Daboll/Hodgins - Does their success bother you?

Virgil

1 minute ago, Eastport bills said:

Dabol was gone as soon as Josh became a star. He’s obviously a QB whisperer. Who knew he was a better HC than Sean. Oh well. Hodgins is just an indictment of Beane,Dorsey and Hall for poor personnel evaluation. This guy languished on the practice squad for 2 years and actually looked good during the exhibition season. They love the guy from the Packers who can’t get on the field and has been useless.

To be fair Hodgins had injuries. This would’ve been his first real opportunity to play. Brandon Beane lost the roster game. Same thing with Wyatt Teller. Lost the roster game. He decided to trade Teller because they were going to cut him.

Neither of the situations bother me. Daboll deserved to be a HC imo. He showed enough to warrant that shot. I'm happy for him that he is already having the success he's seen. Takes the Giants from anonymity to the Playoffs and gets COY? That's awesome. I'm also happy for Hodgins as well. He wasn't ever going to get the playing time here that he saw with the Giants. He was behind Gabe, McBBQ, and Kumerow on the DC. He was able to hook back up with a coach who knew him, on a team where he already knew the system, and they were starving for WR's. It was the perfect landing spot. Good for both of them. I wish them continued success. 

• Like (+1) 2

25 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

I actually think the offense was better in 2022. Redzone early on was worse but improved. The biggest difference was Allen got hot in the playoffs.

well, i suppose same numbers w less vol is better, and it reflected in our win loss record (we were 7-6 last season, never got close to stinking it up like that this reagular season).  

to me, our blocking at the end of the season this year was worse, bordering no awful for our last game.  lazy fatbodies like our LT and LG in leadership roles no less is not something we can over come.

• Disagree 1

47 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Hodgins is their slightly better version of Duke Williams. He is producing because they have no one else to throw the ball to. This is not a Wyatt Teller situation where we mistakenly let a legitimate top tier player go to another team. If Hodgins was here we would still have a big need at WR next year. He's just a placeholder.

Agree 100% with this. 

Although I'd actually say he is their Robert Foster. Catching balls because there is nobody else

Edited by GunnerBill

1 minute ago, colin said:

well, i suppose same numbers w less vol is better, and it reflected in our win loss record (we were 7-6 last season, never got close to stinking it up like that this reagular season).  

to me, our blocking at the end of the season this year was worse, bordering no awful for our last game.  lazy fatbodies like our LT and LG in leadership roles no less is not something we can over come.

We forget the musical chairs on the OL last year. Bates started a few games to end the season and translated that into a nice starting OG contract last offseason. The offense stalled out at times under Daboll as well. I still think Allens worst game since 2019 was home to Atlanta in 2021. 

Add in Allen’s injury in 2022 and I think the offense was better. Analytically they were better. DVOA 10th ranked offense in 2021, 2nd ranked in 2022. Says a little bit. 

• Like (+1) 1

54 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

Besides not beating out Kummerow in camp, he's now been healthy for what 1/3 seasons?

Hodges did not do the Kummerow role as WR.  None of them did even replacement players.

Kummerow enabled parts of WR plans to work doing blocking down field and Hodges is not a good blocker.

He reminds me of Robert Woods who did not get respect he deserved when here.

1 minute ago, GunnerBill said:

Agree 100% with this. 

Although I'd actually say he is their Robert Foster. Catching balls because there is nobody else

But I mean he wasn't even doing much of that outside the 2 Vikings games...his high for other games was 4 for 42...hardly a huge loss.

• Agree 1

6 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

To be fair Hodgins had injuries. This would’ve been his first real opportunity to play. Brandon Beane lost the roster game. Same thing with Wyatt Teller. Lost the roster game. He decided to trade Teller because they were going to cut him.

So where are the guys we brought in, from other teams practice squad that have made a difference. I can’t think of any. Dorsey never brought Hodgins into the offense, similar to Hines, Shakir and even the backs. How many receptions did Motor/Cook have other than check downs. Our offense was predicated on Josh making great plays and Diggs playing lights out. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Virgil said:

While I know that McD was never leaving as our HC, nor am I calling for it, I still think about the rift between him and McD in the final year.  

With Dorsey's alleged struggles, and our inability to find a solid WR2 on the team, the Hodgins thing bothers me more.  We weren't so flush with talent that cracking our depth chart was hard.  Hell, we brought back Beasley and Smoke.  So how did we miss on the opportunity that Hodgins was so badly?

I don't know, maybe I'm just bitter.  

You need to go directly to the pot shop.

Get yourself some nice indica bud.

And chill the f*ck out.

3 minutes ago, Eastport bills said:

So where are the guys we brought in, from other teams practice squad that have made a difference. I can’t think of any. Dorsey never brought Hodgins into the offense, similar to Hines, Shakir and even the backs. How many receptions did Motor/Cook have other than check downs. Our offense was predicated on Josh making great plays and Diggs playing lights out. 

Good teams typically don’t have roster space to add from practice squads. Bills released Hodgins for that exact reason.

We’ve lost a lot of draft picks over the last few years due to trying to get them on the practice squad.

