FYI…for those worried about cap space Josh solves all problems

78thealltimegreat

Howard and Jeremy on WGR this morning where having a discussion about the Bills Cap space…when looking into it a simple restructuring of Josh’s contract and just his alone would allow the Bills to have up to 21 million in cap space. Much less others on the team. 

So while I don’t expect the Bills to major free agent players. They can easily slide a vet or two on the roster if the vet comes at the right price. 

On the negative the franchise tag for a LB is 20 million and the transition tag is 15…so with other needs like many have been screaming about like oline Tremaine is signing long term or he’s gone. Such is life in the NFL. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

Just now, 78thealltimegreat said:

Howard and Jeremy on WGR this morning where having a discussion about the Bills Cap space…when looking into it a simple restructuring of Josh’s contract and just his alone would allow the Bills to have up to 21 million in cap space. Much less others on the team. 

So while I don’t expect the Bills to major free agent players. They can easily slide a vet or two on the roster if the vet comes at the right price. 

On the negative the franchise tag for a LB is 20 million and the transition tag is 15…so with other needs like many have been screaming about like oline Tremaine is signing long term or he’s gone. Such is life in the NFL. 

I just can’t see the bills using the franchise tag

• Agree 1

They can probably backload Tremaine's contract given how young he is.   You expect he'll, at least, play at his current level through the entirety of his contract.

Restructuring Allen is, of course, going to be available for us.  Have the Chiefs touched Mahomes contract yet? 

2 minutes ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

Restructuring just pushes the bill down the road.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, 78thealltimegreat said:

Tremaine can chase more money elsewhere...he's used to chasing things.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 7
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

1 minute ago, SCBills said:

They can probably backload Tremaine's contract given how young he is.   You expect he'll, at least, play at his current level through the entirety of his contract.

Restructuring Allen is, of course, going to be available for us.  Have the Chiefs touched Mahomes contract yet? 

2 years ago Mahomes and Hill was restructured to get an offensive line. it worked out well for them.

Just now, BringBackFergy said:

Tremaine can chase more money elsewhere...he's used to chasing things.

I would argue scheme has put Edmunds in bad situations. Last game, the middle of the field was open ALL GAME LONG. That is not on tre if he is schemed to go elsewhere. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, PrimeTime101 said:

2 years ago Mahomes and Hill was restructured to get an offensive line. it worked out well for them.

I would argue scheme has put Edmunds in bad situations. Last game, the middle of the field was open ALL GAME LONG. That is not on tre if he is schemed to go elsewhere. 

The foundation of the Tampa 2 defensive scheme is linebacker covering the middle of the field on pass plays.

If you pay Edmunds you seal your fate. Send joe Burrow a box a cigars with that contract.

He's just not a enough of a difference maker when. It matters.

Edited by Sharky7337
  • Like (+1) 8
  • Agree 2

2 minutes ago, Sharky7337 said:

The foundation of the Tampa 2 defensive scheme is linebacker covering the middle of the field on pass plays.

If you pay Edmunds you seal your fate. Send joe Burrow a box a cigars with that contract.

He's just not a enough of a difference maker when. It matters.

100%

Edmunds is good, not great

Oliver is good, not great

If this organization is serious about helping Allen, we let Edmunds walk and trade Oliver. 

Right out the gate we have 11M to play with plus any restructures to sign a legit WR and/or OL help before we even get to the Draft. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 3

Just now, Einstein said:

Restructuring just pushes the bill down the road.

That’s correct, but it will be necessary. There is also the advantage of a discount for pushing cap hits to future years. That’s because the cap (almost) always increases and the cap hit moving forward stays at the same nominal value. It does make a big difference cumulatively and when done over multiple years. 

If anyone wants to see how restructuring the contracts of Allen and other players would impact this year’s cap space and cap space into the future you can use OTC’s calculator. If you select the “restructure” option next to a player it populates the fields with the maximum amounts that can be restructured and spreads that out over the length of the existing contract.

https://overthecap.com/calculator/buffalo-bills

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 2

20 minutes ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

If Edmunds is here they would sign long term and push huge cap hits back.

14 minutes ago, PrimeTime101 said:

I would argue what we do is different than a tampa 2 defense cause they have edmunds everywhere BUT the middle of the field on a ton of plays.

Ya I dunno. He is supposed to plays everywhere else when it's not pass. I'm not sure their exact twist on it schematically.

But foundationally he should drop for pass and collapse on run.

But he's more of a folder. (Sorry joking)

But it's not all him it's about do I trust these coaches defensively? No I don't anymore.

Even Rex had some game plans once in a while that impressed me.

The only game plan that I think really ever worked was the ravens playoff game.

Maybe I'm not a defensive guru, but I just don't trust them anymore.

I mean "milf hunter" Zack Wilson looked like the next coming of Montana versus us. 

Third string dolphins QB looked like a seasoned starter.

Edited by Sharky7337

2 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

That’s correct, but it will be necessary. There is also the advantage of a discount for pushing cap hits to future years. That’s because the cap (almost) always increases and the cap hit moving forward stays at the same nominal value. It does make a big difference cumulatively and when done over multiple years. 

If anyone wants to see how restructuring the contracts of Allen and other players would impact this year’s cap space and cap space into the future you can use OTC’s calculator. If you select the “restructure” option next to a player it populates the fields with the maximum amounts that can be restructured and spreads that out over the length of the existing contract.

https://overthecap.com/calculator/buffalo-bills

And every team does it. And it is more of given the player more of the cash sooner than anything. The team has to be willing to pay more cash upfront when you restrux. You only get screwed if you release the guy - if we are releasing Allen we have way bigger problems.  

Thanks for the OvertheCap calculator link.  Looks like we can free up to about $40 million with Allen, Miller, Diggs and Milano.  I wouldn't restructure White or Dawkins at this point.  Even if we can do this, is this enough to do anymore than sign our draft picks, re-sign some of our free agents and sign some free agents to be back-ups so that we have a full roster?

12 minutes ago, Cheektowaga Chad said:

Let's keep on restructuring all the contracts, as long as the pegulas are cool with fronting the cash

Kick the can down the road. Rather be in cap trouble when Josh Allen is retired than right now 

So, the Bills could have a 'Bobby Bonilla Day', except rename it for Josh Allen? 🤔

• Haha (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.