Daboll/Hodgins - Does their success bother you?

Virgil

While I know that McD was never leaving as our HC, nor am I calling for it, I still think about the rift between him and McD in the final year.  

With Dorsey's alleged struggles, and our inability to find a solid WR2 on the team, the Hodgins thing bothers me more.  We weren't so flush with talent that cracking our depth chart was hard.  Hell, we brought back Beasley and Smoke.  So how did we miss on the opportunity that Hodgins was so badly?

I don't know, maybe I'm just bitter.  

• Like (+1) 5
  • Disagree 3
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Virgil said:

While I know that McD was never leaving as our HC, nor am I calling for it, I still think about the rift between him and McD in the final year.  

With Dorsey's alleged struggles, and our inability to find a solid WR2 on the team, the Hodgins thing bothers me more.  We weren't so flush with talent that cracking our depth chart was hard.  Hell, we brought back Beasley and Smoke.  So how did we miss on the opportunity that Hodgins was so badly?

Did you see games that didn't include Minnesota?  His high point was 4 catches for 42 yards outside of the 2 Minnesota games.  So no, not that upset. He is a JAG with lots of opportunities there because they have no good WRs. I am not sure he was even as good as Robert Foster was here.

Edited by Big Turk
  • Like (+1) 8
  • Agree 8
  • Thank you (+1) 2

Hodgins is their slightly better version of Duke Williams. He is producing because they have no one else to throw the ball to. This is not a Wyatt Teller situation where we mistakenly let a legitimate top tier player go to another team. If Hodgins was here we would still have a big need at WR next year. He's just a placeholder.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 3

No because Daboll wasn't going to stay here forever. Unless Terry Pegula fired McDermott and gave Daboll the job, there was no way the Bills had anything left to give him in order to stay. 

Hodgins? He's not Ja'Marr Chase. He's a nice possession WR. But he was hurt for two straight years, and he will never be a #1 or #2 on a Super Bowl winning team. 

• Agree 2

2 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Hodgins is their slightly better version of Duke Williams. He is producing because they have no one else to throw the ball to. This is not a Wyatt Teller situation where we mistakenly let a legitimate top tier player go to another team. If Hodgins was here we would still have a big need at WR next year. He's just a placeholder.

Don’t bring up Teller, it’s still too soon.  However, Beane has openly admitted to messing that one up 

I wonder about Chad Hall. Hodgins was supposed to be a big slot WR for us. With Crowder injured there was a huge opportunity for Hodgins to take over the slot role or at least split with McKenzie. Instead Hodgins was working as depth behind Diggs.

It’s a missed opportunity. Looks like they didn’t evaluate their players well.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

10 minutes ago, Virgil said:

People on here loved Kumerow for his ST ability, people thought Gabe was gonna be the 2nd coming, and Mckenzie was gonna be cheetah-esque.  

The reality is Kumerow is worthless (and finished the season hurt), Gabe was a massive disappointment, and I'm still unsure why we kept Isiah at all. Honestly, I thought Ray ray was the better choice, but I digress. 

There really is, there is no excuse for not keeping Hodgins. We kept him while injured, we were patient with his rehab, he started producing when healthy and given the opportunity. He's not a game breaker, but there's no excuse for not keeping him after all we did to keep him as long as we did.

I have no issue with Daboll's success either, last I checked they'll be watching the SB too.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Disagree 1

we had like almost exactly the same O numbers in 22 as 21, but with lower vol, basically because we got conservative on our win streak after losing to minni in order to stop the red zone TOs.

im fine w dorsey, i think he gets better year 2.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, colin said:

we had like almost exactly the same O numbers in 22 as 21, but with lower vol, basically because we got conservative on our win streak after losing to minni in order to stop the red zone TOs.

im fine w dorsey, i think he gets better year 2.

I actually think the offense was better in 2022. Redzone early on was worse but improved. The biggest difference was Allen got hot in the playoffs.

• Like (+1) 1

The Hodgins success doesnt bother me in the least.  He is a guy that took advantadge of the Giants' need for a wideout, someone had to catch the ball.  Robert Foster had a similar season here in 2018 because he filled a need.

On Daboll, I think he is a fantastic coach, but I think its highly debatable that McDermott had just as good a year as Daboll did.  Especially considering the amount of crap he had to wade through to get this team to 13 wins.    The grass isnt always greener.

Edited by thenorthremembers
  • Like (+1) 1

Dabol was gone as soon as Josh became a star. He’s obviously a QB whisperer. Who knew he was a better HC than Sean. Oh well. Hodgins is just an indictment of Beane,Dorsey and Hall for poor personnel evaluation. This guy languished on the practice squad for 2 years and actually looked good during the exhibition season. They love the guy from the Packers who can’t get on the field and has been useless.

• Eyeroll 1
  • Disagree 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.