Late Mergers/Lane Changers: Do You Let Them In?

Gugny

Late Mergers/Lane Changers: Do You Let Them In?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. Do You Let Them In?

• Always
    • Never
    • Depends on my mood
    • Depends on their license plate

Was going from the 400 to I-90 N and due to backup on 90traffic was backed up in the entire on ramp. It is one lane  and people  were not cutting. I spot someone coming up on the shoulder, so  I move right a bit to not allow him to pass. The guy that came up behind me was gesturing and swearing,  but they cars I could see in front of me and behind me  were all giving me a thumbs up. 

Back when  they were  doing a massive replacement of the 190, they had it down to two lanes with Jersey barriers. We're in my friend's car towing his boat down to the Erie Basin Marina. It's a Sunday morning and most of the cars are out of state tourists  heading up to Niagara Falls.  They are going slow because of the construction, but my friend is doing 45 through there because he was used to going through it to go to work. The  out of staters had scared faces and were white knuckle driving.  We were laughing at them.

Edited by Wacka

@Wacka

Yeah, that's the thing on why using all available lanes up to merge/zipper point is the best... Prevents gridlock. 

There was road construction in Iowa City.  Everyone merging early, one giant single file line. Very quaint and civil in Iowa... But it caused gridlock between 3 lights stretched over a few miles!

I zipped ahead and used the open lane to the merge/zipper point... I know they saw the Illinois plates and thought: "Look at that FIP (***** -in' IllAnnoy Person)!" 😆... BUT I was preventing gridlock. Great they were overly nice and civil,  BUT nobody was moving between the lights and the cross-light traffic was getting pissed. 

/smdh...

Years of living in the North Jersey/NYC area have made me a very angry driver.  If it is an exit or a toll booth with a long line of cars and some douche tries to cut in at the last second, I will not let them in under any circumstances.  As idiotic as it is, I would probably let them run into me instead of letting them skip the entire line.  I have had many close calls where the offender just expects everyone to move out of their way.  

*I say to myself weekly, it would be so much better for my blood pressure and anxiety if I just didn't let idiot drivers get to me.  I just can't be the blissfully oblivious driver. 

• Haha (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, HereComesTheReignAgain said:

Years of living in the North Jersey/NYC area have made me a very angry driver.  If it is an exit or a toll booth with a long line of cars and some douche tries to cut in at the last second, I will not let them in under any circumstances.  As idiotic as it is, I would probably let them run into me instead of letting them skip the entire line.  I have had many close calls where the offender just expects everyone to move out of their way.  

*I say to myself weekly, it would be so much better for my blood pressure and anxiety if I just didn't let idiot drivers get to me.  I just can't be the blissfully oblivious driver. 

From my experience Central to North Jersey and NYC are the most aggressive drivers in the country.

even Philly drivers aren’t as bad 

• Like (+1) 1

I lived in the SF bay area for almost 20 years. Those drivers are bad.Went back there in Feb 2022 to visit. My memory is fine, hey still are bad.

Edited by Wacka

1 hour ago, HereComesTheReignAgain said:

Years ago I started a new job and the best route included a merge where cars were coming off the highway and I was coming down the service road. Without exception, cars coming off the highway acted like they had the right of way. After a few close calls -in part due to my insistence not to give in I decided I'd be better off taking a slightly longer route to work to avoid the daily stress and unnecessary auto body work that was sure to come.

One of my most contentious traffic merges was coming into the GWB from the Jersey side. It was late 80's and I was driving a banged up '73 Dodge Dart - I had the least amount to lose of anyone and had one car that had to be inches from me - eventually he gave in.

Usually I'll let someone in but there is a limit. Getting where I'm going one car length later doesn't matter all that much.

Sometimes though when traffic has become a parking lot or at a pace slower than I can walk, yet people in the merging lane aren't even trying to merge, I'll occupy enough of both lanes to keep from being passed. If I have to wait, they can too.

• Like (+1) 1

I deal with this kind of thing every day. I let them in. There are some horrendous drivers out there...I'm not risking their, my or anyone else's life for someone's poor judgement. 

