Mt. Rushmore of busts. Is Wilson on it?

Cson76

15 minutes ago, First Round Bust said:

being an expert on busts, mostly womens, on occasion I do stray into the realm of jock-sniffing, jock-worship and just plain..joucularity:

https://sportsnaut.com/20-biggest-nfl-draft-busts-of-all-time/

take your pick, no Bills on the list...so:

https://clutchpoints.com/5-biggest-nfl-draft-busts-in-buffalo-bills-history

I also add:

70s...Walt Patulski, The Nebraska LB Twins 80s...Booker Moore, Perry Tuttle...2015...Marcel Dareus....

hey it happens to every team....happy holidays everybody !

Dareus? The guy made the pro bowl 

5 hours ago, Buftex said:

He's just the latest..his career isnt over yet, either.  I would say Josh Rosen is a much more serious contender at this point.  I also wouldn't put JaMarcus on there either. He was vastly overrated, and overdrafted by the Raiders...but most didn't have any huge expectations for him....he was a very green prospect.  Someone like Rosen was pretty universally expected to be an bonafide NFL starter.  Russell was always viewed as a very raw prospect.  Who knows, had he been drafted in the 3rd or 4th round, as many expected, he might have developed into something more.  Team overdrafted him, and put unreasonable expecations on him...he was bound for failure.

Hmm…

Jamarcus was the #1 #1, played in only a handful of games, and was out of the league in 3 yrs. 

And he’s not a bust?

ok

No.

The number of Top 5 draft picks who have busted is about a mile long.  There is nothing about Zach Wilson (assuming he holds to the current career path) that really stands out to me.

What makes a bust legendary are the behind-the-scene stories of how they destroyed once-promising careers.  Jamarcus Russell lying to his coaches about watching film.  Ryan Leaf's horrific attitude towards his teammates, the media and fans.

• Agree 1

17 minutes ago, mjt328 said:

No.

The number of Top 5 draft picks who have busted is about a mile long.  There is nothing about Zach Wilson (assuming he holds to the current career path) that really stands out to me.

What makes a bust legendary are the behind-the-scene stories of how they destroyed once-promising careers.  Jamarcus Russell lying to his coaches about watching film.  Ryan Leaf's horrific attitude towards his teammates, the media and fans.

Todd Marinovich and Art Schlichter would be on the Mt Rushmore of busts before Wilson. 

Brady Quinn was a bust.

He had a physique, but I remember him for zero arm strength.

Johnny Manziel, of course, he was photographed in Vegas on the first weekend off at Browns Training Camp.

I’d say Matt Leinhart was a massive bust too. That guy couldn’t take a hit in college, and was a noodle arm in the NFL. 

10 hours ago, SinceThe70s said:

They were talking about this on WFAN this morning. One of the talking heads claimed that the Raiders sent Jamarcus home with blank DVD's to see if he was really studying. Never heard that one before - looks legit:

"The coaches would send Russell home with a game-plan DVD loaded with plays and ideas to study. Suspecting that their bonus-baby quarterback was skipping his homework, the coaches slipped in a blank DVD one day. When Russell returned, he reportedly said the game plan looked good to him."

https://www.nfl.com/news/jamarcus-russell-and-the-raiders-blank-dvd-caper-0ap1000000210130

That says a lot about the raiders coaching staff and culture that they would even think that's a good idea

Being upfront and straight forward is always the better idea rather than something sneaky and trying/hoping to catch the guy doing something wrong 

4 hours ago, pennstate10 said:

Hmm…

Jamarcus was the #1 #1, played in only a handful of games, and was out of the league in 3 yrs. 

And he’s not a bust?

ok

Yeah, you completely missed my point... but since you bring it up, he started 25 games in the league and appeared in 31, over 3 years. Nobody, except Al Davis thought JaMarcus was a first round pick, let alone the best player in the draft that year. 

Josh Rosen, on the other hand, was regarded by many to be one of the 3 or4 best QB prospects in a strong QB draft.  Many "experts" had him as one of the top 3 QB prospects. He has been in the NFL for 5 years, played on six teams, and started a grand total of 16 games in the league.  I wasn't saying JaMarcus Russell was underrated, or even good..or that he wasn't a "bust"... .but to me, he doesn't belong on a "Mt Rushmore" of draft busts. The expectations for him weren't really that high, outside the Raiders organization.

