1/15/2023 Wildcard Weekend - Dolphins @ Bills - Post Game Thread

BuffaloBill

43 minutes ago, Buffalo Ballin said:

We got the Win. Eff it. Move on.

Our next game vs. Bengals will be different. Josh Allen is not fumbling the ball 3 times. He might just fumble it once, but not for loss. He's not going to throw 3 INTs either. I think just 1 INT. That's it.

I think this will be a low scoring game. It's going to be long and drawn out. Game will be filled with long sustaining drives to eat clock.

I disagree. That's not what we saw in the 5 minute preview game. I think the game will be very high scoring due to both defenses inability to stop the others offense. 

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, Markaf431 said:

So reading through all of this, someone correct me if I’m missing any of these amazing takes 

McDermott sucks and should be fired

Josh has been bad since week 6

We need a new RT, LT, LG

Groot should be benched for AJE

Dorsey should be fired (well ok, something needs to be done there)

listen I get it. It was an ugly game. We fell apart, but a couple of very important things to remember. 

playoff games, nothing matters except your score being higher than the other teams at the end. Done. 

We came out healthy

ugly wins are still wins. On to Cincinnati. 

Agree winning is all the ultimate goal. Plus, the Bills look to have escaped injuries while Cinci might not have. 

Both teams didn't look very good in their wins. Perhaps it's because they were both divisional opponents. 

I think it's safe to say both fan bases are very happy with the win but disappointed in their team's play. I expect both teams to play much better. Should be a great game.

53 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

I disagree. That's not what we saw in the 5 minute preview game. I think the game will be very high scoring due to both defenses inability to stop the others offense. 

The Bengals will blitz like crazy and we could see another 7 sacks and possibly a fumble /int...or 2 and we will only rush 4 and get picked apart. Letting Skyler Thompson put up 31 doesn't give me much hope facing Burrow. Seems like every time we blitz we have success. Sure would be nice to see it called on 3rd and longs, or a hell of a lot more than it is.

Edited by nosejob
  • Eyeroll 1

36 minutes ago, nosejob said:

The Bengals will blitz like crazy and we could see another 7 sacks and possibly a fumble /int...or 2 and we will only rush 4 and get picked apart. Letting Skyler Thompson put up 31 doesn't give me much hope facing Burrow. Seems like every time we blitz we have success. Sure would be nice to see it called on 3rd and longs, or a hell of a lot more than it is.

I don't think the Bengal defense can consistently stop the Bills offense. Despite the the oline weaknesses and lack of WR talent. The Bills should have great success. I believe they will run the ball well which will open up the passing game. The home field will help out too. I think we see a much better Allen. 

Conversely, I believe Burrow will find his open pass catchers. He will take his shots downfield in one on one situations too. The Bengal passing game presents major issues for the Bills. The Bills will have to get consistent pressure on Burrow and get his timing off. Perhaps, the Bills coaching staff can look at the Raven tape.

This looks like a classic heavyweight fight. 

Edited by newcam2012

2 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

I don't think the Bengal defense can consistently stop the Bills offense. Despite the the oline weaknesses and lack of WR talent. The Bills should have great success. I believe they will run the ball well which will open up the passing game. The home field will help out too. I think we see a much better Allen. 

Conversely, I believe Burrow will find his open pass catchers. He will take his shots downfield in one on one situations too. The Bengal passing game presents major issues for the Bills. The Bills will have to get consistent pressure on Burrow and get his timing off. Perhaps, the Bills coaching staff can look at the Raven tape.

This looks like a clasdic heavyweight fight. 

Blitzing borough more certainly isn’t the answer. He will pick that apart.

3 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

I think you can have timely blitzes. It looked like the Ravens brought some added pressure from time to time. Burrow gets the ball out quickly. The key is to get him off his timing and rhythm. Easier said than done. A Fraizer soft zone isn't likely to be effective as we saw on Monday night. The Bills coaching staff has to come up with a solid game plan. I was quite disappointed in what little I saw on that Monday night game. 

