Damar Hamlin - Now (1/11/2023) discharged from Buf Gen & “recovering at home”

SDS

Beane is undisputed NFL Executive of the Year, correct? (Would be his second in 3 years).

Managing the countless moving pieces, player and staff emotional well being, and communicating as much as possible when appropriate, all with the entire world watching, with his standard of giving all credit to others, (sorry, lots of commas)… kudos to Brandon yet again. 

• Agree 1

51 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

My first posted guess after Hamlin went down was HOCM, given the atypical mechanism of injury (not a projectile the the chest) for commotio cordis.

The latter would be a better diagnosis for his long term health as it denotes an otherwise normal heart with normal function.  One in a million hit causing v-fib, easily shockable rhythm. HOCM rules him out for any significant, pro level activity.

I thought most D1 schools screen top signings for HOCM though, with ECHO.  You would think NFL teams would make it mandatory before signing a contract.

That's a really good question - what screenings do they do? (and also, intending no aspersions so college football fans please don't beat me, is Pitt a top program that would screen?  My friend's daughter went to a D1 school and they didn't screen her.

I had thought (and this is just chit chat with cardiologists during my mom's CHF diagnosis) that there was a bunch of work about detecting HCM by 12 lead EKG now.   This kind of thing, which was just published when my mom was being diagnosed

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4344534/

The idea being that echocardiograms don't detect HCM before the heart muscle actually thickens, but they were able to pull out subtleties from the EKG that did.

I haven't kept up, and like a lot of research it may or may not have panned out in wider use.

I won't speak again what I feared it was.

Edited by Beck Water

55 minutes ago, Draconator said:

Awesome 

Our guy Levi Wallace! And Edmunds brother 

True story about Levi I've said on here before.  A year or 2 ago in the off season he gave out his # on ig or Twitter and wanted ppl to text him.

I did and he called me back and we had a nice 5 minute convo. Great dude!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

24 minutes ago, JerseyBills said:

Awesome 

Our guy Levi Wallace! And Edmunds brother 

True story about Levi I've said on here before.  A year or 2 ago in the off season he gave out his # on ig or Twitter and wanted ppl to text him.

I did and he called me back and we had a nice 5 minute convo. Great dude!

The Edmunds family id great too.  Had the opportunity to meet them a couple times, just great people.  I hope we extend Edmunds this year.

1 hour ago, Mr. WEO said:

My first posted guess after Hamlin went down was HOCM, given the atypical mechanism of injury (not a projectile the the chest) for commotio cordis.

The latter would be a better diagnosis for his long term health as it denotes an otherwise normal heart with normal function.  One in a million hit causing v-fib, easily shockable rhythm. HOCM rules him out for any significant, pro level activity.

I thought most D1 schools screen top signings for HOCM though, with ECHO.  You would think NFL teams would make it mandatory before signing a contract.

Penn State has had three players medically retire due to hypertrophic cardiomyopathy (HCM) diagnosed in asymptomatic players, in the past five years.

Two (one was a DB, one an OT) were high profile recruits that were diagnosed by screening (most likely a conventional echocardiogram, but this is an assumption) on arrival at PSU.  This makes sense to me, as high schools typically dont do any cardiac screening for athletes, so the first time D1 student athletes get cardiac screening is when they enter college.  

The third case is a bit more complicated.  Journey Brown played 3 years, and was considered a day 2 draft pick going into the 2020 season.  But, because of Covid and the threat of myocarditis due to Covid (not Covid vaccine, since this was in the days before Covid vaccine, think Tommy Sweeny who had Covid myocarditis), all PSU players had additional baseline cardiac testing.  It was during this second round of screening that the docs discovered that Journey Brown had HCM.  But he had played 3 years without any reported cardiac problem before the diagnosis became evident with a second round of testing.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/30299931/penn-state-journey-brown-retiring-football-due-heart-condition

HCM is a genetic condition that you're born with, but, as with many genetic conditions, the condition may become evident at different times in life.  

Why did the initial set of tests not discover HCM? 

The above notes are facts, but now I'm going to speculate.

My guess is that either he had a normal echo on enrollment at PSU, but that the disease progressed, such that a second echo now picked up the disease.

