Just Gonna Say It: Von Miller was very good, but not great this year.

ChicagoRic

1 hour ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

Von was playing at a high level but the real issue is the drop off from Von to Epenesa is astounding.  Hughes was capable but Epenesa is horrible. Hope he proves me wrong with this short stretch to start and play significant meaningful snaps.

With Von done this will probably be Epenesa's final chance to prove he's a legit pass rusher. No more rotational fill in guy. No more rushing way to deep beyond the qb. No more missed tackles. 

• Like (+1) 1

Not sure if anyone touched on this yet, but the guy was on pace for the highest single season sack number for the Bills since 2016.   He had the highest number of sacks for an edge rusher since McDermott took over in just 11 games. 

Say what you want.  But for whatever reason, in a defensive scheme that seems to produce low sack numbers, especially for edge rushers, the guy was worth every penny they paid him.    Please stop comparing sack numbers of players in different defenses, unless they come here and play you are comparing apples to oranges.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

What worries me most about Frazier is his (in)ability to change up defensive schemes. His go to and preferred defense is a nickel cover 2 look. He hardly ever comes out of that defense, even when the Bills get gashed for runs, they’re still running 5 DBs out on the field. His defense works very well when the front 4 can get pressure (which defense doesn’t?) but not so well if they can’t.

With Von being out, I don’t see any other playmakers on D besides maybe Ed Oliver and occasionally Rousseau being able to step up and make a big play when it’s needed. Neither player is Von Miller caliber and if the defense has to blitz more to create pressure (which they will), that isn’t Frazier’s specialty, so the blitz packages will prolly suck and get picked up rather easily. It’s too late for an aggressive DC who knows how to disguise his blitzes very well. Chiefs fans b*tch and moan about Spags, but I’d prefer his style to Frazier if we don’t have at least one pass rushing demon.

The defense without Von was a paper Tiger, always wilted against top offenses, so technically nothing changes. It was always going to come down to how far the offense carries them and we’re going to find out shortly if Josh and the rest of the guys are up to the task.

3 minutes ago, JayBaller10 said:

What worries me most about Frazier is his (in)ability to change up defensive schemes. His go to and preferred defense is a nickel cover 2 look. He hardly ever comes out of that defense, even when the Bills get gashed for runs, they’re still running 5 DBs out on the field. His defense works very well when the front 4 can get pressure (which defense doesn’t?) but not so well if they can’t.

With Von being out, I don’t see any other playmakers on D besides maybe Ed Oliver and occasionally Rousseau being able to step up and make a big play when it’s needed. Neither player is Von Miller caliber and if the defense has to blitz more to create pressure (which they will), that isn’t Frazier’s specialty, so the blitz packages will prolly suck and get picked up rather easily. It’s too late for an aggressive DC who knows how to disguise his blitzes very well. Chiefs fans b*tch and moan about Spags, but I’d prefer his style to Frazier if we don’t have at least one pass rushing demon.

The defense without Von was a paper Tiger, always wilted against top offenses, so technically nothing changes. It was always going to come down to how far the offense carries them and we’re going to find out shortly if Josh and the rest of the guys are up to the task.

the Miami game next Saturday will be a good measuring stick.

Well, first I guess we will see what other injury fun comes our way on the defensive side of the ball in the next 7-8 days.

1 hour ago, JayBaller10 said:

So Burrow was like 6 of 7 for over 100 yards and a TD against the Chiefs blitz last weekend.  Allen destroys teams when they blitz.  

You may like looking at blitzes but against even decent QBs you are more likely to get burned.  Hate it all you want but dropping 7 or 8 in coverage and rushing 4 or even three is the right recipe to stop potent offenses. I presume you like watching winning more than you do watching blitzes and losses.

Against run heavy teams I can see using a 4-3 some of the time.  But even teams that run a lot, still run from a 3 WR set frequently.  Nobody except maybe Belichick is going to stay in a 4-3 against a 3 WR set.  Most teams just like the Bills are in nickel the vast majority of the game.  It's just how it is now.  You need to just accept it.  

That said, I agree the D has always been a paper tiger padding their stats on the terrible QBs they have faced the last two years.  

If they want to beat the Chiefs or the Bengals in the playoffs the Bills are going to need to score 40.  

Lastly the great equalizer is turnovers. When Josh plays clean, the Bills are nearly unstoppable.  Josh has been better lately but he has been really careless with the ball this year.  Even last week there was a possible pick 6 the Pats LB dropped right before the half.  Bills are tied for 17th in turnover ratio at an even Zero (20 takeaways/20 giveaways).  The good news is they are 4th in takeaways.  So they can produce the turnovers when needed. Sadly they are 3rd in giveaways with 11 INT (5th highest) and 9 fumbles(3rd highest).  If they can play clean this team is good enough to win the SB! 

PS Eagles are +13 in turnover ratio with a QB that has only thrown 3 INT, but on this board he is no good.

Edited by Ethan in Cleveland

4 hours ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

Von was playing at a high level but the real issue is the drop off from Von to Epenesa is astounding.  Hughes was capable but Epenesa is horrible. Hope he proves me wrong with this short stretch to start and play significant meaningful snaps.

Expect to see more Shaq than epenesa imo.  

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, JayBaller10 said:

Milano?  Poyer?  edmunds?  Tre’Davious?  Taron?

and yes, Rousseau and Oliver.  

To me, the key is Rousseau taking the next step.  He was good last year and has been dominant at times this year.  He looked great vs the pats after coming back from a high ankle sprain.  

He is better than Jerry was last year.  Our DTs are much better than last year.  Edmunds is much better than last year.  Milano was good, but now he’s the best in the business.  Poyer is doing Poyer things. Tredavious is back after a year.  Losing Hyde is big, but when comparing this years d to last users D, I think this years is better. Even without Von.  

Our O just has to continue to develop and hit stride come the playoffs like last year.  

• Like (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, TampaBillsJunkie said:

Milano! The boy can flat out play and comes up big. #2 Taron Johnson. #3 Poyer.  

Sorry, I meant on the DL in terms of sacks. Those 3 you mentioned and also Tre White of yesteryear have proven more than capable of coming up with a big play on the backend when needed. 

1 hour ago, JayBaller10 said:

Sorry, I meant on the DL in terms of sacks. Those 3 you mentioned and also Tre White of yesteryear have proven more than capable of coming up with a big play on the backend when needed. 

In that case, we're screwed. I hope not, but Miller is a huge loss. He was the player that put this D over the top. We will not match that production. It's up to the offense to turn it on so they can't catch up.

21 hours ago, ChicagoRic said:

Yes, the cap hit will suck, but it's not like the Bills lost Nick Bosa or Matthew Judon.

He was playing at a Jerry Hughes level.  A great player, but on the downward slope of his career. 

This is survivable and I don't think it hurts the Bills Superbowl chances much if at all.

Now excuse me while I pull my on flame resistant suit. 

Yeah, this is nonsense.

It will absolutely hurt. And Jerry Hughes? I snorted involuntarily as I read that. Hughes is very good. Miller is still playing great.

21 hours ago, Rico said:

He made great plays against the Chiefs, and that's good enough for me. Damn shame he got hurt against the Lions, I know we needed him with all the injuries but that's a game I would've preferred to see him sit.

He really seemed to come up with the clutch sack. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.