16 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

I think this is the biggest myth ever or at the very least a cover for a stubborn old D.C. I'd prefer upping the blitz% vs. getting no rush with just the front four and him having time to tie his shoes before throwing the ball.  No Jordan Phillips sure as hell doesn't help.  I was encouraged seeing some press man at the line yesterday. Hope to see more of that. knock off their timing.

Edited by nosejob

8 hours ago, Mango said:

The Bills have a whopping 3 more drops than KC. 3. This stat gets presenting like the difference is 23 drops between Buffalo and other good offenses. 

Also all those teams have a high frequency passing offenses that will inevitably produce more drops.

Here are the top QB’s with the most drops:

1. Rodgers

2. Allen

3. Brady

4. Lawrence

5. Tua/Miami

6. Daniel Jones

7. Mahomes

8. Herbert

9. Burrow

10. Browns

8 are in the playoffs and 8 are likely in the top 10 in the league. Surely we need to work on drops. But the gap between Allen, Mahomes, Burrow, etc. isn’t stifling. It’s 3 total dropped passes over 16/17 weeks.  That’s one every 5 games. 

I hear ya other teams have issues too, but the point was this wasn't an abnormality in this game, it's a season long issue that almost bit us in the tuchus. We're also #3 on the season in turnovers, #1 among playoff teams, & the difference there is more striking & also showed up today. They have to clean up the sloppy play. Let's hope they can do it. Go Bills! 👍

https://www.statmuse.com/nfl/ask/nfl-team-with-most-turnovers-2022

Edited by Donuts and Doritos

12 minutes ago, nosejob said:

I think this is the biggest myth ever or at the very least a cover for a stubborn old D.C. I'd prefer upping the blitz% vs. getting no rush with just the front four and him having time to tie his shoes before throwing the ball.  No Jordan Phillips sure as hell doesn't help.  I was encouraged seeing some press man at the line yesterday. Hope to see more of that. knock off their timing.

I don't know about pressing Chase or Higgins, they are highly athletic to defeat press. Dolphins scheme favors disrupting the receivers timing, for instance, but if they can figure out how to solve those 20-yard hole shots on 3rd-and-18 the zone may be the way to go.

1 hour ago, John from Riverside said:

I agree. I never said or implied that blitzing Burrow more is the answer. Another poster did. However, I did say timely blitzing might be effective. I saw the Ravens bring LB Roquan Smith a few times. With good QBs like Burrows I don't think you can play the same defense over and over. You have to create some confusion and pressure. 

Edited by newcam2012

Apologies as this has probably been posted already somewhere in the 48 pages, but interestingly McDermott has indicated he wasn't impressed with the deep plays to Davis in the fourth quarter, and specifically stated he thinks Dorsey would like the calls back, rather than Josh.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/35456240/bills-josh-allen-bemoan-costly-turnovers-wild-card-win

Maybe I've missed them but can't recall McDermott openly calling out, for want of better phrase, a coordinator in this manner before.

• Like (+1) 1

Just watching the fourth quarter on replay. I was only watching the ball first time round, so the constant deep balls infuriated me.

For the first deep ball there was someone free underneath in space. Yet, as it's first down, I don't mind going long and see what happens.

The second deep ball, yes there was someone on the sideline closer to Josh, but they were covered. Otherwise, the deep ball was the only option he really had but over-threw it.

Josh could have thrown it short before being sacked on the third down, but I don't think he expected the pocket to collapse as quickly as it did. It looked like he had space.

Ok the next series, there was the successful deep ball to Shakir, which no one will complain about because it was completed. 😁 Then Josh was careless with the ball, not helped by Dawkins being beaten by Chubb.

So looking back, and obviously knowing how things panned out, I'm maybe not quite as frustrated with the deep balls in the fourth as I was at the time. The first one could have been a checkdown. He had little option on the second and completed the third.

17 hours ago, Sandhill Mike said:

Josh had that ball out there like a loaf of bread while running.  I get he's a strong dude and can palm a basketball, but it makes me nerrrrvous!

Especially seeing what happened at the end of the Baltimore-Cincinnati game...

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.