Damar Hamlin - Now (1/11/2023) discharged from Buf Gen & “recovering at home”

SDS

17 hours ago, pennstate10 said:

My best guess is that this is correct.  The Hit didnt look severe enough to cause commotio cordis, and if it did, he would have sudden vfib, and wouldnt have stood up.

I think a vascular injury, vertebral artery (neck seemed to take most of the blow) or aortic/subclavian artery rupture/dissection is most likely. Seems that he's stabilized now, but may have suffered brain injury due to cardiac arrest or hypotension. 

Wouldn't a vascular injury serious enough to cause Hamlin to go down require emergency surgery to repair the vessel.  That doesn't seem to be the case here

6 minutes ago, JÂy RÛßeÒ said:

Mr. Eisen very eloquently stated what many of us are dealing with today.

I know I am guilty of celebrating the violence of the sport, literally reveling in the physical punishment our defense inflicted on Mike White of the Jets a few weeks back.  If Milano's hit had been a couple of inches further up and to the right, at a specific time in White's heartbeat... who knows?

They're human beings.

I get the thought, but you can't think like this. This is a incredibly specific and rare type of injury. It's really not about the hit, as this injury is classically more linked to baseball. It can even happen through general horseplay and goofing off with buddies or kids being stupid.

Yeah the game is violent and has a lot of problems and these guys are putting themselves in harms way, but this was such a freak event on a rather mundane play, I just don't believe it's fair to examine the overall issue in that way.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

5 minutes ago, prissythecat said:

Wouldn't a vascular injury serious enough to cause Hamlin to go down require emergency surgery to repair the vessel.  That doesn't seem to be the case here

I don't believe he would have survived if this was a serious vascular injury. I pray that's not the case, because there was simply too much time between the hit and even just when he finally left the stadium. Being able to survive and recover from an injury like that would arguably be even more of a rare event than the occurrence of the injury itself.

29 minutes ago, CorkScrewHill said:

Always a class act. Mike Tomlin shares about his personal relationship with Damar Hamlin (since he was 12) and how he reached out to Sean to offer any assistance he can provide.

It’s amazing to see how much cross team knowledge about players and families there is.  I guess with college, various football camps and free agency guys interact with each other frequently.

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, prissythecat said:

They might choose to treat medically until stable:   https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/aortic-dissection/diagnosis-treatment/drc-20369499 

Just now, Dick_Cheney said:

I don't believe he would have survived if this was a serious vascular injury. I pray that's not the case, because there was simply too much time between the hit and even just when he finally left the stadium. Being able to survive and recover from an injury like that would arguably be even more of a rare event than the occurrence of the injury itself.

Yes.  He would most likely be dead if it was a vascular injury.

Even local cardiologists here are saying they feel its commotio cordis.

https://www.wkbw.com/news/local-news/medical-experts-discuss-damar-hamlin-what-may-have-caused-cardiac-arrest

22 minutes ago, BuffaloBill said:

It’s amazing to see how much cross team knowledge about players and families there is.  I guess with college, various football camps and free agency guys interact with each other frequently.

Given roster turnover I can’t imagine there are any two players in the NFL with more than two degrees of separation.

18 hours ago, pennstate10 said:

Seems that he's stabilized now, but may have suffered brain injury due to cardiac arrest or hypotension. 

That’s my big worry. I know he’s in the induced coma to give his heart and brain a chance to recover. But how is his brain gonna be after needing CPR for nine minutes? 

I normally can’t stand Mike Schopp but he kicked his show off today saying maybe we all changed a little bit after witnessing that last night. I think he nailed it. I’m having a hard time giving a ***** about week 18 or the playoffs right now. 

• Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, Dick_Cheney said:

I get the thought, but you can't think like this. This is a incredibly specific and rare type of injury. It's really not about the hit, as this injury is classically more linked to baseball. It can even happen through general horseplay and goofing off with buddies or kids being stupid.

Yeah the game is violent and has a lot of problems and these guys are putting themselves in harms way, but this was such a freak event on a rather mundane play, I just don't believe it's fair to examine the overall issue in that way.

I played until high school and if I was more gifted would have gladly played as long as possible. Unfortunately i was only 5'10 165 , so my dreams evaporated after HS. But I had a blast. Great memories 

I love this game and no matter what happens with Damar , I hope the game doesn't change. 

We know what we're signing up for when we hit that field. And myself and millions others love and risked our bodies to play this game

I'm 33 and I'm sickened by this and I don't know Damar personally but I'm pretty certain , for him to reach this level, he loved this game and wouldn't want it to change. We all know the dangers and signed up anyway.  Kinda like going to war. This is an extremely physical, strategic and violent game. That's a reason I love it and I'm sure many others. 

Watching a 24 y/o clinging to life makes me sick. I'd be sick if he wasn't a Bill but it makes it that much more personal.  But anyone that played or is a real fan knows that this was a possibility on any given Friday, Saturday or Sunday

It's just prayers to Damar Hamlin and his family and the game goes on. 

19 minutes ago, CorkScrewHill said:

Always a class act. Mike Tomlin shares about his personal relationship with Damar Hamlin (since he was 12) and how he reached out to Sean to offer any assistance he can provide.

Tomlin is a great person by all accounts. I was listening to a former play - didn’t catch the name - and they said back in their playing days he BEGGED Tomlin to let him play after an injury. Even brought in doctors and so forth to convince Tomlin. After a bit, he kicked everyone out of the room except the player and told him “if you were my child, I wouldn’t let you play” and that was that. He cares about his players.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.