Daboll/Hodgins - Does their success bother you?

Virgil

The Chiefs success is what bothers me. Everything they get, is what we envisioned for ourselves.

- #1 seed in playoffs (again)

- healthy team

- We sign Von Miller to be the closer that gets us to the SB, he gets hurt, and meanwhile Chris Jones takes KC to SB
- Trent mcduffie (yes ill include it because most of us wanted him and they specifically got in front of us to get him)

- nailing their draft despite tight salary cap

- getting to the Super Bowl the year bills were everyone’s pre season pick. Not to mention, we were better than KC when we played them this season, but what do you know.. the VERY NEXT GAME WE PLAY against Packers is when the season started to fall apart and the bizarre red zone turnovers started.

KC curse??

I mean we COULD go on and on… 13 seconds is the biggest of all… but we all know that. 

I don’t really care about Daboll and Hodgins. We still don’t get to the Super Bowl with them. 

But i am jealous of the chiefs. 

6 minutes ago, Eastport bills said:

Fair point, but let’s face facts. Can you think of any draft choices that have flourished under Dorsey? Cook took half the season to contribute but only after Moss was misused and dumped. Davis regressed, Shakir hardly played, Sweeney hardly played, Brown played but was poor in protection, Morris was used sparingly. I’d like to spend draft capital on offensive weapons but this OC has to integrate them into a balanced, dynamic offense. So far I’m skeptical.

Under Dorsey? They didn’t really give their rookies much playing time. None of them looked overwhelmed when they did get time, so that says something. I think the overall opinion on this draft class was we wanted more playing time. 

Not at all. Hodgkins couldn't stay healthy until his last year here, and even then we tried to keep him around.

Iirc, we were struggling with injuries around the time he was released, and if nobody else had picked him up, he might well have been back on the practise squad, if not immediately, then within a short space of time.

Hodgkins was lucky the Bills kept him around as long as they did - he could quite easily have been waived/injury settlement before his second year, and if he had been, would he even have still been on the Giants radar?

Daboll deserved a shot, and has made the most of it.

Having said that, it wasn't a bad spot for him to land. The Giants have some talent. Jones may not be top tier, but he does have the potential to be a genuine starting QB in the league, and with a healthy Saquon, he had enough to work with, at least on Offense, and getting Wink as his DC was a very good move.

All due respect for Hodgins, but he had one decent game and one pretty good game. And he was brought down to earth rather rudely the week after. Losing Hodgins did not and does not make one iota of a difference to the Bills’ prospects for success moving forward. 

As for Daboll, I am only happy as hell for him. His COTY award only reflects positively on McDermott as without McD, Daboll never would have gotten the opportunity so soon. 

Let's be real.  

Not too many people on this board were banging the drum for Hodgins to make the 53 or be active. 

No it dosen't bother me, I'm happy that he got his chance to display his skills. 

Every team has had a player they gave up on but shined somewhere else.

Hopefully the Bills will start drafting impact players. 

1 hour ago, somnus00 said:

To be fair, he wasn't plucked by Daboll and Shein until late in the season when their WR corps was decimated.

But it is concerning that a team with drop problems couldn't find a place for Hodgins' sure hands.

Also to be fair, they did try to keep him I believe, but were devastated by DB injuries and ran out of call-ups for Hodgins. I could be wrong there, but it seems they did not WANT to expose him to waivers, they were just left with few other options.  Life in the NFL, especially with teams with above average talent. 

BUT, to the thread title, I’m happy for both of them. We knew we’d miss Daboll, but it seems a bit more difficult than many expected. Very happy for Hodgins to get a shot as well. 

Edited by Augie
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Warcodered said:

Besides not beating out Kummerow in camp, he's now been healthy for what 1/3 seasons?

I never understood it. What was this obsession with guys like Kumerow or Gentry. Why did we allow Hodgins to get poached while we kinda panic returning Bease & Smoke.  Shakir is hardly allowed to develop?  So many odd decisions. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

Their success doesn’t bother me other than it is just an example of Buffalo not evaluating and using their talent correctly, ( Hodgins, Shakir & Elam cough cough, ) they had a receiver on board that they let go who scored something to the tune of six or seven TDs for another team, the guy evidently has what it takes to play receiver in the NFL, and our GM and  offensive coaches let him walk, just frustrating. Someone make me a martini stat, 🍸🚬😁

its like the Brady bunch around here, Marcia Marcia Marcia or in our  case Defense defense defense when what we need is offense offense offense…  quick, another Martini 🍸 🚬😁

Go Bills!!!

Edited by Don Otreply

39 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Under Dorsey? They didn’t really give their rookies much playing time. None of them looked overwhelmed when they did get time, so that says something. I think the overall opinion on this draft class was we wanted more playing time. 

The point I’m making is there are no homegrown players that are thriving in our offense. Motor has regressed and will be gone. Knox caught some red zone passes but he is underused in our offense. It’s got to change for us to get over the hump.

• Agree 1

39 minutes ago, BBills_88 said:

Let's be real.  