Alternatively, he may have had a borderline echo with the second echo, such that he was sent for additional testing.  He did in fact have an additional evaluation at Hershey Med Center (100 miles from PSU), where the diagnosis was made.  My guess is that Brown did indeed have additional tests, such as cardiac MRI,  stress echo, and molecular genetic testing to assist in making the diagnosis.

My guess, and this is speculation, is that NFL teams do screening echos on players.  But these initial screens arent perfect, as illustrated by Journey Brown's case.

• Thank you (+1) 2

38 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

That's a really good question - what screenings do they do? (and also, intending no aspersions so college football fans please don't beat me, is Pitt a top program that would screen?  My friend's daughter went to a D1 school and they didn't screen her.

I had thought (and this is just chit chat with cardiologists during my mom's CHF diagnosis) that there was a bunch of work about detecting HCM by 12 lead EKG now.   This kind of thing, which was just published when my mom was being diagnosed

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4344534/

The idea being that echocardiograms don't detect HCM before the heart muscle actually thickens, but they were able to pull out subtleties from the EKG that did.

I haven't kept up, and like a lot of research it may or may not have panned out in wider use.

I won't speak again what I feared it was.

this “machine learning” EKG is pretty interesting.  The issue becomes: a player is screened, it’s positive, they get referred to the Cardiologist for stress ECHO, etc which does not show hypertrophied.  Do they prevent the player from playing with a functional and structurally normal heart?

2 minutes ago, pennstate10 said:

Penn State has had three players medically retire due to hypertrophic cardiomyopathy (HCM) diagnosed in asymptomatic players, in the past five years.

Two (one was a DB, one an OT) were high profile recruits that were diagnosed by screening (most likely a conventional echocardiogram, but this is an assumption) on arrival at PSU.  This makes sense to me, as high schools typically dont do any cardiac screening for athletes, so the first time D1 student athletes get cardiac screening is when they enter college.  

The third case is a bit more complicated.  Journey Brown played 3 years, and was considered a day 2 draft pick going into the 2020 season.  But, because of Covid and the threat of myocarditis due to Covid (not Covid vaccine, since this was in the days before Covid vaccine, think Tommy Sweeny who had Covid myocarditis), all PSU players had additional baseline cardiac testing.  It was during this second round of screening that the docs discovered that Journey Brown had HCM.  But he had played 3 years without any reported cardiac problem before the diagnosis became evident with a second round of testing.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/30299931/penn-state-journey-brown-retiring-football-due-heart-condition

HCM is a genetic condition that you're born with, but, as with many genetic conditions, the condition may become evident at different times in life.  

Why did the initial set of tests not discover HCM? 

The above notes are facts, but now I'm going to speculate.

My guess is that either he had a normal echo on enrollment at PSU, but that the disease progressed, such that a second echo now picked up the disease.

Alternatively, he may have had a borderline echo with the second echo, such that he was sent for additional testing.  He did in fact have an additional evaluation at Hershey Med Center (100 miles from PSU), where the diagnosis was made.  My guess is that Brown did indeed have additional tests, such as cardiac MRI,  stress echo, and molecular genetic testing to assist in making the diagnosis.

My guess, and this is speculation, is that NFL teams do screening echos on players.  But these initial screens arent perfect, as illustrated by Journey Brown's case.

I agree he may have had evolved HOCM (back in the day in med school, we still threw in the “O” for Obstructive) since (if) he was screened for it

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

this “machine learning” EKG is pretty interesting.  The issue becomes: a player is screened, it’s positive, they get referred to the Cardiologist for stress ECHO, etc which does not show hypertrophied.  Do they prevent the player from playing with a functional and structurally normal heart?

Again, way above my knowledge base,but if it's felt to have a genetic component, I would think genetic screening and from @pennstate10 knowledge, cardiac MRI as perhaps the most definitive test, would be next steps.

But that doesn't address your fundamental issue which seems to be: if the genetic screening is positive, but the functional diagnostic tests (stress echo, cardiac MRI) do not show current disease, do you keep them off the field?  And I can make arguments both ways on that.

I would think they would keep him from playing. 

Edited by Beck Water
  • Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, Albany,n.y. said:

I hope someone has a way for Damar to watch the Bills game on Sunday.  The TV in the hospital will be showing the Bengals game based on the 506 maps.  

Might be advised against watching the game.

AnxiousQuickDairycow-size_restricted.gif

Edited by The Wiz
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.