Adding a RB

Stokes84

On 10/21/2022 at 9:21 AM, Stokes84 said:

Now that McCaffrey is off the market, I think it’s time to get serious about adding a RB.  A lot of people think it’s about replacing or upgrading Singletary, but to me, it’s about making sure we have the horses to win a game like we lost vs. New England last year. If we lose in the playoffs because the wind is gusting 50 mph in January and we can’t pass the ball, we are going to be kicking ourselves for not bolstering this position.  

A couple of options that might be worth exploring:

Antonio Gibson

David Montgomery

James Robinson

I think each could be available for a mid-round pick, and imo it would be totally worth it.

why do you think these players are available for a mid round pick ?   

whose your source ? 

On 10/21/2022 at 6:21 AM, Stokes84 said:

Now that McCaffrey is off the market, I think it’s time to get serious about adding a RB.  A lot of people think it’s about replacing or upgrading Singletary, but to me, it’s about making sure we have the horses to win a game like we lost vs. New England last year. If we lose in the playoffs because the wind is gusting 50 mph in January and we can’t pass the ball, we are going to be kicking ourselves for not bolstering this position.  

A couple of options that might be worth exploring:

Antonio Gibson

David Montgomery

James Robinson

I think each could be available for a mid-round pick, and imo it would be totally worth it.

I wouldn't mind adding an RB and not to replace Singletary but like you said if it's a snow bowl in the playoffs it wouldn't be the worst idea to have a bruiser to pair with Singletary. A big boy running down hill when it's 5 degrees in the 4th quarter would be nice.

6 hours ago, newcam2012 said:

I think the Bills oline is much better pass protecting. The stats bare this out. This oline often struggles with openIng up holes especially in short yard and goal line situations. The Bills strength is passing the ball. Like I said earlier, show me a team that is elite both passing and running. It's just a rare combination. I think the Bills don't need to be a great running team. Just serviceable and respectful to keep defenses honest. Refer to the KC team. Singletary ran well. Sure much of it was due to the defensive scheme. Nevertheless, it was a positive running performance by the Bills. I don't think the running game will be the strength of this offense for a long time. This is Allen's team and that big arm and timely runs are becoming commonplace. Boy are we getting applied!

Fast forward to the playoffs. This is where a more effective run game becomes more critical. Teams are better and it becomes more difficult for Allen. The Bills need to be a little more balanced and keep defenses honest. However, Allen can absolutely carry this team and the pass game is elite and explosive.

In summary, I think the Singletary is pretty good. I don't think we need an upgrade there. Moss is just not good. Cook is the wild card sort of speak. Hope he can develop and be a weapon come playoff time. This far, he has disappointed. Wondering if some point Duke Johnson gets a shot. Kind of hate that Blackshear got snatched from the Bills. 

I agree.  Just need a respectable running game. An elite back is not what this team needs to get there.  What they need is better run blocking.  No name back across the league do well because their line allows them to do well, not because they are better than Singletary or Cook.  Moss I hope never sees the field again.  He just isnt that good. Although even he could do ok if the line blocked better. He isnt a break even one tackle guy really. Cook I think will be good but its too early to say with so little work.

I would add that this line is pretty good at pass blocking but it has its moments of utter whiffs as well.  They need to be better on those whiffs.

Edited by Scott7975
  • Agree 1

On 10/21/2022 at 9:25 AM, Stokes84 said:

And if you run Singletary into the ground you are still screwed, because he’s the only competent RB on the roster.

It’s like you didn’t read my post at all.

You make a valid and important point.  It’s happened once so it could happen again. Motor is adequate, above average , but look at backs or teams who can covert short yardage or in the red zone. We could use a hall or walker type back who can get yardage o. Their own ( like Josh ) , and motor has proven he is not strong against heavy boxes.   It’s our only obvious weakness and if we have hoe field in Jan / feb , it’s reasonable to expect passing might be a challenge. Plus , if we do have a lead , milking the clock is hard to do passing the ball. I don’t think it’s the line play , watching other games some teams have backs with a knack for shir yardage gains against stacked boxes or they have that gear to take it to the house. Maybe Cook can be the guy.  I hope so , but your point is valid and on the edge of a SB run , zi hope we have done all we can do and our run game isn’t our Achilles heel. 

10 hours ago, pigpen65 said:

It's a shame Moss hasn't improved at all. Had Blackshear survived on the practice squad I think he would have been promoted to active roster a couple weeks ago 

Blackshear had 2 carries for negative 5 yards today. I don't like to get carried away and start to compare players, but those are Reggie Bush type numbers.

11 hours ago, Solomon Grundy said:

The analyst laid out his position. I’m just the guy dreaming.

E0A258A9-312B-4D6A-8603-1EE294063A66.gif.0dbbc32e1e10ae3a2b048941d3556a9e.gif

You mean this when they were 4-1?

It would be difficult for the 4-1 Giants to trade Barkley, who has rushed for 533 yards as the focal point of their offense this season.

Now at 6-1, I would suggest the fans would burn down the stadium if they trade him...

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.