Not too many people on this board were banging the drum for Hodgins to make the 53 or be active. 

No it dosen't bother me, I'm happy that he got his chance to display his skills. 

Every team has had a player they gave up on but shined somewhere else.

Hopefully the Bills will start drafting impact players. 

Actually there were quite a few of us banging the drum, several threads were active doing just that…

12 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

I never understood it. What was this obsession with guys like Kumerow or Gentry. Why did we allow Hodgins to get poached while we kinda panic returning Bease & Smoke.  Shakir is hardly allowed to develop?  So many odd decisions. 

Maybe this should be in the Hall thread, as well? Things can seem odd when we don’t have enough info. This may be one of those cases? Maybe they were not pleased with how he brought along the younger guys, before they brought back the old guys. I’m not saying that is the case, but it’s a plausible explanation.

Maybe the writing was on the wall already, and we just didn’t see it. 

Edited by Augie

11 minutes ago, Eastport bills said:

The point I’m making is there are no homegrown players that are thriving in our offense. Motor has regressed and will be gone. Knox caught some red zone passes but he is underused in our offense. It’s got to change for us to get over the hump.

It was kind of like last year with Motor. Started slow then realized he’s better than the other guys. This year Cook started coming on so he lost some touches.

Knox was an issue earlier but they finally found him in the offense.

The problem on offense is the lack of talent pretty much. Not a lot to work with. Not many high draft picks. A bunch of mid round guys surrounding Allen.

Edited by Buffalo_Stampede
  • Like (+1) 1

54 minutes ago, BobBelcher said:

The Chiefs success is what bothers me. Everything they get, is what we envisioned for ourselves.

- #1 seed in playoffs (again)

- healthy team

- We sign Von Miller to be the closer that gets us to the SB, he gets hurt, and meanwhile Chris Jones takes KC to SB
- Trent mcduffie (yes ill include it because most of us wanted him and they specifically got in front of us to get him)

- nailing their draft despite tight salary cap

- getting to the Super Bowl the year bills were everyone’s pre season pick. Not to mention, we were better than KC when we played them this season, but what do you know.. the VERY NEXT GAME WE PLAY against Packers is when the season started to fall apart and the bizarre red zone turnovers started.

KC curse??

I mean we COULD go on and on… 13 seconds is the biggest of all… but we all know that. 

I don’t really care about Daboll and Hodgins. We still don’t get to the Super Bowl with them. 

But i am jealous of the chiefs. 

I just wish we could hit on picks like KC does. I have no control over coaching and I know Andy will always outcoach Sean in a playoff game.  We just have to stop drafting decent players like Hodgins & Teller, only to allow them to move on.

2 hours ago, Virgil said:

While I know that McD was never leaving as our HC, nor am I calling for it, I still think about the rift between him and McD in the final year.  

With Dorsey's alleged struggles, and our inability to find a solid WR2 on the team, the Hodgins thing bothers me more.  We weren't so flush with talent that cracking our depth chart was hard.  Hell, we brought back Beasley and Smoke.  So how did we miss on the opportunity that Hodgins was so badly?

I don't know, maybe I'm just bitter.  

I get Hodgins had some success on the field this year in terms of TD's.  But he is not a great starting WR for one, he has little down field ability.  He is role playing possession receiver at best.  He was not the savior we needed this year because he didn't play offensive line, which was the biggest issue we had.  Take Robert Foster for instance...when we had a bad WR group, someone had to play and catch the ball.  But ultimately he wasn't a guy who stuck anywhere as a full time WR, he wasn't even used here the next year despite being on the roster.  

So I don't lose any sleep over Hodgins, he wouldn't likely even seen the field much if the Giants had anything resembling a WR core when they brought him in.  Once Giants rebuild that WR room, Hodgins is going to be down on the depth chart again and battling for a reserve role like he was here.  Unfortunately for Hodgins, he brings very little to Special Teams, which will make his reserve role battle that much more intense.   

Daboll doesn't bother me cuz he was always going to leave for a HC gig, so happy to see him have some early success and finally learn how to use a damn RB.  

3 hours ago, Virgil said:

While I know that McD was never leaving as our HC, nor am I calling for it, I still think about the rift between him and McD in the final year.  

With Dorsey's alleged struggles, and our inability to find a solid WR2 on the team, the Hodgins thing bothers me more.  We weren't so flush with talent that cracking our depth chart was hard.  Hell, we brought back Beasley and Smoke.  So how did we miss on the opportunity that Hodgins was so badly?

I don't know, maybe I'm just bitter.  

I’ve met Daboll. He seemed a like a good dude. His fiancée (now wife) was very nice too. Our daughters knew each other from soccer and she is a good kid too. Incidentally my friend’s son took her to prom last year. I saw the pictures. She really grew up to be beautiful. I wish him and his family nothing but the best. I have never met Hodgins or his family, but I have no problem seeing him do well. Good for him. Unless I know that someone is a bad person I don’t begrudge anyone their success. If I think they’re a good person, then I root for it. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.