Orlovsky: Bills aren't as talented offensively as we thought

Billz4ever

17 minutes ago, DapperCam said:

He’s being overly conservative, but we’re winning games because he isn’t turning it over. That might be the best course of action considering our lack of playmakers.

Yep, I think the last Jets game where his bad picks directly cost us the game stuck with him, and he simply wasnt going to allow that to happen again.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Billz4ever said:

Which is exactly what boggles the mind that we didn't have the same game plan for this game considering the weather and the Jets playing a D susceptible to runs between the tackles.

Cook gets 20 touches for 105 yards 11 days ago. 

This game, he touches the ball 5-times?

🤷‍♂️ 

The best teams are going to have multiple grind-it-out wins during the course of a season. Yesterday was one of them. Jets aren't great, but they're solid/plucky and they play extremely hard. A huge credit to Saleh and his coaching staff. Also, the weather had a lot to do with it. These players are still getting used to playing in crappy conditions. It's not easy - most of them grew up in the south.

That being said, there's plenty to criticize. Outside of Diggs, the receivers are really lacking. The OLine has had their struggles. I wish we could invest in the OLine and make it the best in the league like the Eagles but for whatever reason McDermott/Beane have not really been too dedicated to make that happen.

And yet, I'm hopeful that they can improve over the next five weeks and head into the playoffs playing their best football. I really do. 

It would be one thing if they're beating the Jets at home by a single score while playing their absolute best. I don't believe that is the case. They're going to get it going at some point, and I'm optimistic that it's going to happen when it really matters: the playoffs.

3 hours ago, Billz4ever said:

I don't like admitting it, but he makes fair points.  We are in 3rd and long far too often.  The O-line is not doing a great job and much of our offense is Josh creating on the fly, not executing the plays as designed because he either doesn't have time, or isn't finding an open receiver.

Outside of Josh and Diggs who has any confidence in anyone else in this offense?  

I'd say Motor, but he needs the blocking to be there and for the most part, it's not.

http://www.espn.com/video/clip?id=35237773

I think Ryan Clark was more on point.  WNY is going to be sloppy wins going forward, especially with home field throughout. 

8 minutes ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

Cook gets 20 touches for 105 yards 11 days ago. 

This game, he touches the ball 5-times?

🤷‍♂️ 

And if memory serves me correctly, most of those attempts were outside, which plays into the strength of the defense.

3 hours ago, BuffaloRebound said:

It’s clear when you watch other NFL teams. Seemingly every NFL team has multiple skill players that can make contested catches and break arm tackles.  

Our RB’s are replacement level and don’t break any arm tackles.  The book seems to be out on how to defend Gabe.  McKenzie is too unreliable to be anything other than a gadget player. 

And most disappointing of all because he’s paid to be an upper echelon guy is Knox.  Sorry but good hands should be a pre-requisite for a guy who’s paid to catch the football.  

A benefit of being a good team this year has resulted in a lot of prime time games, so I get to watch more games from other teams.  Its funny yiu say this, because the more I watch the more I find myself thinking more often than not, is I woukd take that teams wrs over ours, or rbs.  As fans we are really biased on our skills units.  Our skills unit is almost non existent outside of Diggs

Edited by Gunsgoodtime

1 hour ago, RichRiderBills said:

Bet Beasley would com in for cheap. I don't get why we don't bring him in. I hope it's not about pride or ego. 

Not sure if he was ever released by TB though. Edit: looks like he was released/ PS contract terminated. He's an UFA.

Beasley is washed. You could see it last year, where he had zero YAC ability.

Coaches need to get over their rookie trust issues and get Shakir in the slot.

3 hours ago, somnus00 said:

Dorsey seems to be on tilt. The offense is struggling to find a rhythm, and instead of taking the easy first downs, he calls a 5 step drop on 3rd and 2 yesterday. 7 step drops on 3rd and 9.

Let's get into a rhythm first before taking those shots. Earlier in the season, Dorsey seemed to have a better feel for the game and how to set up plays. These last few weeks he seems like he's pulling plays out of a hat.

Hard to get in rhythm when your wrs drop multiple 1st down catches thrown perfectly.  Our Wrs suck bad outside of Diggs.  

Edited by Gunsgoodtime

1 hour ago, Mark Vader said:

That was not a drop. Knox had the ball in his hands and the defender was able to knock the ball out of his hands. That was good defense.

