Damar Hamlin - Now (1/11/2023) discharged from Buf Gen & “recovering at home”

SDS

2 minutes ago, Draconator said:

Tom Brady donated $10,000 to Damar's charity.

I hope that the money that's coming in is managed well and a large charitable organization is born out of it helping thousands of underprivileged kids.  That's the legacy Hamlin deserves no matter how long he lives.

• Agree 2

18 hours ago, ArtVandalay said:

I think you have no idea what working in a busy hospital is like, they aren't sitting around watching tv.

Actually there is a dedicated trauma team

for the NFL. What would they be doing except watching the game. 

40 minutes ago, SageAgainstTheMachine said:

Given roster turnover I can’t imagine there are any two players in the NFL with more than two degrees of separation.

yea, between college, camps, regional connections (high schools with an nfl talent or two find their way to state championships often), shared agents, shared marketing guys, pro bowls, etc… guys are on each others radars for a lot of years in that super elite skill range that makes up the nfl brotherhood. And that’s all outside the roster churn of playing together or getting together for fun in the off-season 

While talking to docs in ER where I worked last night they too agreed it was a heart electrical issue brought on by timing of the hit to the chest... from one doc "this is a known risk with all contact sports". 

But I wanted to clarify... a vascular injury such an aortic dissection ( where the lining on the inside of aorta pulls away from the aortic wall) or an Aneurysm ( a weakening in the aortic wall) probably would have burst and Hamlin would no longer be with us...

Coronary blockages can cleaned out result heart attacks if not addressed..  Coronary arteries supply oxygenated blood to heart muscle... There are two nodes alongside the heart that control the contractions of the heart and when they get shocked it messes the rhythm up which is likely what happened to Damar... Older folks such as my Dad suffers from AFib and atrial flutter both signaling issues due to age... he has a pacemaker now and an aed built into it to keep his heart in rhythm.  

I agree with the sentiment that last night probably changed most people in some way, especially in terms of what winning or losing really means to them/us as fans.  I care more about this team, this particular group of guys who have represented the Buffalo Bills and everything that means, in a way no other has before them, than I do about winning homefield advantage or a Super Bowl… Keep fighting Damar.

• Like (+1) 1

Was thinking about any comparisons in sports to what happened yesterday, and one of the first ones I came up with was the death of Dale Earnhardt Sr. at the Daytona 500.

I then realized that Earnhardt’s car number and Hamlin’s jersey number were both 3....freaky coincidence.

• Shocked 1

22 minutes ago, redtail hawk said:

read the linked information.  not talking about a heart attack.  not limiting vascular to the coronary arteries.  all arrhythmias are "shockable".  Some respond better to other measures.

My response was for the poster you were replying to, who seemed to be asking if he should have a vascular repair intervention. 

16 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

Actually there is a dedicated trauma team

for the NFL. What would they be doing except watching the game

Praying they get to keep watching? That’s what I’d be doing. 

3 minutes ago, Motorin' said:

I was a bit surprised to hear Cowherd today say “let’s pray”, and I’m pleasantly shocked to see this. 

• Like (+1) 4

Just now, BuffaloBaumer said:

It's amazing how little I care about the rest of the season. If the Bills turned around and said our season is over, I would not care one bit. It's gonna be really tough to watch this team play football again.

they will rally and it’ll be empowering for fans to support and teammates to experience 

today is dark but sports also bring out the best 

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, Special K said:

Was thinking about any comparisons in sports to what happened yesterday, and one of the first ones I came up with was the death of Dale Earnhardt Sr. at the Daytona 500.

I then realized that Earnhardt’s car number and Hamlin’s jersey number were both 3....freaky coincidence.

I was a big dale fan and I would agree with you, feels very similar 

• Like (+1) 3

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.