OC Dorsey no regard for clock Management

jahbonas

I was shocked when a reporter asked Dorsey about his play calling in the series near the 7 minutes left in the game mark and up 11

In that series we ran it on 1st down with incomplete passes on 2nd and 3rd down saving a critical minute for the Jets

Reporter basically asked didnt he consider running the ball 3x there to run clock and force the Jets into using some timeouts - his response was not a thought at all  - he wanted to keep the offense balanced

We cant have an OC living in a bubble not differentiating between play calling in the first quarter from calling plays in a 4th qtr with a lead  - we will get burned by this

• Like (+1) 4
  • Vomit 1
  • Eyeroll 5
  • Disagree 12
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Dislike 7

13 minutes ago, jahbonas said:

I was shocked when a reporter asked Dorsey about his play calling in the series near the 7 minutes left in the game mark and up 11

In that series we ran it on 1st down with incomplete passes on 2nd and 3rd down saving a critical minute for the Jets

Reporter basically asked didnt he consider running the ball 3x there to run clock and force the Jets into using some timeouts - his response was not a thought at all  - he wanted to keep the offense balanced

We cant have an OC living in a bubble not differentiating between play calling in the first quarter from calling plays in a 4th qtr with a lead  - we will get burned by this

7 minutes left up by 2 scores and you think we should run 3 straight downs?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

So let’s do the most conservative predictable thing ever?  Just what we need a return of the run run run punt offense   I think Dorsey’s point if your goal there is to clock by getting first downs.  Sure they can run run run and burn a fixed amount.  But try to take 5 minutes and get points.  The downside is if you go three and out but it’s worth the risk.  

3 minutes ago, Toyo321 said:

Dorsey is just flat out lacking experience as an OC.  Not enough game experience as OC,  and to much reading off his to do list.

He is just not qualified IMO to be OC.  He never was.

The bills are second in yards, fourth in points and second in 3rd down conversion rate.   In light of those numbers what reasons do you have for your take?  Genuinely curious

If josh takes a snap vs the Vikings and Davis  holds onto a ball in Miami they would be 12-1.    

I get things don’t always go well but do they under Daboll?  Everyone always wanted him fired too.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

It was actually 8:26 left on the clock and that is a lot of time.  You can still throw the ball with high percentage plays that will still keep the clock moving.  Brady perfected using the pass in to burn clock with 5 min left.  You just need to be smart with the calls.  I'm pretty sure the second down was a Singletary drop.  I think he was an outlet and not the primary target on that play but I may be wrong. The third down play should have been a safe underneath pass that might be able to pick up the first down.  Worst case scenario you burn 40 more seconds on the clock.  

15 minutes ago, Toyo321 said:

Dorsey is just flat out lacking experience as an OC.  Not enough game experience as OC,  and to much reading off his to do list.

13 games is too small a sample size to proclaim anything about Dorsey.  However, the offensive numbers put up by the Bills this year would support the argument that he's doing a pretty good job.

• Like (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, Toyo321 said:

Good grief.

2 hours ago, jahbonas said:

his goal there needs to be first downs and not simply 3 runs 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.