2 hours ago, skibum said:

I don't consider it a bust if it was a bum pick to begin with. Stupid draft selections should be exempt from bust status. 

You have a point but in fairness to Douglas Wilson was a difficult evaluation. You have to like his arm strength and his mobility. And he can be pinpoint accurate if it's his primary read and even more so when the target is stationary. Thing is even in college he was unable consistently to lead his receivers, go through progressions and read a defence. He was typically late with his throws and would frequently put balls up for grabs. All things that we now see more clearly happening in the NFL where needless to say the game speed is a lot faster than in the Sun Belt. So I agree it was a dumb pick especially given that those are the types of weaknesses in a college QB that you are unlikely to be able to coach out of him. Lots of young prospects have died on that hill.

12 hours ago, dpberr said:

IMO, No. 

Guys like Mandarich, Emtman, Bosworth all had far more college accolades and didn't quite get there in the NFL. Then you've  virtually every all world RB out of Penn State from Blair Thomas to Kijana Carter.

Wilson is like Akili Smith, Andre Ware, Tim Couch. One great college year but was way over drafted by a desperate team. 

I tend to give players like Steve Emtman & Ki-Jana Carter a pass because it was injuries that did them in and not their playing ability.

11 hours ago, starrymessenger said:

Tua played at Alabama in the SEC and he was good there. Zach had one good year against poor competition behind a very good offensive line. 
Zach is short. Some QBs can deal with that and still excel. With him it looks like it adds to his difficulty in seeing the field over nfl defensive linemen.. His mechanics are a mess and his accuracy is dreadful. He has no intangibles appeal and is hated by his teammates.

I would not say he has all the skills. The mental component in him is entirely lacking. All he has is a live arm, which is good but probably the last thing you should bet the house on when evaluating a college QB. 
Probably some organization will think they can turn him around but I'd be skeptical. 

I believe that WIlson was still a Junior at Brigham Young, and he should have stayed there for one more year. 

I think he does have good potential still, but it will not be exploited as long as he is with the Jets.

2 hours ago, Mark Vader said:

I believe that WIlson was still a Junior at Brigham Young, and he should have stayed there for one more year. 

I think he does have good potential still, but it will not be exploited as long as he is with the Jets.

The term "uncoachable" comes to mind with Zach Wilson. The Jets offense is relatively easy for QBs, but for some strange reason Wilson refuses to run it. I suspect he could do really well if he went to a team who's offensive philosophy meshed better with how Wilson wants to play football. On the flip side, the Jets coaching staff doesn't want to adjust. They're trying to fit the square peg that is Wilson into the round hole that is their scheme.

• Like (+1) 2

15 hours ago, MJS said:

He just seems completely lost from a mental standpoint. I could see him getting good in a few years if he can stick around as a backup somewhere and learn the game.

Not sure he even makes it as a backup.  His Jets teammates despise him.  Backups need to be good locker room guys.

Guess Zach can take his Wonder bread eating, cougar banging, bad QB act back to Utah and retire early. 

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Buftex said:

Yeah, you completely missed my point... but since you bring it up, he started 25 games in the league and appeared in 31, over 3 years. Nobody, except Al Davis thought JaMarcus was a first round pick, let alone the best player in the draft that year. 

Josh Rosen, on the other hand, was regarded by many to be one of the 3 or4 best QB prospects in a strong QB draft.  Many "experts" had him as one of the top 3 QB prospects. He has been in the NFL for 5 years, played on six teams, and started a grand total of 16 games in the league.  I wasn't saying JaMarcus Russell was underrated, or even good..or that he wasn't a "bust"... .but to me, he doesn't belong on a "Mt Rushmore" of draft busts. The expectations for him weren't really that high, outside the Raiders organization.

Hmm..

I searched 2007 mock draft.  Looked at the first 10 results. All had Russell #1. 

A “bust” is a player who doesn’t fulfill draft expectations. It follows immediately that the players with highest expectations are those drafted highest. 

Therefore, ipso facto, ergo insalatum, Jamarcus Russell was one of the biggest busts in modern nfl history. 

• Like (+1) 1

20 hours ago, Buftex said:

He's just the latest..his career isnt over yet, either.  I would say Josh Rosen is a much more serious contender at this point.  I also wouldn't put JaMarcus on there either. He was vastly overrated, and overdrafted by the Raiders...but most didn't have any huge expectations for him....he was a very green prospect.  Someone like Rosen was pretty universally expected to be an bonafide NFL starter.  Russell was always viewed as a very raw prospect.  Who knows, had he been drafted in the 3rd or 4th round, as many expected, he might have developed into something more.  Team overdrafted him, and put unreasonable expecations on him...he was bound for failure.

