Allen's final throw, bad decision or bad pass?

TwistofFate

Interesting angle. It’s not a bad decision after all but a poor throw. I can cut him some slack due to the elbow thing. Maybe he shouldn’t have attempted it with the sore elbow but on the other hand there’s hardly much time to ponder in such a situation. He saw a receiver and instinctively made a throw that usually hits home. 

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Davis has to run the pattern that was called.

How do we know he did? Bad throw or miscommunication, we really have no clue. We know Allen will take blame regardless because that’s who he is. Fact is these miscommunications between Allen and Davis have popped up at time between these two. You hardly see it out of Allen and Diggs though. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, TwistofFate said:

Found this on Twitter today, it's the final throw of the game from Allen's perspective.  

The decision looked good, the pass looked late and off target. 

For most QBs that's a bad decision. But I understand why with Allen's arm he's confident he can get it there.

But it has to be an absolutely beautiful throw.

But there's a guy on a shorter throw who's much more open, right down the center of the field. I wish he'd taken that one instead. But I agree, not a bad decision, just a bad throw. IMO that shorter route would have been a better decision.

Allen isn't quite right just now. Dunno what they can do. 

Thanks for posting it, OP.

34 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Davis has to run the pattern that was called.

Yeah, this.

It had to be thrown early. This isn't one of those routes where Allen can wait and see which way the guy goes. The receiver has to run where they tell him Josh is going to throw it. Allen was throwing it pretty much as Davis made the cut.

Edited by Thurman#1

Found this on Twitter today, it's the final throw of the game from Allen's perspective.  

Actually, to me it looks like #54 read the play perfectly and settled into the passing window. 

JA notices and double clutches. You can see #54 jumping, assuming JA was going to throw into the 1st window. The throw goes right behind him, but the DB had the inside angle. 

To me, this was a telegraphed play by the Bills that the Vikes were expecting and ready for. They knew this pass was coming. 

IMO the play call was the problem and not going to the 2nd/3rd reads sealed the deal. 

Edited by DaggersEOD
Autocorrect 😩
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 8

Looks more and more like a miscommunication to me. Actually not a bad throw at all if Davis cuts in and boxes the defender out. 

33 minutes ago, CSBill said:

I say both, he had Morris inside the 10, and a better throw gives Davis a chance--or, it has been suggested that he was expecting Davis to cut in, but Peterson was there, I don't see that getting completed.

Ugh!

Agree on both. Peterson had position even if Davis would have flattened the route or tried to come back. The throw had to be high and left so only Davis had a chance. No reason to place it where he did. The correct read was Morris who was wide open. @Reed83HOF mentioned Josh focusing on the two receivers he trusts in crunch time. It makes sense that he only looked for Diggs and Davis and tried to force it to one of them.

• Agree 2

7 minutes ago, DaggersEOD said:

Actually, to me it looks like #54 read the play perfectly and settled into the passing window. 

JA notices and double clutches. You can see #54 jumping, assuming JA was going to throw into the 1st window. The throw goes right behind him, but the DB had the inside angle. 

To me, this was a telegraphed play by the Bills that the Vikes were expecting and ready for. They knew this pass was coming. 

IMO the play call was the problem and not going to the 2nd/3rd reads sealed the deal. 

I politely disagree. Even as Allen gets ready to throw, he can see that Davis comes underneath and in that case the DB's move will always be to cut underneath. If you throw this you have to make it high and to the left.

Two guys open on the play. It wasn't the call.

• Like (+1) 4

3 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

Agree on both. Peterson had position even if Davis would have flattened the route or tried to come back. The throw had to be high and left so only Davis had a chance. No reason to place it where he did. The correct read was Morris who was wide open. @Reed83HOF mentioned Josh focusing on the two receivers he trusts in crunch time. It makes sense that he only looked for Diggs and Davis and tried to force it to one of them.

This. To the extent there was a "makeable" throw to Davis it was a tough, low percentage play. He obviously threw it badly, who knows how much that was the injury or just a plain miss, but in the first place having gone for the endzone on 1st down (a makeable play for Knox) I think the decision to try and force a low percentage play to Davis on 2nd down when Morris for at least another first down was open was the wrong decision. And I agree totally with you and @Reed83HOF about why he went there. Finally, to cut Josh some slack I wasn't mad on the play design where everyone is running towards the endzone. If they run someone to the middle of the field just past the 1st down marker they would have been wide open based on the coverage the Vikes were showing. 

Josh is frustrated with himself and forcing stuff. He needs to clear his head and get back to what he was doing early in the year, taking the underneath stuff and softening the defense up before hitting them down the field. And Ken Dorsey needs to help him with a better plan, more creativity and misdirection and better playcalling. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 3

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.