NFL.com ranking teams WR situations before free agency/draft

BADOLBILZ

Pretty fair assessment.

We didn't get to see too much of Crowder - but honestly, I thought he made a big difference when he was in.  He seemed like he was turning into a very good 3rd down guy.

The homer in me also holds out hope for Davis, and thinks Shakir could take a big next step.  Don't ask the non-homer.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1

37 minutes ago, Success said:

We didn't get to see too much of Crowder - but honestly, I thought he made a big difference when he was in.  He seemed like he was turning into a very good 3rd down guy.

Hard disagree. Probably just needed more time to get comfortable in a new offense, but he wasn’t good at all during those first 4 games of the season. Caught less than half his targets and IIRC had one bounce of his hands for an interception.

Edited by gobills404
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 2

I think we’d be fine with Davis if Knox was targeted more consistently and/or we had a real NFL slot receiver. 

Diggs targets are fine. I wouldn’t move those up or down significantly. But I would be much more equitable behind him. In that environment, I don’t think fans are so down on Davis. He’ll be considered a weapon not a liability. 

The Bills have 1 player over 50 catches, KC has 3. We need to do a better job of making defenses cover everybody. That will help the OL, Diggs, our RB’s, and Allen. There’s some blame to go around on why that doesn’t happen including OC, QB, and the WR themselves. 

I won’t miss Beasley or Kumerow at all. They were both useless in the pass game. We barely knew Crowder. 

Edited by Mango
  • Like (+1) 3

3 hours ago, philholbroo said:

Mckenzie going to be released, for cap purposes, unless he redoes contract. Could/Probably see a resign on any of those 3 FAs. This years overall FA class not too great and teams not really wanting to trade wrs with low cap numbers so really need to look at draft again.

I'm done with the McKenzie experiment, personally. I do not want to see him back.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 7
  • Thank you (+1) 1

They need a reliable slot guy more than anything and McKenzie isn’t it. He missed his opportunity and was just too afraid of contact to be what the Bills need.  I don’t blame him for that bc that takes being half nuts to play the position well, but the Bills need that more than anything in the passing game. I also think they need more physicality overall on offense with wrs and TEs that can block well in the screen and run game.  There are a lot of easy plays they don’t have bc they really don’t have effective blocking outside and they don’t get playmakers any room to move in space for RAC. Some of the low RAC is also bc Josh is running around making time and the passes are just darts that aren’t timing or designed. 

Parker Washington might be a decent pick in 3rd Rd to fill that role of a good blocking, tough slot receiver.

Edited by Ayjent
  • Like (+1) 2

4 hours ago, MJS said:

I'm done with the McKenzie experiment, personally. I do not want to see him back.

You could say that about several other players too, but they can’t afford to create more holes on this roster with so many needs already. There aren’t enough realistic avenues to upgrade. We can hope Beane hits on one or two early draft picks and adds a couple second-tier free agents who can play, but that’s about it.

Edited by Airseven
  • Disagree 1

I think most of us agree with that assessment.  I think there is still an outside chance that Davis improves his hands - as Knox and Zay Jones did after having problems with drops, but best not to count on that.

I’m not sure that there are great options available in FA - at least that the team can afford.  As far as the draft, I think the team will need luck in how the draft falls in order to address WR early this year.  I think this is a mediocre WR class, but views of prospects can change at the combine next week.  I fear that any WR left at 27 will be at least a minor stretch for that pick and I won’t be very surprised if the to 10 WRs are off the board before the Bills’ 2nd pick.  Last year’s class seemed stronger than this year’s, but 13 WRs were selected before pick 59.

Of course, that doesn’t mean they can’t find a good WR prospect, just that it won’t be easy.

1 - we definitely need an upgrade in talent. I wish we had an Elijah Moore type.

2 - it’s crazy how much criticism that Fields and Jackson get because they are completely surrounded by junk. If the Bears upgrade their receivers, I can see him being a real problem.

3 - KC has an underrated crappy receiving core and it just adds to how great Mahomes is despite fans trying to hype up MVS.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

1 - we definitely need an upgrade in talent. I wish we had an Elijah Moore type.

2 - it’s crazy how much criticism that Fields and Jackson get because they are completely surrounded by junk. If the Bears upgrade their receivers, I can see him being a real problem.

3 - KC has an underrated crappy receiving core and it just adds to how great Mahomes is despite fans trying to hype up MVS.

Point 3 is spot on.  Mahomes is great and he did it with average receivers (but a great TE).

• Like (+1) 1

You can get away with MVS, Juju etc., when your TE is in his prime and, perhaps, the greatest to ever play the position.

• Like (+1) 1

KC was ridiculed here trading Hill last off-season, but their plan to feature Kelce and a sum is greater than the parts WR group obviously was enough for Mahomes.  No one flashy among that latter group, and their points scored even increased slightly.  

OBD will have a renewed emphasis on offense this off-season, but it's purely reactive.  Another thread opined that it's not poor draft execution, but strategy and that should be expanded to all personnel acquisitions.  Buffalo tends to fix issues in one off-season only after an issue has emerged in the previous year which in this case is a less than adequate investment on offense.

One of the weaknesses of the structure at OBD is Buffalo is led by a coach who is a more pedestrian mind, particularly on offense.  For all the criticism of Dorsey, the OC and QB did not have the WR/TE talent necessary to maximize offensive production.  That should have been anticipated after 2021, but alas, here we are.    

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, BillsVet said:

KC was ridiculed here trading Hill last off-season, but their plan to feature Kelce and a sum is greater than the parts WR group obviously was enough for Mahomes.  No one flashy among that latter group, and their points scored even increased slightly.  

OBD will have a renewed emphasis on offense this off-season, but it's purely reactive.  Another thread opined that it's not poor draft execution, but strategy and that should be expanded to all personnel acquisitions.  Buffalo tends to fix issues in one off-season only after an issue has emerged in the previous year which in this case is a less than adequate investment on offense.

One of the weaknesses of the structure at OBD is Buffalo is led by a coach who is a more pedestrian mind, particularly on offense.  For all the criticism of Dorsey, the OC and QB did not have the WR/TE talent necessary to maximize offensive production.  That should have been anticipated after 2021, but alas, here we are.    

But see what KC did? 

They loaded on B- / B WRs. 

They went 5-deep after Kelce. 

When Hardman went down, JuJu and MVS stepped right in, when Toney pulled his hamstring, Skyy Moore was right there. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.