The Bills have a Tre White problem

Back2Buff

7 hours ago, Back2Buff said:

The whole Tre White situation to start the year was strange at first, but then you seen him get on the field, and you realized why he wasn't playing.  The guy was not very good this year at all.  Some will blame the injury, but how many games you going to give a guy till he is back to playing up to his very large payday?

I think White will never be what he was.  He looked old out there, even after just playing 5 or 6 games this year.  I also think his playing style limits the entire defense on the type of defense we can play.  He does not excel in press man and needs to play off guys.  I personally think this team needs to play more press man.  Tough to transition to that when your "number 1" CB and 16 million dollar man can't play it at a top level.

Problem with White is, you can't get out of his contract.  His dead cap is higher than if he is on the team.

The only option I really see, is if Taron Johnson takes over for Poyer at safety.  Tre moves to nickel corner where he will be less exposed on an island, and you bring in another press man outside CB to pair with Elam.  Elam's strength is press man and it was really head scratching you drafted him and then played him in a zone.

Ya let him play out the contract and then let him walk if he does not improve.  

We need better depth at CB and I hope that he turns it around.

Be realistic.  White was not up to his previous level of play.  It is not physical but mental.  Give him the off season to get his game back.   Not ready to kick him to the curb but he was average upon his return.   Patience is needed.

7 hours ago, Back2Buff said:

What's a pass rush going to do when your CB has to play 5 yards off a player because he will get burned if he doesn't, and the QB just pops it out in 2 secs to the WR that has a 5 yard cushion?

All of their receivers had at least 5 yard cushions, we were playing the cover nobody defense.

• Agree 1

7 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

No offense, but this post is way off base.  Many of us repeatedly told this board that it can take until the following season before a player comes fully back from this injury.  Yet this delusion persisted that not only was Tre gonna be ready week 1, but he’d quickly get back to his old self.  That was never likely going to happen no matter how many people tried to convince themselves otherwise.

Bills don’t have a Tre problem (at least not yet), they have a problem with inaccurate expectations on Tre from fans this past season.  

Tre may or may not get back to the player he was, but that was never really going to be known until next season.  

Good post AD. That said, the Bills have a priority problem.

• Thank you (+1) 1

10 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

The fact that people actually liked the OP’s post shows the kind of posters that we have on this board lately

They have a small window when everyone is mad and 💩 posting to throw all their terrible ideas out there and hope someone is also crazy enough to hit 👍🏼

3 hours ago, Buffalo Super Fan said:

It usually takes a full year after a injury like that but yes I think Tre White best football years are behind him and I would trade him if the Buffalo Bills can find a party interested. Get a number one pick and waive good bye because he is just average at best player now in my opinion. Go Bills! Let’s Go Buffalo 

Just stupid stupid stupid
He’s not old

Nobody is giving up a first round pick for him

He is worth more to us than he is to anyone else

22 hours ago, Ramza86 said:

Hmmmm..I think he did get a little quicker as the season went on.

He looked SUPER SLOW those first 2-3 games, but I saw a little more burst to end the year.

I think hell get back to his form or at least close to it.

Agreed!

Beane deserves all the blame he's getting for the O-line problems, but he was just snake-bit in the secondary. White, Poyer, Hyde, Johnson. That's a pro-bowl lineup across the board. 

Most optimistic view for next year: White returns to form, Hyde doesn't show his age yet, Elam turns into a star, and Beane or McDermott find an adequate strong safety. 

Most pessimistic: White remains a slow, grabby, hesitant player, Hyde starts his decline, Elam is a bust, and the strong safety is a liability. 

Most realistic: White and Elam improve but top out as average starters, Hyde starts strong but starts to fade by the end of the season; Benson or whoever is adequate but not much more. 

In short, the secondary should be better next year, but that's not saying much. 

23 hours ago, T master said:

Any time i have ever seen a player have a ACL injury it takes a year for them to get back into form so i'm going to wait to see what next year brings with Tre i believe he will be working even harder to prove he is our guy once again .

Some fans (bless their hearts) seem to think being elevated from IR means they are 100% back from injury, when it actually means they can now start their long recovery process towards playing at the same pre injury level, takes a year plus from elevation from IR to get to that point.

Edited by Don Otreply
  • Agree 1

23 hours ago, Big Turk said:

If he is not back to his old self by Thanksgiving next year then maybe. Way too early to say that now.

A CB, who was never a speedster, turning 29 next season, coming off of an ACL injury…. I wouldn’t expect him to ever be the Tre we knew again.

8 minutes ago, Einstein said:

A CB, who was never a speedster, turning 29 next season, coming off of an ACL injury…. I wouldn’t expect him to ever be the Tre we knew again.

He ran a 4.4 40...that is fast by anyone's definition.

Your other two points are mostly irrelevant to the conversation.

10 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

He ran a 4.4 40...that is fast by anyone's definition.

4.47 actually. Which is closer to 4.5 than 4.4 but that wouldn’t fit your narrative. 4.47 is slow for a CB. That was always the knock on Tre coming out - he wasn’t super fast.

To put it into perspective, if he was in last years (2022) draft, he would have been the 16th fastest CB. Only 5 ran slower - 3 of those went undrafted and 1 was drafted in the 7th round.

10 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

Your other two points are mostly irrelevant to the conversation.

Getting older and having an ACL injury at one point isn’t relevant to his future play? Er, ok.

Studies disagree.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.