Post-game thoughts after a disappointing loss

Logic

Here is the real problem our defense coordinator is horrible! He has been horrible for 3 seasons! Look at 3 and forever they always give up the 1 down. Look at 13 seconds with a 3 point lead why play any defense. His d line rotation is horrible! One play we look like we destroy the play next it's a first down! All because the playmaker is sitting. Also why take guys off it and not play them? If Bedford and hyde needed so much time why take them off ir

• Like (+1) 1

I'm normally an optimist but today I saw a very ominous future for the Bills:

Ā 

For the 3rd straight season a terrible performance by the Defense led to our exit from the playoffs.

Ā 

It has become painfully obvious that we are falling behind the elite teams of the AFC and the reason is simple - the Bills organization is run by a defensively minded coach & GM.Ā 

Ā 

The Bengals & Chiefs are better organizations because they both embrace an offensive mindset.Ā  They plow the majority of their resources into surrounding their elite QB's with the best O line and skill players possible.

Ā 

And as early as next season KC & Cincy will be joined by Jacksonville whose offensive minded coach will move heaven & earth to surround Lawrence with the best possible O-line and play makers.

Ā 

No one will convince me that this isn't the Bills fundamental problem.Ā  And I see only one way to fix it without risking a compete meltdown of the team that removing Bean & McD could lead to:Ā  Frazier must go and Bean/McD must commit to a major upgrade on the offensive side of the Ball.Ā 

Ā 

If they double down on trying to add more talent to the D without making the painful choice of removing Frazier the Bills will be lucky to have a winning season next year.

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

58 minutes ago, Logic said:

As Brandon Beane is fond of saying, playoff losses show you where you're NOT as a football team. They show you where you're lacking. Well, what did today's loss show us?
Ā 

The loss to KC in 2020 showed us that our OL and DL sucked.Ā  Two seasons later, this loss showed us thatĀ our OL and DL still suck.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

7 minutes ago, henry jones said:

This was our year to make it happen. Ā All the teams with good, young QBā€™s in the AFC have blown past us and it will be next to impossible to ever catch back up again. Ā Especially with the philosophies on both sides of the ball. We could be in for a few down years before hopefully making another run when JA matures a little more. Ā If we ever see that day. Ā 

Yes & no.

Ā 

Forgive me if this comparison is weird....the Browns. Maybe even the Raiders.Ā 

Ā 

Browns had the "it factor" in 2020. They still have a good roster, they're not far off. They kick Cincy's a$$ but can't beat the NFC South lol. The Raiders are a coach away from 11-6. The Bills have a lotĀ  of positives, don't give up.Ā 

Ā 

The Bills, hey they can still dominate the AFC East, that alone is a quick path to the playoffs. Miami is schizoid, the Jets need a QB, and the Pats aren't that good.Ā 

I'm not shocked by this honestly, it was building all year. They're not that close & I don't see it getting fixed in 1 off season. Gonna be tough watching them be pretend contenders again next season & fooling me into Billieving a second year in a row. I think they need massive changes (like trade some assets on D & I to get the capital to fix the offense & make some coaching changes & really do a deep dive into changing their philosophy). Nothing should be off the table, nothing.

57 minutes ago, No_Matter_What said:

We had a hard look in the mirror last year and brought Von Miller. Unfortunately for us, he wasn't here when it mattered.

Ā 

I know I am in a minority here but I wouldn't draw any significant conclusions from this loss. Our season was extremely derailed by the first Cincy game, we haven't recovered from that and it showed today. There were other things also but this one was the most important imo.

Ā 

The Bills season was derailed by the bye. Looked a different team coming out of it than they did going into it. Admittedly, Josh picking up an elbow injury in week eight which never properly healed didn't help.

49 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Iā€™m sorry I wonā€™t get to watch Josh for nine months. Ā And I feel bad for him because his organization hung him out to dry this year. Ā But today wasnā€™t really a surprise.

