Rex Ryan emerging as favorite for DC in Denver?

Big Blitz

4 hours ago, H2o said:

I guess Payton didn't learn anything from having that crap defense run by the other brother in NO. 

I don't love Rex Ryan or even like him but he's literally 10x the coach his brother is. 

He was an excellent coordinator and you can't take that away from him. PLENTY of people are better coordinators than HC's. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, warrior9 said:

I don't love Rex Ryan or even like him but he's literally 10x the coach his brother is. 

He was an excellent coordinator and you can't take that away from him. PLENTY of people are better coordinators than HC's. 

His hands were all over ruining the #4 overall defense in the NFL, which we had prior to his arrival in 2015. Our defenses were putrid under Rex and that was supposed to be his forte. 

37 minutes ago, warrior9 said:

He was. But he hasn't been a coordinator since 2008 and his sole coordinating experience in the NFL came with a defense containing three current or future HoFers in Ed Reed, Ray Lewis and Terrell Suggs. 

However you want to badge his input on the defenses in New York and Buffalo in his final years as a Head Coach they made the top 10 only once in his last four seasons. I think the league passed him by somewhat. Having said that... the mid 10s were definitely the era of 4-3 and cover 3... there has been a bit of a pivot back towards the 3-4 but even that is with more Fangio style schemes that are about confusion and coverage rather than the Rex Ryan blitz the hell out of you and leave our corners on an island approach. 

Edited by GunnerBill
  • Like (+1) 1

57 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

He was. But he hasn't been a coordinator since 2008 and his sole coordinating experience in the NFL came with a defense containing three current or future HoFers in Ed Reed, Ray Lewis and Terrell Suggs. 

However you want to badge his input on the defenses in New York and Buffalo in his final years as a Head Coach they made the top 10 only once in his last four seasons. I think the league passed him by somewhat. Having said that... the mid 10s were definitely the era of 4-3 and cover 3... there has been a bit of a pivot back towards the 3-4 but even that is with more Fangio style schemes that are about confusion and coverage rather than the Rex Ryan blitz the hell out of you and leave our corners on an island approach. 

Yeah I don't disagree. I was more or less just defending him as an infinitely better coach than his brother. 

Maybe...Rex's scheme of heavy man and blitz will be BETTER? in todays game. It's absolutely a risk for them to take since he hasn't been coaching in 7 years and the game has changed a lot. 

1 hour ago, H2o said:

His hands were all over ruining the #4 overall defense in the NFL, which we had prior to his arrival in 2015. Our defenses were putrid under Rex and that was supposed to be his forte. 

Again, don't disagree. Like I said, being an HC and balancing that with being a coordinator is not easy and MOST fail. He wasn't an exception, unfortunately.

If you fast forward to today. We have a top 5 defense but.... what does that even mean? That defense FELT like a bottom 10 defense this year. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1

12 minutes ago, The Frankish Reich said:

Leslie Frazier haters, remember that Rex Ryan is the antiuniverse Frazier:

- fat white guy; skinny black guy

- loudmouth know it all; calm, quiet tactician

- all blitzes and stunts, forcing the action and gunning for the big play; all bend but don’t break, let ‘em kill their own drive. 

So what you're saying is we need to find middle sized bi-racial guy, who knows when to speak, knows when to listen, and is adaptable to incorporate all styles of defense depending on the opponent. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

13 hours ago, wppete said:

Love this! Getting exciting! A DC with a pulse. The opposite of Frazier. Hope he gets the job, will be watching the show in Denver next year for sure. 

What in the actual *****?  Rex's "pulse" is a disaster.  There's no excuse for this ignorant of a comment from a Bills fan, unless you were born in 2017

1 hour ago, warrior9 said:

Yeah I don't disagree. I was more or less just defending him as an infinitely better coach than his brother. 

Maybe...Rex's scheme of heavy man and blitz will be BETTER? in todays game. It's absolutely a risk for them to take since he hasn't been coaching in 7 years and the game has changed a lot. 

Again, don't disagree. Like I said, being an HC and balancing that with being a coordinator is not easy and MOST fail. He wasn't an exception, unfortunately.

If you fast forward to today. We have a top 5 defense but.... what does that even mean? That defense FELT like a bottom 10 defense this year. 

Talk about asinine comments. It doesn't matter how you felt.  We were top 2. 

• Haha (+1) 2

18 minutes ago, FireChans said:

What in the actual *****?  Rex's "pulse" is a disaster.  There's no excuse for this ignorant of a comment from a Bills fan, unless you were born in 2017

Talk about asinine comments. It doesn't matter how you felt.  We were top 2. 

Ohh complete nonsense. I’ll take Rex over Frazier all day. 

• Haha (+1) 2
  • Dislike 1

9 minutes ago, TheFunPolice said:

Now it sounds like it's not happening with Vance Joseph interviewing...

That's a bummer

The notion of him being “a top candidate” for a DC job seemed like nothing more than some PR Rex or his agent had put out there. I’d be floored if any team seriously considered him. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.