Official: (Bengals) Game will not be resumed this week UPDATE: OFFICIALLY CANCELLED

Process

59 minutes ago, Cheektowaga Chad said:

Heavy dislike if this is what happens

So buffalo gets to play for a chance at a bye mean while every other team has a bye 

Just give me the 3rd seed at that point and we will go scorched earth in the playoffs 

Likewise. This scenario seems the worst all the way around for Buffalo, so it’s probably what the league will choose. I thought they wouldn’t resume the game but now I’m leaning the other way. 

5 minutes ago, BillsFanSD said:

I don't think it's worth it when you factor in having to play an additional game.  The loser of a hypothetical Bills-Bengals restart is going to be made much worse off than if the league had simply assigned them a loss.  The winner will be happy, but my guess is that both teams would reject this offer if they were given a reasonable alternative, such as a coin flip.  

If it were up to me as a fan, I would rather settle for the #3 seed with certainty and skip the Bengals game than replay that game while our potential next-week opponent gets a bye.  

Ultimately I do agree, I don't like the proposal. They're still only playing 17 games with automatic advancement on the line but I understand what you're saying.

43 minutes ago, Draconator said:

I have no opinion on what will happen. Just offering what our former GM says

Thoughts are it's a little late for that now, it's Wednesday night with no announcement made. 

Teams are already preparing for this week. 

The train is leaving the station here soon. 

Just now, Kiva said:

Inactives would have to stay consistent. Hubbard. 

Agree. 

Bengals don't get Hubbard. 

Bills can not suddenly call up Benford. 

40 minutes ago, Motor26 said:

I really wish they would just end any talk of this game being played. Make the Bills forfeit, call it a no-contest, whatever, but they have to move past this game. 

The pressure from the NFL talk shows (and general fans) really ramped up today. Like 99% of what i listened to and watched said they HAVE to play this game… even if it means massive inconvenience for the overall playoff dates.  There does not seem to be any national support to make it a no-contest or whatever. I’m surprised. I really thought we could put this game in the rear view mirror and move on. it’s a sport not such a serious thing to HAVE to make up the game.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

The Hamlin situation is unfortunate. But it's a fact of life. We as humans deal with it or will at some point in our lives. At this stage, I wouldn't be upset if the Bills decided to drop the remaining games and playoffs and let the next teams advance in their place. The playoffs will have an asterisk next to them anyway as will the Superbowl. It's an inescapable cloud now, a controversial situation if you will. But the reality is, the living and able move forward.

Lets face facts. Hamlin won't be playing in the NFL again. You either play to honor him at this point, or you take the time to grieve for him. Both are acceptable to me. But the world does not stop around people who are dying, in comas or in the hospital.

The NFL is a business and they have handled this poorly in my opinion. Both teams have handled it professionally. I don't know that you can go back to the Bengals stadium so soon and play the game again. You certainly can't just pickup where it left off. That leaves an asterisk anyway in the game. Nobody knows what the outcome would have been originally.

Obviously this is a first in the "modern NFL", but not the first. However nobody remembered the player who died in 1971, but they will remember this because of it's implications for the season.

Hamlin's prognosis is low, but his odds improved because of the true spirit of the teams and the fans, and medicine. But it teaches everyone that life is fragile.

Ultimately, I accept whatever the Bills decide to do. But the team needs to be all in on the decision and the NFL needs to adjust accordingly.

I don't think you can or should replay the game, personally. But I am a fan and I will watch it regardless and root for the Bills, win or loss. But if the players aren't going to go out and actually play, then don't bother, don't phone it in.

3 minutes ago, zow2 said:

The pressure from the NFL talk shows (and general fans) really ramped up today. Like 99% of what i listened to and watched said they HAVE to play this game… even if it means massive inconvenience for the overall playoff dates.  There does not seem to be any national support to make it a no-contest or whatever. I’m surprised. I really thought we could put this game in the rear view mirror and move on. it’s a sport not such a serious thing to HAVE to make up the game.

Because the NFL doesn't miss games.

They set that precedent in the lockout that resulted in only the HOF Game cancelled.

And they found a way to get all of the 2020 season in. 

So, I get why the other teams want an official result on the field, not some math determination. 

4 minutes ago, zow2 said:

It sounds like the Bills are in the drivers seat, or are at least a serious part of the conversation on what to do. I think if the Bills want to play. Make it happen. If they don’t, nobody owes anybody anything.

I think it’s telling that Burrow said guys are split on playing this week. That’s the temperature of the players, which is sobering. 

3 minutes ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

Because the NFL doesn't miss games.

They set that precedent in the lockout that resulted in only the HOF Game cancelled.

And they found a way to get all of the 2020 season in. 

So, I get why the other teams want an official result on the field, not some math determination. 

And i think they would have 100% found a way to fit this game in, if the event didn’t happen in week 17.  They just can’t flex this game into a time slot with massive upheaval of the entire playoff schedule..and all the behind the scenes logistical aspects of it.

5 minutes ago, Mango said:

It sounds like the Bills are in the drivers seat, or are at least a serious part of the conversation on what to do. I think if the Bills want to play. Make it happen. If they don’t, nobody owes anybody anything.

I think it’s telling that Burrow said guys are split on playing this week. That’s the temperature of the players, which is sobering. 

I heard some report (can’t remember where) that the Bills are not fond of going back to the Jungle to play this specific game. Call it bad mojo, or just too soon emotionally, but that could be the deciding factor to not playing the game.  If the playoff path leads them back to Cincinnati then so be it.

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, zow2 said:

And i think they would have 100% found a way to fit this game in, if the event didn’t happen in week 17.  They just can’t flex this game into a time slot with massive upheaval of the entire playoff schedule..and all the behind the scenes logistical aspects of it.

I heard some report (can’t remember where) that the Bills are not fond of going back to the Jungle to play this specific game. Call it bad mojo, or just too soon emotionally, but that could be the deciding factor to not playing the game.  If the playoff path leads them back to Cincinnati then so be it.

We’ve been over this. There isn’t a mass upheaval to anyone. None of the playoff games have been scheduled. In fact, neither conference even has a locked in #1 seed yet. 

1 hour ago, Draconator said:

I have no opinion on what will happen. Just offering what our former GM says

The teams playing out the string wouldnt want this. They want to fire coaches and get to interviewing people. 

With all due respect to Whaley, this is a non starter and a good reminder of why hes not in the NFL anymore

• Like (+1) 1

One thing I’d say about playing the game - if we do so, let it be a Thursday night game rather than a Sunday night. Give another couple of days to recover before the Wildcard round.

The big question is is the week’s gap between the Conference Championships and Super Bowl needed? The neatest thing would be to remove it.

• Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.