Chargers - Mike Williams and Joey Bosa hurt in meaningless game

Big Blitz

On 1/9/2023 at 7:47 AM, What a Tuel said:

Chargers don't have the luxury of resting their starters and coming out flat Saturday.

The Chargers don't have that luxury when they're locked into the #5 seed, but the Giants, who had clinched playoffs and (I think) 6th seed, did have that luxury?

Something wrong with that picture.

Oh, and BTW, the Giants put up a good fight with their 3rd string QB and a bunch of backups, and Daboll can point to that and say look, 16-22 and we can only improve from there when everyone is All In.

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

The Chargers don't have that luxury when they're locked into the #5 seed, but the Giants, who had clinched playoffs and (I think) 6th seed, did have that luxury?

Oh, and BTW, the Giants put up a good fight with their 3rd string QB and a bunch of backups, and Daboll can point to that and say look, 16-22 and we can only improve from there when everyone is All In.

I bet the Giants win this weekend. 

• Like (+1) 2

By the way, for those scoring at home, Joey Bosa practiced in full this week and has no game designation, meaning he's "good to go"

Mike Williams, on the other hand, is listed as "questionable"??????????????? with a back fracture???????????? something not right here

https://www.chargers.com/team/injury-report/

1 minute ago, TheFunPolice said:

I bet the Giants win this weekend. 

Prediction: It's gonna take a couple weird calls (which the NFL later acknowledges were wrong) and the Men In Black to stop them.

Which could happen, but it's less likely to happen against the Vikings than against the Cowboys.

5 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

By the way, for those scoring at home, Joey Bosa practiced in full this week and has no game designation, meaning he's "good to go"

Mike Williams, on the other hand, is listed as "questionable"??????????????? with a back fracture???????????? something not right here

https://www.chargers.com/team/injury-report/

Prediction: It's gonna take a couple weird calls (which the NFL later acknowledges were wrong) and the Men In Black to stop them.

Which could happen, but it's less likely to happen against the Vikings than against the Cowboys.

In all fairness, even though Williams surely did not need to be out there, this guy has been a walking spinal injury since before he came into the league. The neck injury at Clemson, a back injury coming into the league, and a couple since. He could almost sneeze and end up with an injury designation due to his back or neck at this point. 

5 minutes ago, Logic said:

Staley is not a good coach. 

I expect him to be fired within the next two seasons.

They can't waste Justin Herbert's talent with that doofus.

it's the curse of the good young QB.

Often, they keep mediocre coaches employed because their talents are enough to win just enough games

Sometimes they get lucky with good coaches (Allen, Mahomes, Jackson) but often the coach holds them back

Edited by TheFunPolice
  • Like (+1) 1

59 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

Most ridiculously unlucky Marty playoff loss ever, and there are a lot of them. Marlon McCree had the game WON if he takes a knee after picking Brady with almost no time left, but he runs it back and fumbles it back to the Pats! 

Yeah it was crazy they way they kept losing playoff games

1 hour ago, Logic said:

Staley is not a good coach. 

I expect him to be fired within the next two seasons.

They can't waste Justin Herbert's talent with that doofus.

First rumors that Carr might go to the Jets or Brady to the Fins?  If the Chargers lose to the Jags, I could see Staley fired and Sean Payton would swoop in to take over Herbert.  The AFC will be a gauntlet. 

1 hour ago, Beck Water said:

Ok but the Bucs who have a 45 year old QB allowed him to play a half against the falcons? All different strategies. If the Giants come out flat this weekend will you blame this?

Edited by What a Tuel
  • Eyeroll 1

Reading the Chargers' board, there is speculation that the decision to play the starters in a meaningless game was not Staley's. Along with analytics, he is big into sports science. He doesn't play starters in preseason and doesn't practice on Wednesdays because he doesn't want the players' bodies to take the abuse and is big into resting players rather than getting additional reps. So either the players wanted to play because of contract incentives or Spanos forced his hand. I have no idea if this is true, but that's what they're saying.

They also get into the endless debates about QB rankings and feel that Herbert is disrespected. For some reason, Josh being ranked above Herbert is the one that get's under their skin the most. 

27 minutes ago, FrenchConnection said:

Reading the Chargers' board, there is speculation that the decision to play the starters in a meaningless game was not Staley's. Along with analytics, he is big into sports science. He doesn't play starters in preseason and doesn't practice on Wednesdays because he doesn't want the players' bodies to take the abuse and is big into resting players rather than getting additional reps. So either the players wanted to play because of contract incentives or Spanos forced his hand. I have no idea if this is true, but that's what they're saying.

They also get into the endless debates about QB rankings and feel that Herbert is disrespected. For some reason, Josh being ranked above Herbert is the one that get's under their skin the most. 

I like Herbert a lot. I think him and Allen are pretty much equal arm talent wise. Josh is much more effective runner. I think most GMs, if they had to pick would take Josh, but that is not a diss to Herbet, just an nod to Josh and his accomplishments 

4 hours ago, TheProcess said:

Staley deserves everything he’s got coming to him for that one. Mike Williams is a stud on the field but is ALWAYS dinged. What benefit was there to playing a guy like that in a meaningless game?

It’s so stupid it’s unfathomable. His excuse was that he didn’t know until 1.5 hours before the game that it wouldn’t affect their seed. Still, that’s enough time to not play him because he’s made of glass and he knows that. If they lose this weekend, this will be staleys last straw imo. My one question about Sean Payton is if he would work well with the GM there. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.