Damar Hamlin - Now (1/11/2023) discharged from Buf Gen & “recovering at home”

SDS

9 hours ago, LOVEMESOMEBILLS said:

They stated that it was unknown at the time of the press conference if he could play again. Diagnosis and testing for any preexisting conditions and/or permanent damage to organs still needed to be done.

But if the diagnosis is indeed Coriolise Cordis, with no preexisting condition or permanent damage from what happened Monday night he would be able to play again, if he chose to do so.

The chances of him suffering from Coriolise Cordis a 2nd time would be the same as anyone else.....At least a couple million to 1.

8 hours ago, BillsFan692 said:

Wrong.

See: Alex Smith

I saw him selling slippers on TV.  I did not see him receive CPR on the field.

7 hours ago, LOVEMESOMEBILLS said:

If given a clean bill of health from the doctors and the green light to continue his career. how would Buffalo be liable if the same thing were to happen again. If he can and the desire is there to play again, it'll either be with Buffalo or a different team, like the Steelers.

6 hours ago, DaBillsFanSince1973 said:

disagree. the game (profession) comes with serious risk. players know that, owners/organizations know that. I'm sure somewhere in the contract is a clause that states something like the owner/team are not liable for injury/death due to the risk involved with said profession. regardless of how many times said player is injured while under contract with said team.

A clean bill of health from team doctors is where the liability may reside.  Imagine if any cardiac event at all happens to this kid while playing/working out/practicing.  The player and family will naturally challenge the medical decision making in retrospect.

1 minute ago, Mr. WEO said:

A clean bill of health from team doctors is where the liability may reside.  Imagine if any cardiac event at all happens to this kid while playing/working out/practicing.  The player and family will naturally challenge the medical decision making in retrospect.

You have him sign a waiver absolving the team/doctors from responsibility if it happens again.

55 minutes ago, Doc said:

You have him sign a waiver absolving the team/doctors from responsibility if it happens again.

It would not be enforceable.  But I can guarantee the team could not care less about being held liable in this situation, for a lot of reasons that are too boring to go into.

1 hour ago, mannc said:

It would not be enforceable.  But I can guarantee the team could not care less about being held liable in this situation, for a lot of reasons that are too boring to go into.

If they don't care about being held liable, then no need for further discussion.

9 minutes ago, boyst said:

Gronk donated $6900 🙄🤯😂😂

Seemed weird as he asked Kay adams as she interviewed him how much he should donate.LIVE; it was HERV choice for the 6900$ as he said from some minimum number up to. 15k$.  She said that number as she was winking , smiling at gronk who continued to suggest he was bored and still might have “5 years “ left. It was perhaps tongue in cheek with Kay suggesting that number, but it seemed weird and awkward to me as it was her podcast / YouTube UP & ADAMS  show.  May have meant nothing more than a multiple of 3 but it was Kay who  made up that # to donate.  Why not choose 15 k as it was an option/ multiple of 3, or 8 $k , somewhere in the middle but more than 1/2 of the range Gronk offered to donate live BASED on Kates decision ? It’s Not gronks jersey or area code etc.  ; anybody else see that cheeky , weird interaction , and know why Kay chose that figure ? ( I could see Gronk joking with the “69”00 $ contribution , but it was Kay’s choice and she had even earlier asked about Gronks Christmas gift for  his girlfriend, so I just don’t get why that number ?  Just joking or something else I’m not aware of ?). 

I was wondering about Hamlin’s feasibility to play again even if cleared. Right now I believe work comp law means any medical issues he has the remainder of His life related to this injury are by law covered by either the Bills or NFL. Does that remain in place if he goes back to THIS work specifically, and suffers another injury ?  Any attorneys who know work comp law have a full understanding? 
I am not 100 % positive but I thought he was also being assured he would be getting a financial package from the NFL to help cover his financial future as well given this unique situation, considering he is on a lower tiered contract now and there apparently was to be some discussion about the 8 mil donated and how it’s all used in addition. Some undoubtedly will wish  to be sure Hamlin received some contributions just to protect his future financial security  should he not be cleared or he chooses to never take that risk again regardless of medical clearance ( I am no pro athlete , but if I had a unique arrest like that and walked away with my brain intact , not much chance I PERSONALLY would risk my heart/ brain again as there is no way any dr signs  off saying there is 0 % chance of recurrence or some other related injury couldn’t happen in this violent , collision sport).  Would you take a chance on a new contract even if “ CLEARED TO PLAY AGAIN”?  😊

3 hours ago, DrPJax said:

Some undoubtedly will wish  to be sure Hamlin received some contributions just to protect his future financial security  should he not be cleared or he chooses to never take that risk again regardless of medical clearance ( I am no pro athlete , but if I had a unique arrest like that and walked away with my brain intact , not much chance I PERSONALLY would risk my heart/ brain again as there is no way any dr signs  off saying there is 0 % chance of recurrence or some other related injury couldn’t happen in this violent , collision sport).  

Earlier, it was reported that the Bills worked out a deal to pay him his full contract, when legally, being put on IR, they only had to pay him half.  As for playing again, I believe he's still young enough that if he feels comfortable enough, and gets medical clearance, he will be playing somewhere next year. 

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

13 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

I saw him selling slippers on TV.  I did not see him receive CPR on the field.

Its honestly the worst kind of people who cant just admit when they are wrong. Instead, they got to double down!!!

Alex Smith almost died from flesh eating bacterial infections after his bone split in two and protruded through his calf tissue.

It was life threatening and his recovery was very, very long.

Washington commanders let him play again before fans and media decided theyd seen enough of alex and every time he dropped back we would all cringe. Especially when hed come up limping.

So its nonsense that you say the Bills would not let Hamlin return if he desires and if he is given a clean bill of health. Its also non sense to assume the bills would be at all liable for a grown mans own personal decisions.

This arguement is intellectually over. If you choose to carry on with it you are just being dishonest.

Its up to damar and the doctors. A come back story is actually something the NFL loves (see: alex smith).

Edited by BillsFan692
  • Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, BillsFan692 said:

Its honestly the worst kind of people who cant just admit when they are wrong. Instead, they got to double down!!!

Alex Smith almost died from flesh eating bacterial infections after his bone split in two and protruded through his calf tissue.

It was life threatening and his recovery was very, very long.

Washington commanders let him play again before fans and media decided theyd seen enough of alex and every time he dropped back we would all cringe. Especially when hed come up limping.

So its nonsense that you say the Bills would not let Hamlin return if he desires and if he is given a clean bill of health. Its also non sense to assume the bills would be at all liable for a grown mans own personal decisions.

This arguement is intellectually over. If you choose to carry on with it you are just being dishonest.

Its up to damar and the doctors. A come back story is actually something the NFL loves (see: alex smith).

flesh eating, you say?

• Haha (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.