A lot of people are making it sound like Knox has regressed back to his rookie year, which is false. Yes, all fans see are the big contract he signed and therefore he should be an All-World player.

I understand that argument, however Knox has been used a lot more as a blocking Tight End than as a receiver. 

We have issues on offense, Knox is not one of them.

I would say it was a bad pass that allowed the defender to make a play.  The play was there.  This game was frustrating because there were a few plays where it seemed like a catch should have occurred but it got knocked away.  Its hard to say what should have happened, we see guys make contested catches where they hold on regardless of the defender swiping at it.

49 minutes ago, Mango said:

This is a thing that people keen parroting but is 100% false. It is driving me nuts because it is just so not true…like even a little.

Knox is 6th among tight ends in for total routes run, and 11th for total snaps in the slot. He’s also 11th for % of snaps/routes run at 75.8%.  Considering he missed a week with a foot injury then played through a bad hamstring, that’s pretty high in relation to his peers. 

There’s a number of reasons Knox might not be performing, but being a blocker v. route runner isn’t one of them at scale. 

https://www.playerprofiler.com/nfl/dawson-knox/

He also isn't dropping passes en masse as some people here would have you believe.

I believe the numbers you have provided. Now if Knox is 6th among tight ends in total routes run, how often has he been targeted?

Edited by Mark Vader
  • Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Mark Vader said:

He also isn't dropping passes en masse as some people here would have you believe.

I believe the numbers you have provided. Now if Knox is 6th among tight ends, how often has he been targeted?

This is the heart of the issue, and was even under Daboll. Our offense just seems to have no interest in targeting a big time TE early or often. Knox's contract is sort of similar to us continuing to draft, sign, and trade for receiving RB's that we never utilize. I have been going through the All-22 weekly and Knox is out there and open quite a bit, but we never seem to toss him the ball. So why pay a TE top 5 money if you aren't going to utilize him? 

His redzone targets are amongst the lowest for TE in the league. 

I think a huge problem with our offense sputtering is that we just don't spread the ball out enough. We are quick to defend our all-pro and stud QB, but it is a thin line between needing to put the team on your back and doing too much by yourself. There are a million things that go into executing a single play. I am certainly not forgiving drops or the OL. But Josh needs to see the whole field and take the easy money where he can.

• Like (+1) 2

I'm not saying our offense is playing great right now, but people complaining this much about the offense after a horrible weather game against a top-5 defense seems a bit of an overreaction.

As I said in the gameday thread, only 2 teams in the Jets last 10 games scored more than the 20 points the Bills did against them yesterday: New England in week 8 (22 points) and Minnesota last week (27 pts). The Jets defense is for real folks. They entered yesterday's game 3rd in yards against, 4th in sacks, 5th in pts per game, and 2nd in QBR against. And the week before was the Pats. The Pats are currently 2nd in yards against and 3rd in pts against, and 5th in sacks. It does actually matter who you are playing against. We just played two top 5 defenses in a row and won by a combined 44-22.

In that weather, against that Jets defense, with the miscues that Josh had in the losses, and being pretty confident that our defense could control the Jets offense, we played conservatively. Let's face it, with that weather, the team that won the turnover battle was probably going to win the game...and that held true. There was no need to try and get overly aggressive or overly creative in that type of game.

No question, the receivers need to hang on to the ball better, Josh needs to take more check downs and clean up some of his throws, would love to see the run game become more of a factor, etc. But, maybe they realized that if we just play mistake-free football (i.e., no turnovers), we should be able to beat most teams and get that first seed. Then ramp up the aggressiveness against the better teams in the playoffs, etc.

It may not be pretty, but it is working. We are on a four-game win streak. Who cares what our stats are or if Josh wins the MVP, etc. This is all about positioning ourselves best for the playoffs. Maybe against Miami and Cinci we will see a more aggressive offense, since I'm sure we won't be able to totally shut them down...but the hand-wringing for a 10-3 team, on a 4-game win streak, sitting in first place for the division and conference seems a bit odd to me.

• Thank you (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Matt_In_NH said:

I would say it was a bad pass that allowed the defender to make a play.  The play was there.  This game was frustrating because there were a few plays where it seemed like a catch should have occurred but it got knocked away.  Its hard to say what should have happened, we see guys make contested catches where they hold on regardless of the defender swiping at it.

We've also seen players get the ball knocked out of their hands even when it looks like they have made a catch. Not abnormal.

As for the play itself, it was a good call, but it just didn't work out.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.