Not too long ago, I was moving, and had a truck full of stuff, on the interstate. I put my blinker on to get into the exit lane as soon as it is legal to switch lanes.  (If only people would observe the laws about passing over a double white line!0 It was a bad traffic day.  Not one ####### would let me in..,I ended up having to go to the next exit, and loop back around to my destination.  There were plenty of opportunities for someone to let me in...I wasn't going to force it.  Not worth the possible headaches.  I will never understand why people treat their vehicles like weapons. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

The tendency is to assume the drivers where you are are the worst.  The reality is if you move around enough, you will see they are horrific everywhere in this country.

Drive 1,000 miles on German Autobahns and you will NEVER want to get near an American highway again.

It's a clueless, dangerous, slow, free for all.

• Like (+1) 1

On 7/13/2023 at 3:27 PM, Another Fan said:

From my experience Central to North Jersey and NYC are the most aggressive drivers in the country.

even Philly drivers aren’t as bad 

I spent over six years commuting ~120 miles/day (round trip) to the capital region from the north. 

I think the worst drivers are from Vermont because they absolutely REFUSE to use the right lane. They get into the middle lane, pass NO ONE and will not budge. 

NJ drivers are aggressive, but they follow the rules of the road. Same with drivers from downstate NY/NYC. 

PA drivers are aggressive, but also irresponsible and selfish, I.e. passing on the right. 

And anyone driving an Audi, regardless of state, drives like an #######. 100% of them. 

• Haha (+1) 1

23 hours ago, Gugny said:

I spent over six years commuting ~120 miles/day (round trip) to the capital region from the north. 

I think the worst drivers are from Vermont because they absolutely REFUSE to use the right lane. They get into the middle lane, pass NO ONE and will not budge. 

NJ drivers are aggressive, but they follow the rules of the road. Same with drivers from downstate NY/NYC. 

PA drivers are aggressive, but also irresponsible and selfish, I.e. passing on the right. 

And anyone driving an Audi, regardless of state, drives like an #######. 100% of them. 

Vermonters, FWIW, are in the top (#12) that drive the most in the United States, you'd think they'd be good at it!

https://stacker.com/business-economy/states-where-people-drive-most

New York State #50. NYS residents drive the least. More than 1/2 the population lives in NYC.  I am calling BS on knowing rules, you must be getting them confused with an Upstater from Buffalo or Rochester... They actually drive there. 😏 

3 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Vermonters, FWIW, are in the top (#12) that drive the most in the United States, you'd think they'd be good at it!

https://stacker.com/business-economy/states-where-people-drive-most

New York State #50. NYS residents drive the least. More than 1/2 the population lives in NYC.  I am calling BS on knowing rules, you must be getting them confused with an Upstater from Buffalo or Rochester... They actually drive there. 😏 

People who regularly drive in NYC drive aggressively but not poorly. Lots of roaming construction and merging is usually not much of a problem.

If you don’t drive aggressively in NYC you’ll never get where you’re going.  

• Agree 3

2 minutes ago, LeviF said:

People who regularly drive in NYC drive aggressively but not poorly. Lots of roaming construction and merging is usually not much of a problem.

If you don’t drive aggressively in NYC you’ll never get where you’re going.  

Similarly Southern California freeways in my experience

If you're doing 80 in the slow lane people are mad but everyone follows the rules, just at warp speed

4 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

Similarly Southern California freeways in my experience

If you're doing 80 in the slow lane people are mad but everyone follows the rules, just at warp speed

Yeah unless there's a general slowdown or speed cameras, better be pushing that accelerator. 

