We're on to Cincinnati(Bengals coming to OP). Sunday 1/22 at 3pm. Opening Line Bills -5

Big Turk

Just now, H2o said:

A somewhat healthy Jordan Phillips would be a big boost to the interior of this line for getting pressure on Macaulay. 

Bears and Patriots he looked bad.  His shoulder took his juice.  His healthy would be a big boost. 

56 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

Hopefully we get Phillips back this week.

While I agree with this sentiment, I think I read he has a torn labrum (?).  Apologies for not backing that up.  I'd be shocked to see him play with any effectiveness - if at all - for the rest of the season.  Not meaning to pee on any barbecues.  But when an inbred goober like me can see him unable to lift his arm above his shoulder on tackles, it's a pretty bad injury.

• Sad 1

6 hours ago, newcam2012 said:

But in those few plays what did the Bengals do? You just can't discount those plays. They were moving diwn the field with ease. In fact, their offense was in rhythm in sync and doing whatever it wanted to do. The Bills D looked like they had few answers to stop them. Of course, no one knows how the game woukd have ended. Early on though the Bills D was leaking badly. What will they do to stop the leaks? Can they stop the leaks? 

Yes, they can. Throughout the year they're ranked 23 in defense DVOA in the 1st quarter and then ranked top 5 in the other 3 quarters.

So you ask "can they stop the leaks?" when they've already showed you all year that yes, they do stop the leaks.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 3

3 minutes ago, Whites Bay said:

But when an inbred goober like me can see him unable to lift his arm above his shoulder on tackles, it's a pretty bad injury.

Momma and brother or Dad and sister?  Never mind TMI... 🙂 

• Haha (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, H2o said:

A somewhat healthy Jordan Phillips would be a big boost to the interior of this line for getting pressure on Macaulay. 

I think he should have been IR'd after the Patriots game. 

And really in Chicago he couldn't move the arm either and checked himself out. 

I think he tore his rotator cuff and do much. 

• Sad 1

30 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

We signed two WRs off the street that nobody else wanted and gave them both a good amount of snaps. That is proof enough that Chris Simms is right. Teams have figured out if you bracket Diggs the other weapons aren't consistently stepping up. The offense is mostly just Josh Allen making magic happen, that has been Chris Simms' point all year long. Hard to argue with him.

Let's take this piece by piece. 

"We signed 2 WR off the street that no one else wanted...." True.  We did this because we lost 2 WR to injury and had our backup plan poached on waivers, and late in the season, they had disproportionate value in an offense they already knew (ie, dude off the street who already knows our offense and has a comfort level with Josh >> possibly more talented dude off another team's PS.

"and gave them a good amount of snaps" - True.  Beasley got 31 snaps (42%), Brown got 21 snaps (28%).  Shakir's snap count also increased to 30 (41%).  In part this was because we had a starting WR out for the game due to injury.   He's one of the premier Whipping Boys on TBD, but he has been getting ~57% of the snaps all season, so that had to be filled somehow.  Brown and Beasley have been running around 12% of the snaps, so 30% more for Bease, 14% more for Brown, 12% more for Shakir = 56% of the snaps.  That's what happens when injuries bite, Next Man Up.

"Teams have figured out if you bracket Diggs the other weapons aren't consistently stepping up".  Some truth.  In the first half, no other receiver had more than 3 targets.  Diggs had 7 receptions on 8 targets for 114 yds.  Acting upon your premise, the Fins took him away in the 2nd half and he had 0 receptions on 1 target.  Then the rest of the Bills receivers had 9 receptions on 16 targets for 132 yds,.  The Bills still got some production in the run game (total 26 for 107 yds; 13 for  64 in the 1st half, 13 for 43 in the 2nd half.  It's not as though our offense was completely shut down; 173 yds of offense in the 2nd half with Diggs being 'taken away' vs 275 yds WITH 2 interceptions in the first half.   We got 10 first downs, we converted 4 of 8 3rd downs which is excellent, we scored 14 of our 34 points.  I believe the Bills were being more conservative in the 2nd half after the Josh Allen strip sack gave the Fins a defensive strip-6 (with good reason!), but it's not as though our offense was shut down. 

"The offense is mostly just Josh Allen making magic happen"  Again, some truth, but begs the question "is that because it's a system incapable of operating in any other way, or is it because Josh Allen is choosing to try to force magic to happen a little too much, instead of operating within the system?"  Simms thinks so, others may think differently.

• Like (+1) 4

6 hours ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

Back when I was close to your age above, but 7 years earlier.

No one ever...EVER besides me talks about what happened starting at 2:01:35.

...I remember it like it was yesterday, even viewing it a few minutes ago for the first time in years.  Damn shame.

Do you think that would happen in today's NFL?  No freaking way.

Thanks for this clip. I never watched a game from before my time, like this. So interesting to see how much is the same and yet how different it felt in '81. What a crazy call, the curse struck again! 

WE GOTTA DEFEAT IT THIS YEAR.

