Mt. Rushmore of busts. Is Wilson on it?

Cson76

I am shocked by how bad he is. He's just awful. Most guys at least flash some stuff or have a great game here and there. Wilson has nothing going for him. He has no charisma on the field or off. You can see why his teammate don't seem to like him and instantly seem more energized when he's benched

Wilson is definitely not on the list…yet. Just like the hall of fame, a player needs time to be considered an all time bust. Jamarcus Russell deserves to be up there because people remember how extraordinarily bad he was. Tim Couch is just a forgotten player, so for me he wouldn’t be even in the conversation. Certainly wasn’t a great player, but you don’t really remember anything about him.

Can’t label a guy in his second year an all time bust (although that happens here all the time)

3 hours ago, Cson76 said:

This NFL writer is saying he's up there.  Ryan Leaf, jamarcus Russel are on it. Possibly Johnny manziel. Wilson as a number 2 overall might be there with them.  

https://www.nj.com/sports/2022/12/nfl-analyst-says-jets-zach-wilson-could-be-one-of-biggest-busts-in-nfl-history.html

Jonny manziel was like 27th overall 

far from the biggest whiffs ever

• Like (+1) 2

I think it might be early to state that- I mean it's bad - he looks awful - maybe being in NYC was just to much pressure and he crumbled and he will turn it around in a different team/system.

Side note-Isnt it such a relief that you don't have to break the bank and set your organization back 5 years everytime you draft high and the player just fizzles- I hated that part of the game back in the day

1 hour ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

I don't know Tim Couch, Joey Harrington and Akili Smith come immediately to mind as bigger busts than Wilson.  

And that is just QB's - I'm looking at you Tony Mandarich

Haha-Not sure why, but reading this made me instantly remember Aaron Maybin- 

• Like (+1) 1

Everyone should be in Ralph Wilson's debt.

1)  He brought the Bills to Western New York

2)  In his will he did everything he could to make sure the Bills stayed in Western New York.

3) He saved Al Davis's financial butt

4) He won 2 AFL championships and got the Bills to the AFL championship game vs KC to go to the first Super bowl (called the AFL-NFL world Championship)

5) He got the Bills to 4 straight super Bowls

Let the poor man rest in peace.

Edited by longtimebillsfan
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

2 hours ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

That is a really pathetic and sad story.  I am thrilled Walter turned into a success after football.   Saban could be tough, no doubt about it, "tough" doesn't work on every player.  Of course that ass Rex Ryan has to jump on Patulski out of thin air.  He was supposed to be a HC, not an "entertainer" during that Edelman press conference.

True about Rex, but had he been a winner here, those antics would have been stuff of legend and fans would have absolutely eaten it up. Bottom line:  it’s all about the W’s and L’s

1 hour ago, RobbRiddick said:

I am shocked by how bad he is. He's just awful. Most guys at least flash some stuff or have a great game here and there. Wilson has nothing going for him. He has no charisma on the field or off. You can see why his teammate don't seem to like him and instantly seem more energized when he's benched

Sad that he had one of his better games against the Bills 

3 hours ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

Agree I was just listing the top 3 picks, my point was 1 and 3 were busts.  I'll go back and edit to clarify that!

Agree I was just listing the top 3 picks, my point was 1 and 3 were busts.  I'll go back and edit to clarify that!

Tim Couch wasn't a bust guys. He had the Browns in the playoffs in year 3, broke his leg. 

3 hours ago, starrymessenger said:

Tua played at Alabama in the SEC and he was good there. Zach had one good year against poor competition behind a very good offensive line. 
Zach is short. Some QBs can deal with that and still excel. With him it looks like it adds to his difficulty in seeing the field over nfl defensive linemen.. His mechanics are a mess and his accuracy is dreadful. He has no intangibles appeal and is hated by his teammates.

I would not say he has all the skills. The mental component in him is entirely lacking. All he has is a live arm, which is good but probably the last thing you should bet the house on when evaluating a college QB. 
Probably some organization will think they can turn him around but I'd be skeptical. 

Zach is 6'2" - same as Aaron Rodgers. Not short - Kyler Murray is short.

• Like (+1) 1

being an expert on busts, mostly womens, on occasion I do stray into the realm of jock-sniffing, jock-worship and just plain..joucularity:

https://sportsnaut.com/20-biggest-nfl-draft-busts-of-all-time/

take your pick, no Bills on the list...so:

https://clutchpoints.com/5-biggest-nfl-draft-busts-in-buffalo-bills-history

I also add:

70s...Walt Patulski, The Nebraska LB Twins 80s...Booker Moore, Perry Tuttle...2015...Marcel Dareus....

hey it happens to every team....happy holidays everybody !

He is not on the Mt Rushmore.  I don't believe he was all that "can't miss" and was drafted more on potential and skill set.

It does probably stings for jets fans that they don't have fields

I'd say akili Smith, mandarich,  Joey Harrington, Ryan leaf, David Carr, boz, Andre ware, tim couch, and maybe same Bradford were all worse busts and would be more memorable candidates for the Mt Rushmore of busts.

Edited by May Day 10

5 hours ago, dpberr said:

IMO, No. 

Guys like Mandarich, Emtman, Bosworth all had far more college accolades and didn't quite get there in the NFL. Then you've  virtually every all world RB out of Penn State from Blair Thomas to Kijana Carter.

Wilson is like Akili Smith, Andre Ware, Tim Couch. One great college year but was way over drafted by a desperate team. 

I’m guessing you haven’t seen NFC pro bowl roster. 

1 hour ago, longtimebillsfan said:

Everyone should be in Ralph Wilson's debt.

1)  He brought the Bills to Western New York

2)  In his will he did everything he could to make sure the Bills stayed in Western New York.

3) He saved Al Davis's financial butt

4) He won 2 AFL championships and got the Bills to the AFL championship game vs KC to go to the first Super bowl (called the AFL-NFL world Championship)

5) He got the Bills to 4 straight super Bowls

Let the poor man rest in peace.

But...He was a bust at QB 😀

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.