Anyone else notice him grabbing his elbow on every play he was involved in late in the game?Ā Ā 

Ā 

I suspect offseason surgery, which will mean what.Ā  (rhetorical)Ā Ā 

1 minute ago, BruceVilanch said:

We're going to continue to be playoff losers for the foreseeable future. We always seem to come out flat and get bullied in the big games. Something needs to change.

Agree. Bills will be competitive for a number of years. Seems like the only way theyā€™ll win the big one is if they happen to get lucky.

15 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Not against the ones we see in playoffsĀ 

The Bills have a great home field record in the playoffs. Losing this one game doesn't suddenly mean playing at home doesn't matter. What point are you trying to make? They need to build a dome? Teams lose home playoff games in domes, too.

33 minutes ago, Livinginthepast said:

When we lost Micah Hyde for the season I thought disappointing but no worries we got this. But as the season wore on and the pass defense got exposed and the bad tackling got exposed his value became incredibly apparent. Losing Miller though was the Hammer blow, Funny enough I thought he had been a bit disappointing but once again, his value became apparent soon after, Without Miller, the Bills D lost their leader and probably lost the one guy who had the gravitas to change up the D based on what he saw the opposing offense about to do. Something that Frazier would never do mid series. But the greatest loss of all this year? Dabol. Dorsey ran such a vanilla offense that Josh won DESPITE him. Today was yet another example of a guy who used no disguises or trickery in his plays and didnt make adjustments for our terrible O Line.Ā Ā 

Ā 

It seems incredible that we were 14-4 this year and yet this was one of the most irritating, stressful and ultimately disappointing Bills seasons I can remember in 43 years of fandom.

Ā 

I was thinking something similar. For me I think it comes down to expectations. Nothing short of a SB appearance was gonna be satisfying to me this year. As the season wore on andĀ  it became more and more apparent that the injuries and warts (I'm looking at you OL) we're going to be hard to overcome and I could feel it slipping away.Ā 

• Like (+1) 2

We have Josh but thatā€™s all I know for sure. Poyer and Hyde were great last season but injured a lot this one.Ā 
Tre came back as a pale copy of himself.Ā 
Von got injured.Ā 
Gabe regressed.Ā 
Singletary is dependable but no world beater.Ā 
Cook, Shakir and Elam look alright.Ā 
Groot and the other young players didnā€™t level up as much (or at all) as Iā€™d hoped.Ā 
Bass is great and the punter is good.
O-line is weak.Ā 
We rarely get sacks.Ā 
Running backs seem to do as they please against us.Ā 
I really like Milano.Ā 
Wouldnā€™t mind a new OC and a new DC.Ā 
When was the last time we drafted someone who became an instant success, like Metcalf?Ā 

Looking forward to the draft now.Ā 
Ā 

itā€™s half past one at night and I have Covid.Ā 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, RiotAct said:

Nope. Ā This was our year, and we frigging blew it.

The media said it was our year.Ā  But after the KC game, we lost a few, and played a lot of close games against mediocre competition.Ā  I never felt we ever were clearly the best team in the AFC, much less the NFL.

Ā 

I would have loved to see us win today and set up that bowl game environment in the ATL, especially with a wounded Mahomes.Ā  But we were badly outclassed and even if we made the 3 plays (Josh missing Diggs for an easy TD, Motor drop at the end of the first half, another Gabe drop) I think the Bengals still win going away.Ā Ā 

7 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

The Bills have a great home field record in the playoffs. Losing this one game doesn't suddenly mean playing at home doesn't matter. What point are you trying to make? They need to build a dome? Teams lose home playoff games in domes, too.

as currently built the outdoor cold weather/snow/wind isnt in our favorĀ  This isnt a power football teamĀ  Its finesse on both sides and weather games usually more dictated by line play

Just now, DuckyBoys said:

as currently built the outdoor cold weather/snow/wind isnt in our favorĀ  This isnt a power football teamĀ  Its finesse on both sides and weather games usually more dictated by line play

The Bengals aren't a power football team either and had a bunch of backups playing on the line. It was equal playing conditions for both teams.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.