Devin Singletary not scoring a TD with 34 seconds left

chongli

Sometimes this place is hilarious. 

When they screw up clock management and Time Outs, this place gets the pitch forks and torches. When they do it right, it’s tar and feathers. 

Singletary did the right thing. Maybe not for the dead beat gamblers, or the armchair Head Coaching staff, but it’s the smart play to win the game. 

• Like (+1) 6
  • Agree 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, WhoTom said:

True, but one reason they were successful in the deep passes was that they were torching us on the ground. This would have been a purely passing situation. Against any QB not named Allen, Mahomes, Rodgers, or Brady, it should be easy to defend against the deep ball.

Or Murray, because…..remember?

• Haha (+1) 1

It was def the right call.  I'm more surprised about two things.  1. Surprised the Dolphins didn't try to let the Bills score intentionally with more time on the clock.  2. I'm really surprised the Dolphins fans didn't try throwing snowballs all game to cost the Bills a penalty.  As soon as they made the potential penalty announcement, that's all I could thing about; phins fans causing a penalty.

27 minutes ago, ArtVandalay said:

Regardless of your thoughts whether he should have scored the TD, it was an absolutely bonehead play to go down short of the first. 

Bonehead play? Hardly.

Bonehead was Josh almost getting no points at the and of the first half by running the clock out. Both plays worked out, but that one was by far the more bonehead.

• Like (+1) 1

To me, this is a case of "After whist".

In the game of Bid Whist, each player bids a certain amount in order to be able to name a trump.

If the person or persons that won the bid is successful, then great, they never doubted the success for a minute.

But, if the hand played, was not successful, now you have to listen to all the excuses of what went wrong.

Hence, the term After Whist.

Personally, I'm glad I didn't have to make that decision not to score, because it could have either way.

7 minutes ago, Bob in STL said:

The first down was irrelevant, we had enough downs and a time out to control the clock, which we did do perfectly.   He probably could not see the marker. 

The issue is do you take the 6 or do you make the snapper snap, the holder hold, and the kicker kick in snowy, slippery conditions.  The last play was not a gimme due to the field and weather conditions.  

Even if they score - they still need the snapper, holder, and kicker to perform for the XP or potentially lose in regulation.

If you can control everything right down to the last play and ensure that either you win or it goes to OT you do that.  It would be different if it was a 45 yard kick or something - then yes - get the yards, but for a chip shot - that was 100% the right call.

If the other team wants you to score a TD so they have a shot to win - then the right call is to go down and eliminate their shot.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 2

2 minutes ago, phypon said:

It was def the right call.  I'm more surprised about two things.  1. Surprised the Dolphins didn't try to let the Bills score intentionally with more time on the clock.  2. I'm really surprised the Dolphins fans didn't try throwing snowballs all game to cost the Bills a penalty.  As soon as they made the potential penalty announcement, that's all I could thing about; phins fans causing a penalty.

2. With like 60K Bills fans around those Dolphins fans I don't think that would have went over to well. 

• Haha (+1) 1

I am just confused why everyone assumes he gets a TD there? Two defensive players were right there and while I love Singletary and think he is a better RB than people give him credit for, when has he shown that he will beat those tackles?

Capture.JPG

Capture.JPG

Edited by What a Tuel

29 minutes ago, billsbackto81 said:

It worked but I thought it was the wrong play. That decision was all about Tyreek Hill taking up real estate in McD's head. This was not Mahomes in Arrowhead in favorable conditions. It's Tua in Buffalo on snow. If you can't stop that from scoring a TD with less than a minute and no timeouts then we'll you're not a championship team. 

Of course it's JMHO, glad it worked out.

I also wondered why he didn't just take it in but stranger things have happened so i'm glad he did what he did . With the kicker we have & the run game taking up the extra time off the clock i think the better decision with a higher instance of hitting a 29 yd FG might be better than giving them extra time .

But McD can't win no matter what he does he will be scolded in some way for his actions or thoughts but he wins and that's all that counts when there's 0's on the clock !! 

4 minutes ago, What a Tuel said:

I am just confused why everyone assumes he gets a TD there? Two defensive players were right there and while I love Singletary and think he is a better RB than people give him credit for, when has he shown that he will beat those tackles?

Capture.JPG

Capture.JPG

In watching the way the Dolphins played it, I think it was a semi-give up and just swipe at the ball.  

I don’t know that those defenders converging would’ve tried to tackle him short .. I think it would’ve been faux-contact with punches at the ball, allowing him to fall in the end zone if he holds onto the ball. 

• Agree 3

Hard to understand why this is even a discussion.

that was absolutely 100% correctly executed. You get down, protect the ball, ensure you are positioned to run the clock the rest of the way down to zero, and make it either a 99% chance of a win or a very slight chance of overtime.  no wind and barely any snow with a vet kicker. 

any other decision is wrong and the first down is inconsequential in that situation  

• Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 2

I trust our FG unit much more than I trust our "don't let them throw deep" defense.  Frankly, I'm amazed anyone feels otherwise.  How can you possibly have watched this defense give up third-and-long over and over again and criticize the offense for not putting the defense back on the field?

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.