Russell is on every Rushmore of Busts, right behind Leaf.

To say he was "overdrafted"--you're only able to make that judgement in hindsight, obviously.  He was universally ranked #1 in mocks at the time.  A gy everyone has going #1 can't, by definition, be overdrafted.

Zach Wilson may have certainly entered the league as "raw" but appears to have the physical skills to become a good NFL QB. His problem is that the intangibles seem to be missing. Josh Allen was considered raw also but possessed very high ceiling physical ability but his intangibles are what made the Bills go all in on him. Josh's off seasons aren't spent laying around on the beach or clubbing with his buds. He works during the Spring and Summer on his craft and is so respected by his teammates that they feed off his leadership. 

The best bet for Zach Wilson is to be traded to Durham where Annie Savoy can supply Nuke2 with the motherly love he seems to need and not only get his eyes in alignment but teach him how to be a pro. 

• Haha (+1) 1

23 hours ago, First Round Bust said:

being an expert on busts, mostly womens, on occasion I do stray into the realm of jock-sniffing, jock-worship and just plain..joucularity:

https://sportsnaut.com/20-biggest-nfl-draft-busts-of-all-time/

take your pick, no Bills on the list...so:

https://clutchpoints.com/5-biggest-nfl-draft-busts-in-buffalo-bills-history

I also add:

70s...Walt Patulski, The Nebraska LB Twins 80s...Booker Moore, Perry Tuttle...2015...Marcel Dareus....

hey it happens to every team....happy holidays everybody !

No wonder the #1 Bills draft bust was Cousineau.  What team drafts a LB & expects him to be a franchise QB? 

After trading away O.J. Simpson to the San Francisco 49ers, the Bills owned the first overall pick in the 1979 draft. The Bills selected Tom Cousineau to be their franchise quarterback but he never played a snap in Buffalo. Not only did he never play a snap, he never even played a snap.

• Haha (+1) 1

On 12/23/2022 at 10:16 AM, Buftex said:

There was a story that, after signing his big contract, Russell walked into the Raiders locker room and said that now he could retire.  Then, he basically did.

5 hours ago, Albany,n.y. said:

No wonder the #1 Bills draft bust was Cousineau.  What team drafts a LB & expects him to be a franchise QB? 

After trading away O.J. Simpson to the San Francisco 49ers, the Bills owned the first overall pick in the 1979 draft. The Bills selected Tom Cousineau to be their franchise quarterback but he never played a snap in Buffalo. Not only did he never play a snap, he never even played a snap.

Not only that, he never played a snap.

• Haha (+1) 1

11 hours ago, Bills Fan in MD said:

On his own, probably not.  But when you combine Wilson (second overall in 2021) and Darnold (third overall in 2018) that's a huge waste of draft capital in a short period of time.

true dat...missing on one is somewhat understandable...maybe...maybe not...but two in the top 3..under two different GMs/coaches ???

On 12/23/2022 at 2:04 PM, mannc said:

Wilson is not the worst bust, by a longshot.  One thing to consider is that there weren't really any franchise QBs left on the board when the Jets picked him.  Justin Fields looks promising, but he's got a long way to go.  Lance looks like a bust and Mac Jones looks like a career backup.  This isn't like the Browns taking Mayfield instead of Allen, or the Bears taking Trubisky (after trading up) instead of Watson or Mahomes.  Also, the Jets didn't trade up for the opportunity to take Wilson.  The Niners traded two number ones to move up to select Lance.  The Jets traded three second round picks to move up to pick Darnold.  The Rams gave up a ton of picks to move up for Goff, etc...And of course, Wilson's career is not over yet.  He'll get another chance, and if he gets his head screwed on straight, he might actually see some success.  

Don’t look now, but this year for Carolina, Sam Darnold has a 104.3 rating, is averaging 8.6 yards per attempt, and has 4/0 TD/INT ratio.

On 12/24/2022 at 5:54 PM, Albany,n.y. said:

Except that Cousineau was a middle linebacker, not a quarterback.  His rights, traded to the Browns for picks including a first rounder, eventually yielded a quarterback named Jim Kelly.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.