1/15/2023 Wildcard Weekend - Dolphins @ Bills - Post Game Thread

BuffaloBill

23 minutes ago, appoo said:

Elam excels in man, but it’s a mostly zone system which is why i suspect you’ll Dane Jackson get the majority of snaps vs Cinncy.

Though if 27 is back to his old explosiveness (he might be) then it’s not the worst idea to go full man +
blitz with Tre, Elam and Taron Johnson out of the slot. 

I think this season's Tre isn't going be " old explosiveness."  Hopefully, next year. 

8 minutes ago, PaulieYayo said:

Regardless of a very sloppy win, McD and company can’t seem to get this group right. They make they same mistakes week after week and I honestly dont know how they won 14 games now. If they play like they did today next week, they are going to get smoked out of the Divisional Round. The Bengals are no joke and the Jags are legit and very well coached. I fear last season was the best shot they had at a championship and they blew it. 

trying to be optimistic and cling to the mantra of every week is different, survive and advance, but damn i totally get why your take could be spot on

Just now, UKBillFan said:

That was the second drive of the game. Not late in the fourth with a narrow lead and a shattered defense.

Not sure if already said, but that's what Miami was sorta giving us.  Dolphins played an extremely aggressive defense, even if they didn't blitz it was "robber" coverage/dropping a safety down...and part of our issue on offense was failing to connect on short crosses.  

Josh hit Beas for 1, a big play, but missed Shakir a couple times, Beas at least once, etc.  

Gabe 1-1 vs their 2nd corner, I'd take Gabe all day...it worked against their cover 2, it worked for a TD, and it came very close to working on that 1st sideline fade in 4th qtr

12 minutes ago, PaulieYayo said:

Regardless of a very sloppy win, McD and company can’t seem to get this group right. They make they same mistakes week after week and I honestly dont know how they won 14 games now. If they play like they did today next week, they are going to get smoked out of the Divisional Round. The Bengals are no joke and the Jags are legit and very well coached. I fear last season was the best shot they had at a championship and they blew it. 

Coaches blew it. Players held up their end.

28 minutes ago, WideNine said:

They may have decided not to follow Hill and rather just let Tre play one side and Elam the other.

But yeah, I saw both on him throughout the game.

Elam is pretty good at jamming and playing press, a bit more natural at that than Tre.

Kind of wonder why they picked Elam with his skill set vs the Bills defensive scheme. 

11 minutes ago, Airseven said:

“Playoff Josh” lasted two games. The guy is an erratic cannon capable of bad decisions and turnovers on any play. Even Bills homers stopped forcing the Mahomes comparisons.

Well said. Could not agree more. He is not even in the same category as Mahomes. Maybe not even Burrow. Too many dumb mistakes. Still hasn’t learned to tuck the ball away when running with it. Learn that in pee wee ball

Edited by Baba Booey
  • Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

I think this season's Tre isn't going be " old explosiveness."  Hopefully, next year. 

Might be right, and why they’ll roll with Jackson is he’s healthy. 

Next season, if Tre is fully back, you can switch up to a man heavy, more

blizting scheme, to protect those safeties. We might end up losing our top 3 safeties in Poyer, Hyde and Hamlin so a philosophical change needs to happen 

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, UKBillFan said:

I can't remember so many deep balls whilst holding a narrow lead late in the fourth under Daboll.

I wholeheartedly agree with the sentiment, and I like seeing a British "whilst" around here - it classes up the joint a bit.

Edited by birdo67
  • Haha (+1) 3

4 minutes ago, MasterStrategist said:

Not sure if already said, but that's what Miami was sorta giving us.  Dolphins played an extremely aggressive defense, even if they didn't blitz it was "robber" coverage/dropping a safety down...and part of our issue on offense was failing to connect on short crosses.  

Josh hit Beas for 1, a big play, but missed Shakir a couple times, Beas at least once, etc.  

Gabe 1-1 vs their 2nd corner, I'd take Gabe all day...it worked against their cover 2, it worked for a TD, and it came very close to working on that 1st sideline fade in 4th qtr

I don't mind deep shots now and again in those circumstances, but not consistently. Especially when they're not connecting.

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, newcam2012 said:

Kind of wonder why they picked Elam with his skill set vs the Bills defensive scheme. 

Being at the game, not sure if this was mentioned on the broadcast or up thread,  but in response to Elam and Tres alignment...

I noticed they moved Tre to the short side of field and Elam on the wide side on almost every snap.  Makes sense if they are mixing certain coverages to each side.  But just interesting

• Thank you (+1) 2

That was stressful and exhausting, but the win is what matters.  The game was a roller coaster, and it mirrors how Josh played today.  Amazing number of great and awful plays.  Tough to watch at times.

Wish Josh would throw it more to the RB out of the backfield for some easy yards.  Our defense played well overall, but I thought the rush could have been better when not blitzing, and it seems we really do miss what Miller can bring to the pash rush.  Run defense was great today.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Scott7975 said:

It was a throw into the chest for a first down.  Thats never a wrong throw.  Beasley bounced it

Both Beasley’s arms were being held . He was like a piñata 🪅 getting drilled with that ball. Went right to the defender. Easy interference call that was missed. Huge game turning play

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, MasterStrategist said:

Being at the game, not sure if this was mentioned on the broadcast or up thread,  but in response to Elam and Tres alignment...

I noticed they moved Tre to the short side of field and Elam on the wide side on almost every snap.  Makes sense if they are mixing certain coverages to each side.  But just interesting

https://www.quora.com/In-football-what-is-the-boundary-corner#:~:text=Field corner %3D the corner that,is closer to the boundary.

field vs boundary corner, which makes sense as Elam is the better athlete, while Tre is the more experienced, smarter corner, and coming of an ACL you want him covering less ground 

• Agree 1

Just now, newcam2012 said:

He was an curious selection with how much zone we play, BUT having a DB that can play man when needed is never a bad thing.

Zone can be taught and executed by more DBs, but good man coverage depends more on raw athleticism IMO.

There are a lot of teams that rely heavily on timing routes and disrupting timing is key.

DBs that can jam and redirect WRs off the line are key to playing those teams and DPI rules seem to be getting more relaxed which increases the value of DBs that are physical.

Miami is very much a timing offense and Mac is not great off schedule so we do need that skillset.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.