FYI…for those worried about cap space Josh solves all problems

78thealltimegreat

9 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

Restructuring the maximum possible amounts for Allen, Diggs, Miller, White, Milano and Dawkins would take us up to $49.2M in cap space (assuming a league base cap of $225M). We’d have 39 players under contract and lots of work to be done. 

trade Oliver and White.  Sign a cheaper bigger DT.  Elam takes over for White

14 minutes ago, Sharky7337 said:

But it's not all him it's about do I trust these coaches defensively? No I don't anymore.

Maybe I'm not a defensive guru, but I just don't trust them anymore.

The last 3 playoff losses, 27 - 10 Bengals, 42 - 36 Chiefs, and 38 - 20 Chiefs is pretty concerning.

7 minutes ago, ALLinALLEN said:

I would do anything in this world to get out of the Tre contract. I think he's donezo as a CB 1 in this league (yes there are 30 better CBs).

If Tre is going to get back to pro-bowl caliber, it would happen next year.  That's typically the timeline for an ACL with a Cornerback.

That said, he says a lot of stuff that makes me wonder if his head is in it.  

I just don't know about him.  No idea what to expect this off-season, because if the Bills truly want to help Josh Allen, they are going to have to make some pretty surprising moves with this Defensive roster. 

• Like (+1) 1

We can save $2.7 mil by cutting Siran Neal after 6/1. $3.3 mil for a ST who can't play on D is a luxury we can't afford any more

I like Hines, but $4.5 mil is alot if we're not going to use him on offense.

Edited by damj
  • Like (+1) 1

37 minutes ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

Howard and Jeremy on WGR this morning where having a discussion about the Bills Cap space…when looking into it a simple restructuring of Josh’s contract and just his alone would allow the Bills to have up to 21 million in cap space. Much less others on the team. 

So while I don’t expect the Bills to major free agent players. They can easily slide a vet or two on the roster if the vet comes at the right price. 

On the negative the franchise tag for a LB is 20 million and the transition tag is 15…so with other needs like many have been screaming about like oline Tremaine is signing long term or he’s gone. Such is life in the NFL. 

I imagine Miller will also take a big restructure. His cap hit is 18 but his base is 1.3 million. 

• Like (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, Sharky7337 said:

The foundation of the Tampa 2 defensive scheme is linebacker covering the middle of the field on pass plays.

If you pay Edmunds you seal your fate. Send joe Burrow a box a cigars with that contract.

He's just not a enough of a difference maker when. It matters.

Nope. He plays well against average teams, but great QBS toy with him all game long.

See ya later in my books

9 minutes ago, D. L. Hot-Flamethrower said:

Interesting topic, although as some indicated it may seem like kicking the can down the road, it is a useful tactic that all teams employ with regards to key players. The rules for cap space charges upwards and the values just go on up so it can be useful at gaining discounts.

Exactly.  It’s almost negligent if you don’t push current money into future years.  If I know my income is guaranteed to go up 6-7% every year (the TV contracts are locked in for the next 10 years) and I’m allowed to push some of my bills into the future interest free, I’d be a fool not to.  

17 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

That’s correct, but it will be necessary. There is also the advantage of a discount for pushing cap hits to future years. That’s because the cap (almost) always increases and the cap hit moving forward stays at the same nominal value. It does make a big difference cumulatively and when done over multiple years. 

If anyone wants to see how restructuring the contracts of Allen and other players would impact this year’s cap space and cap space into the future you can use OTC’s calculator. If you select the “restructure” option next to a player it populates the fields with the maximum amounts that can be restructured and spreads that out over the length of the existing contract.

https://overthecap.com/calculator/buffalo-bills

I'm sure Beane already had the things we're talking about now (like restructuring) for this offseason prepped and ready to go last season.  These GMs are always planning several seasons down the road. Obviously, he has no idea what the cap will actually be years in advance, but he can make educated projections from what he's hearing, and base what he's going to have to work with off of that.  People need not freak out over what our cap numbers look like in future seasons based on the cap for the current season.  

We may question some of the draft picks this team has made, but one thing I'm very confident in Beane in is with managing the numbers.

4 minutes ago, Billz4ever said:

I'm sure Beane already had the things we're talking about now (like restructuring) for this offseason prepped and ready to go last season.  These GMs are always planning several seasons down the road. Obviously, he has no idea what the cap will actually be years in advance, but he can make educated projections from what he's hearing, and base what he's going to have to work with off of that.  People need not freak out over what our cap numbers look like in future seasons based on the cap for the current season.  

We may question some of the draft picks this team has made, but one thing I'm very confident in Beane in is with managing the numbers.

All Beane has to do is come to TBD for advice. He'll have a ton of cap space after he moves Allen, Diggs, White, Oliver, Dawkins, Milano.

• Haha (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, ngbills said:

And every team does it. And it is more of given the player more of the cash sooner than anything. The team has to be willing to pay more cash upfront when you restrux. You only get screwed if you release the guy - if we are releasing Allen we have way bigger problems.  

You make an excellent point this is where having one of the wealthiest owners in the sport really helps 

46 minutes ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

Howard and Jeremy on WGR this morning where having a discussion about the Bills Cap space…when looking into it a simple restructuring of Josh’s contract and just his alone would allow the Bills to have up to 21 million in cap space. Much less others on the team. 

So while I don’t expect the Bills to major free agent players. They can easily slide a vet or two on the roster if the vet comes at the right price. 

On the negative the franchise tag for a LB is 20 million and the transition tag is 15…so with other needs like many have been screaming about like oline Tremaine is signing long term or he’s gone. Such is life in the NFL. 

Doesn’t matter who we sign or draft unless we have a new OC and DC.  

27 minutes ago, ngbills said:

And every team does it. And it is more of given the player more of the cash sooner than anything. The team has to be willing to pay more cash upfront when you restrux. You only get screwed if you release the guy - if we are releasing Allen we have way bigger problems.  

Yup. The real risk is if you do it with a player that decides to phone it in or becomes a problem. They already got almost all of their money for the season so the team doesn’t have any leverage. They can’t cut them right away and a suspension doesn’t cost the player much money because they are only getting the vet minimum salary.

This brings up an interesting point because it pertains to the recent Stefan Diggs drama. If the Bills restructure Diggs I think it’s a good sign that things got worked out. If they don’t, then the team might be taking things a little more cautiously. 

1 hour ago, John from Riverside said:

I just can’t see the bills using the franchise tag

Can’t they tag and trade Edmunds. There are lots of cash rich teams with people trying to save jobs.  The posterizing on GMFB today did not help but there has to be some takers. 

Edited by Charles Romes

25 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

trade Oliver and White.  Sign a cheaper bigger DT.  Elam takes over for White

I think you gotta give White a chance to come back to full health. Besides, no team would trade for him with his current contract unless they saw the old Tre White first. If we get that, then we want him here. Also Elam has a lot to prove before he starts. 

Oliver has been a good DT, but not a great one, and that is very disappointing for a top 10 pick. He’s set to make $10.75M on his fifth year option in 2023 - that is all fully guaranteed. So the question is what, if anything, other teams would trade for him. I don’t think we’d get a lot of interest mainly because teams would look for either a cheaper player at his level or they’d pay a better one. 

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.