1/15/2023 Wildcard Weekend - Dolphins @ Bills - Post Game Thread

BuffaloBill

1 minute ago, Houston's #1 Bills Fan said:

I literally looked at the inactives today because I didn't remember seeing him on the field!!!

Vs a 4th strong tackle.  BUT in saying that, 2 INTS, 3 dropped passes, 1 50 yd punt return and 4 fumbles were the issue, not the D.  D won us the game.  We learned why #24 was a 1st rd pick!!

17 minutes ago, vincec said:

Oddly, I don’t remember McCoy fumbling much.

No, he rarely fumbled but famously held it like a loaf of bread a LOT

I’m so happy we won but we have to get more creative with our play calling. Dorsey needs to be better. Having Josh throw deep every other play is fun to watch but when you watch burrow and Mahomes have designed plays that get there weapons the ball with space to run after catch you have to wonder why we can’t do the same as frequently. We also need our O line to give Josh more than 1 second to stay in the pocket. The D played well outside of the noticeable 3rd and longs given up by not having Von anymore. I billieve in this team just need some things cleaned up and I’m hopeful that McDermott realizes this too and gets it done. Go Bills 

41 minutes ago, longtimebillsfan said:

I know.   It sad how some people are always the glass is half empty.

This board is not as enjoyable as it used to be.

What happened?

Endless Pollyanna takes are always fun and informative🥱. IMO I’d rather know what fans are actually thinking & read fair critiques and honest assessments.

• Like (+1) 1

I didn't get to watch the whole game. Key point I remember was being up 17-0 then bass kicks it out of bounds and that seemed to really give miami life. Lots of Bills mistakes, we literally are our own worse enemy. A lot of division games this weekend. I think we will get some things cleaned up. Goal accomplished this week, maybe not how us fans wanted it, but to the team they got it done.

One of the weirdest games! 

1) If Knox, Shakir, Diggs, and Beasley cleanly catch those first half balls, this could have been a 35-3 game.

2) if waddle doesn’t drop the early ball, Chubb strip sack recovered by Miami, Hines muff recovered by Miami, Miami could have won this game by 14 points. 

Just lots of wonky, fluke stuff. I am not going to read too much into it. It’s clear the Bills need to execute better and be more careful with the ball, which I think they are capable of. 

• Like (+1) 9
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

There is a lot that can be said about this game.  It was one of the sloppiest games we have played in a long time.  While we all saw what happened, there are a couple of things that really stand out.

First, this game should have been over early and it could have been ugly.  You could probably pick out 4-5 plays in the first half alone that if they go differently, probably would have had us up by 30+ at halftime.  Instead, it was a game that gave many of us health issues until the very end.  This is both very concerning and encouraging at the same time.  Obviously, this turned into a slop fest, but the way things were going up until the Knox drop in the end zone, and in some of the subsequent mishaps that should have been great plays for us that turned into negatives, shows that the potential is there for us to just kill teams if we just stop actively killing ourselves. 

That said, I just need a couple of things from this team going forward.  I need guys to catch the ball when it hits them in the hands.  There were multiple big plays in this game that could have changed this dramatically if the ball is just caught.  I need Josh to start taking more of the "free cheese" underneath, especially early in games.  I love Josh and the way he plays the game and I don't want him to fundamentally do anything different.  I want him to keep pushing the ball down the field more often than not.  But, I think it would benefit him, and the entire offense, if he took the easy underneath stuff more often.  Every week, you look at the tape and teams are just giving the guys working short a ton of space because they are playing deeper because they know that is where Allen wants to go.  If Allen would just take a few of the short ones, and force defenses to respect the fact that he will take those when they present themselves, it will open things up down the field that much more.  That is one of the things Allen was doing so well the first few weeks of the season, but somewhere along the way, he stopped doing it.  I guarantee that if he started taking the underneath stuff just once in a while, he would find things would get easier down the field.  Finally, I need the coaches to stay out of the way.  The last few years, this staff has done stupid things in the Playoffs that have cost us our season and they tried to do it today.  For the love of God, stop taking these stupid defensive time outs!  They NEVER work.  I can't remember one time where they have taken one and actually have come out with an outcome any better than if they would have just kept playing.  Today, McDermott cost us points, field position, and opportunities to end this game much earlier because of stupid defensive time outs that backfired each time he did it.  And this 3rd and long defense never gets any better and it gets more and more frustrating every time a team converts one.  

We have so many flaws that are showing themselves.  While Davis had a better game today, outside of Diggs, we lack a real playmaker outside.  Our offensive line is a joke.  Granted, the Miami Defense has a really good front 7, maybe better than anyone else we will potentially see in the AFC playoffs, the line isn't good and looks even worse when Allen is having a tough time bailing them out.  And while we did get pressure from time to time today, you can see just how much we miss Von getting after the passer.

Anyway, this post has gone on a lot longer than anticipated when I started it.  But I am not sure my heart rate has returned to normal yet since the game ended and I am still running a little hot!  HA!  But whatever.......survive and advance.  Clean up the stupid stuff and find a way to win the next one.  GO BILLS!

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

5 minutes ago, Process said:

Any injury concerns from this game other than Elam? How bad did his look on TV? Was hard to tell at the game. 

he's fine - jogged off the field at the very end.  Jackson may be more injured but don't think much of him TBCH - can be easily replaced by our 6th rd pick

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.