Just Gonna Say It: Von Miller was very good, but not great this year.

ChicagoRic

I'm curious to see how the other guys step up. Groot could be a true force, and has shown flashes of that. I like how Lawson has been playing. Even Epenesa has had some of his best rushes this year.

Gonna need them all to elevate their games to make up for Von's loss.  I think we'll still be able to get a lot of pressure on opposing QB's.

• Agree 1

@ChicagoRic

Are you going to acknowledge any of these posts?

You start this thread and then disappear. When you write something this provocative, at least have the decency to see what others post in response and respond to their rebuttals.

Otherwise, call this a LAMP thread.

Edited by Mark Vader
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Sharky7337 said:

Could kept Jerry Hughes for peanuts on comparison and gotten the same production.

They are tied in sacks.

Von made plays that Jerry didn’t make. Getting sacks or pressure at key moments. We didn’t get that as much from Jerry.  Comparing numbers alone doesn’t work, Von had a bigger impact than Jerry did any of the last few years. 

• Agree 1

41 minutes ago, Mark Vader said:

@ChicagoRic

Are you going to acknowledge any of these posts?

You start this thread and then disappear. When you write something this provocative, at least have the decency to see what others post in response and respond to their rebuttals.

Otherwise, call this a LAMP thread.

There should probably be a rule that the thread locks if the OP doesn't respond within 48 hours

We can call it the Brick Tamland rule

paul rudd anchorman GIF

• Haha (+1) 1

Okay. Acknowledged. Sorry, but I'm not a super frequent poster, especially when you consider i go all the way back to the Rochester D&C days.

Thanks to all of the posters who responded with actual opinions and did not resort to personal attacks.

While i respect the opinions of those that think Von Miller has been "Great", I'm sticking with my "Very Good".  He's had a few big splash plays and garnered lots and lots of attention from the talking heads on TV, but on balance is not an elite, top tier guy anymore. Kudos to whoever pointed out the blown plays that somewhat offset the splash plays. Somebody in this thread compared him to Bruce Smith. Just no. 

Another theory that drives me nuts is "well, you're not seeing the whole picture because he was saving himself for the postseason."  Sorry, but this is not a thing, because, guess what? Injuries happen. The NFL is a give it your all or sit on the bench league. 

Given his age and injury history,  this was always going to be a risky, moonshot type of signing and it didn't pan out this year. 

Finally, how about a little credit to the other improvements made across the defensive line? The emergence of Rousseau and Oliver and all of that added beef up the middle (I'm looking at you Lawson, Settle, Phillps, Jones) that no doubt helped Miller be Miller.  It's a two way street. I contend that if you plug a Jerry Hughes type of player into the same situation and he'd be having a "very good" year as well. 

2 minutes ago, ChicagoRic said:

Okay. Acknowledged. Sorry, but I'm not a super frequent poster, especially when you consider i go all the way back to the Rochester D&C days.

Thanks to all of the posters who responded with actual opinions and did not resort to personal attacks.

While i respect the opinions of those that think Von Miller has been "Great", I'm sticking with my "Very Good".  He's had a few big splash plays and garnered lots and lots of attention from the talking heads on TV, but on balance is not an elite, top tier guy anymore. Kudos to whoever pointed out the blown plays that somewhat offset the splash plays. Somebody in this thread compared him to Bruce Smith. Just no. 

Another theory that drives me nuts is "well, you're not seeing the whole picture because he was saving himself for the postseason."  Sorry, but this is not a thing, because, guess what? Injuries happen. The NFL is a give it your all or sit on the bench league. 

Given his age and injury history,  this was always going to be a risky, moonshot type of signing and it didn't pan out this year. 

Finally, how about a little credit to the other improvements made across the defensive line? The emergence of Rousseau and Oliver and all of that added beef up the middle (I'm looking at you Lawson, Settle, Phillps, Jones) that no doubt helped Miller be Miller.  It's a two way street. I contend that if you plug a Jerry Hughes type of player into the same situation and he'd be having a "very good" year as well. 

Maybe you needed to adjust your expectations? No one thought Miller was the best in the league still. It was even speculated that he would be on a "pitch count" and only come in to close out games. Everyone knew coming in that he's on the backside of his career. "Very good" with an emphasis on sacking the best QBs was the expectation.

Other players have given credit to Miller for bringing Rousseau and Oliver along, as well as the other pass rushers, so that's been an added benefit, plus his overall locker room leadership. The guy has won championships and knows what it takes. That's something a guy like Jerry Hughes does not bring.

• Like (+1) 1

I'm gutted about Von's injury tbh. I think he's been fantastic. I've loved watching him play. 

But I suspect he's still going to bring value to the team even off the field. He's that kind of player. He knows what it takes to win the big games and that knowledge alone will be useful you'd expect. 

On 12/7/2022 at 10:35 PM, KzooMike said:

Von was never meant for the regular season. He can and will turn it on as he see's fit. He's smart like that because he still has enough in the tank to dominate any play, but he can't do it for a whole game. One thing I can say for sure is if it's 4th down and we are in the Super Bowl and we need one stop to win it, he's the most important player on the team in that moment. 

We could've used that vs the Vikings on 4th and 18 but he did close it out vs the KC this year

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.