27 minutes ago, Mat68 said:

Sunday is going to be a great game.  I think Buffalo is better than Cincy.  I think they matchup very well vs them.  Buffalo wins or beats themselves.  I question Taylor and his offense.  Cincy is very good during the scripted plays after the offense stalls.  Buffalo wins 32-23

Yes, I think their best drives are usually their first two drives of the game--the scripted ones--and then they seem to flounder for two quarters.

Another reason you can't assume they would have won the regular season game. 

I think the Bills would have won that one over a full 60 minutes, and I think they take this game too. 

• Like (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, Wayne Arnold said:

Can Buffalo's defense please humble this mfer?

"The window is my whole career"

"I never feel like an underdog"

Please shut him up.

I mean, I think every fan and every QB thinks that to some degree, right?  We feel that as long as we have Josh Allen we've got a chance, right?

Burrows will learn that his team has a window.  It starts when he gets his 2nd contract.  Boyd and Higgins are FA after this season, as is DJ Reader and Jonah Williams their LT.  Hendrickson and Mixon FA in 2025.  It's not that the window slams shut, but it gets smaller and harder to squirm through and depends a lot on being able to pluck talent from the later part of the draft and from lower-tier FA.

He shouldn't feel like an underdog.  He's the QB of the defending AFC champions, and he probably feels like he came one canceled game away from hosting this game.

• Like (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, wjag said:

Momma and brother or Dad and sister?  Never mind TMI... 🙂 

Always reminds me of Bill Hicks' line about meeting a fan after a show in Oklahoma... "He said 'I'd like you to meet my wife and my sister'.... and there was one girl standing next to him."

• Haha (+1) 1

35 minutes ago, Whites Bay said:

While I agree with this sentiment, I think I read he has a torn labrum (?).  Apologies for not backing that up.  I'd be shocked to see him play with any effectiveness - if at all - for the rest of the season.  Not meaning to pee on any barbecues.  But when an inbred goober like me can see him unable to lift his arm above his shoulder on tackles, it's a pretty bad injury.

Kentucky, West Virginia or Tennessee?

7 hours ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

Back when I was close to your age above, but 7 years earlier.

No one ever...EVER besides me talks about what happened starting at 2:01:35.

...I remember it like it was yesterday, even viewing it a few minutes ago for the first time in years.  Damn shame.

Do you think that would happen in today's NFL?  No freaking way.

I was 11 years and I remember this like it was yesterday too.  And it was worse because there were no graphics and you had no idea as a TV viewer how much time was left.  So when Lou caught that ball I was celebrating.  And then...

I remember Chuck Knox saying something in his office after the game like "we pay our quarterback X amount of money and he can't even tell time."  So it must have been pretty egregious.  Notice how neither he nor any of our players argued.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

16 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

I mean, I think every fan and every QB thinks that to some degree, right?  We feel that as long as we have Josh Allen we've got a chance, right?

Burrows will learn that his team has a window.  It starts when he gets his 2nd contract.  Boyd and Higgins are FA after this season, as is DJ Reader and Jonah Williams their LT.  Hendrickson and Mixon FA in 2025.  It's not that the window slams shut, but it gets smaller and harder to squirm through and depends a lot on being able to pluck talent from the later part of the draft and from lower-tier FA.

He shouldn't feel like an underdog.  He's the QB of the defending AFC champions, and he probably feels like he came one canceled game away from hosting this game.

This is especially true because Mike Brown's lack of actual money makes it difficult to offer contracts with guaranteed money. It's not that he's cheap. It's that he doesn't have the funds to meet the CBA's escrow requirements. He'll have to do it for Burrow and Chase, but the rest of them will probably walk. They have to win now, and Burrow knows this regardless of what he says.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

My favorite this week -

I actually like listening to Cowherd.  I think he's one of the better listens/watches among the national pundits.  However, he does this interesting thing where he admits to being wrong about certain things fairly early and fairly well but is always just waiting to revert to his initial stance.

Cowherd slammed Allen for his first 2 years in the league consistently.  He did it even as 2020 began.  I remember after we beat the Jets 27-17 opening week, Cowherd was basically criticizing Allen's passing and saying he would always need to be great at running.  A few games into 2020 he turned a corning.  Last offseason when we lost Daboll he started to stick one foot out the door implying Daboll was the reason Allen is Allen.

And now this.

But he'll jump right back in and pretend he was never out if Allen plays really well the next few weeks and we win a Super Bowl.

55 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

Yes, they can. Throughout the year they're ranked 23 in defense DVOA in the 1st quarter and then ranked top 5 in the other 3 quarters.

So you ask "can they stop the leaks?" when they've already showed you all year that yes, they do stop the leaks.

Someone listened to “locked on bills” this morning haha.

Very interesting metric for sure

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Big Turk said:

"Big Game Gabe" making preparations

If he would have had an average amount of drops this year he would have been 1000 yard receiver with a few more TD's and no one would be talking about Gabe Davis having a bad year, and that is with the injury that caused him to miss some time and played hobbled for a couple games as well.

He just needs to not drop so many passes, he fixes that and he is a legitimate #2 WR.