Worst driving situation right now is likely I-4 in Orlando, we have a ton of tourists, a ton of new people to the area, and a ton of construction right now at a point where almost finished and exits are moving. I admit I was the guy cutting over at the last moment because I was ignoring signs because the exit has been in the same spot for 15 years at least, but they decided to move it for no good reason.😊

On 7/16/2023 at 10:09 AM, Gugny said:

Funny you say this. NC drivers are summed up earlier in the thread in a way.  They're distracted and slow. They drive all lanes at the same speed. They respect the laws and get pissed at.not using blinkers for 5 minutes & driving but drive like old betties. They won't get out of the lane if they're backing up traffic. NY, PA, NJ... Pretty much anyone from the North East owns drivers down here. Texas, Maryland, Michigan are often the fastest drivers I see here. 

Driving the Autobahn then coming home to drive here will make you infuriated. You just stay clogged up and the Germans tell me it is so easy to drive here because "you don't have to pay attention.". 🤮

I've seen cops pull over people backing up traffic in NY. It's glorious. Wish they would here.

I was in a lane that had cars zipper merging into it on I-20 here in Atlanta. Everyone was being good about going every-other car. But when it came time for my turn to let a car in, the merging car in question had a huge Miami Dolphins decal taking up the entire back windshield.

I crept up and locked onto the bumper of the car in front of me and didnt let the Dolphins fan in. When I got next to him he had the window down, flipping me off and yelling, I rolled my window down and yelled "GO BILLS!". Dude just started laughing, shook his head, and backed off and got in behind me.

Worth it.

• Haha (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

On 2/24/2023 at 11:13 AM, WhoTom said:

In the situation shown above, where the other car is in the wrong lane and wants to quickly get into a turning lane, it depends whether the other driver is being polite or being an a-hole. (I voted "depends on my mood" because that was the closest option. I suppose my mood affects my interpretation of their actions, to an extent.)

But when a lane is ending, say in a construction zone, I let the late mergers in because it's better for traffic flow to keep all available lanes occupied for as long as possible.

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/10/13/us/why-last-second-lane-mergers-are-good-for-traffic.html

Exactly all of the above^^^

On 2/24/2023 at 5:48 PM, ExiledInIllinois said:

WTF is that leaking all over highway? It's China, gotta be benzene or something:

That’s a driver who is simply asking to die or to kill someone else.  If you intentionally stop in an active lane of highway traffic you are an idiot.

• Agree 1

On 7/17/2023 at 3:37 PM, boyst said:

Texas, Maryland, Michigan are often the fastest drivers I see here. 

I was in Houston last summer for work, came to the conclusion there are three types of drivers on the highways there...

1) Those that go 10 MPH under the speed limit

2) Those that stay right at the speed limit

3) Those that are auditioning for NASCAR

If someone is driving like a total idiot, won't let them in. In every other case it depends....

Big truck or SUV? Nope, not letting them in.  Car? probably letting them in.  Its not that I'm someone who hates Trucks and Suv's.....just if I'm going to let someone cut in front of me, its not going to be someone driving a 6 foot tall wall that blocks my visibility of what is going on 2-3 or more cars in front of me.  A car I can see above, around, or through much better than a huge truck/suv.

Edited by mjd1001
  • Agree 1

5 hours ago, mjd1001 said:

If someone is driving like a total idiot, won't let them in. In every other case it depenes....

Big truck or SUV? Nope, not letting them in.  Car? probably letting them in.  Its not that I'm someone who hates Trucks and Suv's.....just if I'm going to let someone cut in front of me, its not going to be someone driving a 6 foot tall wall that blocks my visibility of what is going on 2-3 or more cars in front of me.  A car I can see above, around, or through much better than a huge truck/suv.

Same with semis or big trucks.  Last thing I need is a stone on the windshield!

On 7/24/2023 at 4:54 PM, mjd1001 said:

If someone is driving like a total idiot, won't let them in. In every other case it depends....

It's getting to the point where most vehicles on the street are moving walls.  

It's completely absurd.  Cars should be getting smaller, lighter, and more economical.

Instead, we are right back to the 1950s with these land barges that weigh ungodly amounts of weight....create huge mismatch problems in vehicle on vehicle accidents (if they hit a smaller vehicle) and they are often huge blockers of vision.

All, MOST OF THE TIME, to get 1 person from here to there only.

Only in America....literally.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.