1/15/2023 Wildcard Weekend - Dolphins @ Bills - Post Game Thread

BuffaloBill

2 minutes ago, PayDaBill$ said:

Sorry can’t be overly excited about a home skin of your teeth W vs a 9-8 team with a 3rd string rookie qb who just skated by the Jets to get in.  

We haven’t been playing good football. Out of all the teams left in the AFC in the current play off run is anyone left that you’re comfortable that we would roll?

Actually, the Bills are 8-1 in their last 9 games (including today) with a +70 point differential....better than 26 teams' full season point differentials.  I put this in another thread...but honestly, they may have their bonehead/blood pressure raising moments, but the Bills just win.  Like a lot.

• Like (+1) 2

13 minutes ago, gomper said:

Let's be honest. If they play like this next week, it's over. This team has a piece missing mentally. 

I'm not so sure of this. They played poorly today. We can point to several reasons why. However, this team absolutely knows how to win close games. They have proved this all year. I think this team is mentally strong. You can't be weak and win so many close games. 

As I watched the game today in frustration, I kept telling myself this team wins close games. 

Next week is a whole different game. This week's play could propel them to play better. Remember, Miami is a division foe and they match up pretty well. Lastly, the Dolphins had nothing to lose today. All the pressure was on the Bills. At various times you could see the Bills feeling it. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

18 minutes ago, CincyBillsFan said:

I have a theory on this.  The defense, in spite of mostly great stats, is playing as frustratingly inconsistently as the offense is. Holding the Dolphins to a couple of hundred yards and forcing a couple of FG's on short fields was a big plus but:

*  Giving up a 4th & 8 when the Bills led 17 -3.  Make that stop and the Bills start rolling again with the ball at midfield.

*  Giving up a 3rd & 19 in the first half.

*  After playing lights out and getting a TO the D allows a 75 yard TD drive in the 4th quarter after the Bills had opened up a 10 point lead.

*  Giving up a 3rd & 10 late in the game when they had the Fish pinned deep in their pwn territory.

This mirrors an offense that scored 34 points, gained over 400 yards and roared out to a 17 - 0 and then turned the ball over 3 times!  A dropped pass that was an easy catch kept the Bills from taking a 24 - 9 lead at half.  So like the defense the O's inconsistency combines great plays and series with head scratching screw-ups. In the end the Bills have won most of these games but it's damn frustrating to watch.

Good point. I kind of disagree, but good point. 
The offense is now all boom and bust, big play or big turnover. The defense is still bend but don’t break, make ‘em out together a 12 play/70 yard drive, and watch the mistake come that means they don’t convert or even turn it over. It’s a weird mix since head coaches usually don’t like living in that mix of risk-taking/risk-averse worlds. 

Edited by The Frankish Reich
  • Like (+1) 3

2 minutes ago, billybob71 said:

How much is this the Bills are a team with significant flaws, or is it the NFL is crazy this year, and every team is flawed therefore no dominant team and fasten your seatbelt its gonna be a crazy unpredictable playoffs?

Even Super Bowl winners are flawed - secret is to not expose your flaws.

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, Mojo44 said:

Stop! All evidence to the contrary. Eight straight wins! Just to make sure you hear it because I’m not sure it’s getting through: eight straight wins! Your quarterback doesn’t regress when you win eight straight games. Not even debatable. All quarterbacks make bad throws including Burrow and Mahoney. You have no sense of perspective on this.

Well, I guess we will agree to disagree my man!! But we will never win next week against Bengals, they are just better coached and have the better QB at this moment. 

Chubb, Wilkins and Philips played great today. The Dolphins pass rush was the singular reason why Miami had a chance. Going up 17-0, I figured the Bills would dial back the pass and start to hammer them with heavy personnel but Dorsey seemed content on tossing the rock. 

• Like (+1) 2

This game would not have been close, but we made so many unforced errors. Besides the interceptions, which I don't think you blame Josh on those, we had the fumble, long return on the first interception,  gave up a long punt return, almost lost a fumbled punt, kick off out of bounds, etc., etc. Could have been very ugly if we lost. I think Josh was trying all those bombs because that's what their defense was giving us. If he hit just one more of those throws we walk away easily. I would not change that way of thinking. We fought back and won. A lit of our teams in the past would have folded under those conditions. Go Bills!

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

24 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

That SOB deserved it I’m sure, but when was that?

Our OL was definitely fired up, Morse going full-speed after Wilkins ripping his helmet off and carrying it off like a prize of war was NOT on my Bingo card

I thought I saw brown go to the ground with hands to the face on Wilkins or maybe someone right before the refs got both teams under control and Dawkins walked off with the helmet 

1 minute ago, The Frankish Reich said:

Good point. I kind of disagree, but good point. 
The offense is now all boom and bust, big play or big turnover. The defense is still bed but don’t break, make ‘em out together a 12 play/70 yard drive, and watch the mistake come that means they don’t convert or even turn it over. It’s a weird mix since head coaches usually don’t like living in that mix of risk-taking/risk-averse worlds. 

That's a pretty good way of putting it.  Well done.

I think our defensive fundamentals were outstanding. Players made their reads, held gap integrity, and covered the best weapons in the league well enough to hold them to probably their lowest total on the season. Miami probably had 15 drives and only one of them was a full-field TD drive. You're not gonna make every play, especially against Hill and Waddle, but they never let them get loose for the big one, and made a bunch of huge plays. 

If that defense comes to play and we get the normal bills offense without the obscenities of the middle 20 minutes, we can win the super bowl. But I worry that this IS the normal bills offense at this point.

They threw a pick, and lazily gave up a 50 yard return. They gave up a 50 yard punt return. Another pick returned inside the 20, and then a strip sack touchdown. 4 drives in a row. Obscene. "Muh defense" 

3 minutes ago, billybob71 said:

How much is this the Bills are a team with significant flaws, or is it the NFL is crazy this year, and every team is flawed therefore no dominant team and fasten your seatbelt its gonna be a crazy unpredictable playoffs?

I mean the way I see it the AFC is pretty even. The Bills, Bengals, and KC all have their weaknesses. The team that executes better will most likely win. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

42 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

For real?  I thought this was an incredibly good/fun game to watch...even if painful.

For me, the least enjoyable game would have been the one where we were ahead 48-0 at halftime.  

And then we win with backups playing the 2nd half 56-10.

I would have TAKEN that and even VOTED for that, but it wouldn't have been a fun game to watch! 

It was so intense that I have a headache. The game seemed like it was 8 hours long. 

Edited by newcam2012
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, Budkin said:

I hope we are not favored from here on out. Another case of huge-head-itis.

the huge head-itis in big part was due to their injury report. That likely won't be the case next week. The Bills better bring their A game and a good offensive and defensive  game plan to win next week period.

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Baba Booey said:

Well, I guess we will agree to disagree my man!! But we will never win next week against Bengals, they are just better coached and have the better QB at this moment. 

You, nor anyone else for that matter, have a clue as to how we will play against the Bengals or whomever next week. We could destroy them. Today’s game is not in any way whatsoever predictive of how the next game will go. It’s that simple. Not to mention that the Bills have won 8 straight games. And you have offered no proof, because none exist, that Josh Allen has quote regressed”. He is winning games. That’s all that matters.And you have offered no proof, because none exist, that Josh Allen has “ regressed”. He is winning games. That’s all that matters.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.