Hodgins deserved a chance … which he wasn’t going to get here apparently.. I think he has got some way to go before I start crying over the one that got away…

Dabol seems a good motivator… although it takes more than that as we see here… Let’s see him do it again and take a further step..I got nothing against him, so if he has more success then great…

1 hour ago, Virgil said:

While I know that McD was never leaving as our HC, nor am I calling for it, I still think about the rift between him and McD in the final year.  

With Dorsey's alleged struggles, and our inability to find a solid WR2 on the team, the Hodgins thing bothers me more.  We weren't so flush with talent that cracking our depth chart was hard.  Hell, we brought back Beasley and Smoke.  So how did we miss on the opportunity that Hodgins was so badly?

I don't know, maybe I'm just bitter.  

Virg, I’m happy for Dabs and Hodgins.  We lost out on Teller, and now on Hodgins choosing Kumerow.

Dabs was going to get a HC job at some point, so no.  If anything bud, it’s a compliment to McBeane for hiring and helping with the development of Dabs.

I’m happy for both of them.  Would I have liked Teller and Hodgins, yes, but Beane doesn’t have a crystal ball and they should never hold back on a coordinator getting a HC job.

What I think we should take a peak at and can’t believw I'm saying it as I’m normally not that guy is Gesecki.

They already wanted another pass catching TE.  His market cap value on Spotrac is $8.3 mil.  As a referrence

Milano’s was $13.75 mil prior to his contract extension and we paid him as everyone knows was $11 mil.

TE is a good position in FA as it’s not as expensive, they obviously with Howard wanted a 12 personnel option, but didn’t work out.  We secured in trade and the draft two pass catching RB’s.  We would be more dynamic as an offense.  The WR we can take with a 1st RD pick.  Take Guards in the 2nd and 3rd.

Safety in the 4th.

15 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

Hodges did not do the Kummerow role as WR.  None of them did even replacement players.

Kummerow enabled parts of WR plans to work doing blocking down field and Hodges is not a good blocker.

He reminds me of Robert Woods who did not get respect he deserved when here.

Woods has been a solid #2 WR though and has the stats to prove it. And he also blocks. I'd prefer a WR that gets open and catches the ball to one that exclusively ... blocks and... tackles? 

Besides, I thought that's what we were doing with Knox this year, ya know...blocking decoy.

Not being critical of you, but it was a wasted roster spot at a critical position and one that we were sorely in need of improving at. 2 cents.

It kind of bothers me that after investing all the time in Hodgins & when drafted he was thought to be a really good option in the slot or that was what he was in college & he was never truly given a legit shot at being a contributor & now the Giants have him & probably won't let him go .

And Mckenzie was paid & to this point really has just 1 really good game under his belt ...

Daboll doesn't bother me.

People have selective amnesia, but right up until the last four games or so of the 2021 regular season, people were ready to run Daboll out of town, too. Truly. Go back and look at some gameday threads from his entire tenure here and you'll see a whooooole lot of Daboll hate. 

McDermott is a good head coach. Playoffs five out of six seasons. 13 wins two out of the last three seasons. Consistent playoff participants. STILL top two in Super Bowl odds entering next season. As such, he was never going anywhere, so Daboll's exit was always an eventuality.

Hodgins bothers me a little bit more. I'm okay with losing good players sometimes. When you're a good, deep team, you lose good coaches and good players. That's what happens. But Hodgins, in particular, feels like he's part of a bigger trend of our coaching staff not trusting or giving a chance to rookies and youngsters quickly enough. Wyatt Teller, Isaiah Hodgins, Khalil Shakir, Kaiir Elam....I'd like to see the coaches give these players a little more leash and a little more opportunity to work through their lumps on the field. Had they done so with Hodgins, he might have been a productive receiver for the Bills instead of the Giants.

Edited by Logic
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 4

Nope.

If our coaches are as good as they say they are, we should routinely see people leave our staff and flourish elsewhere.  That's a clear sign of a healthy, well-run organization that develops its people.  Daboll's success reflects well on the Bills.

Obviously it would have been nice to keep Hodgins, but he wouldn't have made a difference this year and we need to do better than him next year.  

14 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Good teams typically don’t have roster space to add from practice squads. Bills released Hodgins for that exact reason.

We’ve lost a lot of draft picks over the last few years due to trying to get them on the practice squad.

Fair point, but let’s face facts. Can you think of any draft choices that have flourished under Dorsey? Cook took half the season to contribute but only after Moss was misused and dumped. Davis regressed, Shakir hardly played, Sweeney hardly played, Brown played but was poor in protection, Morris was used sparingly. I’d like to spend draft capital on offensive weapons but this OC has to integrate them into a balanced, dynamic offense. So far I’m skeptical.

When your team puts up just 10 points in a pivotal playoff matchup, and two of the major roster deficiencies that led to that failure were guard and wide receiver depth, and when two guys that we drafted in Wyatt Teller and Isaiah Hodgins are playing for other teams instead of fixing those deficiencies, due almost solely to a hesitance to trust young talent.....how can it not be at least a little bothersome?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.