Tipped Balls are becoming an issue-thoughts as to why??

Big Turk

Allen seems to be having a lot of tipped balls this year from watching the games and looking at the numbers it's significantly more than last year.

He is tied for the league lead with 12 batted balls with Mayfield who has to field questions as to why he was having so many. Granted Allen has 80+ more attempts but still, compared to last year even, it's significantly more.

Herbert led the NFL with 17 last season, Allen had the second most at 16. Currently he is on pace to have 34 which would be an outrageous number.

So I am wondering if there is something that is causing this that anyone has noticed? Is it him getting rid of the balls quicker? The shorter throws he is making more regularly? Bad luck? DLinemen stopping a rush to try and bat the ball down more?

Curious as to if Allen, Dorsey or McD will start getting asked about this if the media notices...

I can't find anything concrete on this but it appears Allen may be on pace to set a new batted balls record.  I read an article from late October of 2018 that talked about how Cousins was on pace for 32 that year with the previous record being 23 in 2006. I don't have any final tally on Cousins for that year.

Can't find the final numbers for 2018, but 2019-2021, the highest is Baker with 20 in 2019. 

Allen's numbers:

2019: 10

2020: 4

2021: 16

2022: 12(thru 6 games)

Edited by Big Turk

I believe it's because defenses are trying to take away the deep passes and force Allen to throw short more often. They are probably also coached to maintain their gaps and get hands up rather than pin their ears back and chase him out of the pocket which would also give him more time and more room to throw or a chance to scramble for a long run.

Edited by MPT
  • Like (+1) 7
  • Agree 4

2 minutes ago, MPT said:

I believe it's because defenses are trying to take away the deep passes and force Allen to throw short more often. They are probably also coached to maintain their gaps and get hands up rather than pin their ears back and chase him out of the pocket which would also give him more time and more room to throw or a chance to scramble for a long run.

I was gonna type something similar but yours sounds much better lol 

• Like (+1) 4

I've always been of two minds on this issue: 1. it's super ***** annoying when your QB consistently gets balls batted and risks INTs; 2. it's a pretty a good sign that our QB isn't feeling the rush enough to worry about anything but placing the ball in a spot that the receiver will catch it. It'd be nice to have 2. without 1. but if this is all we have left to pick on Josh, we're pretty damn spoiled.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, MPT said:

This. Longer balls are thrown higher and he's throwing shorter even more often this year, so it's easier for them to reach it.

Defenses seeing that have to teach their DLs that if he throws quick there's only one way to affect the pass since you can't reach him. It's more of the chess match between D and O, I think.

In turn, we're seeing Allen do more sidearm and arm-angled throws to make it harder on them.

Edited by Thurman#1

11 minutes ago, VW82 said:

I've always been of two minds on this issue: 1. it's super ***** annoying when your QB consistently gets balls batted and risks INTs; 2. it's a pretty a good sign that our QB isn't feeling the rush enough to worry about anything but placing the ball in a spot that the receiver will catch it. It'd be nice to have 2. without 1. but if this is all we have left to pick on Josh, we're pretty damn spoiled.  

I mean for the most part I agree, until it happens in a situation like it did with Rodgers against the Giants on 4th and goal from the 2 yard line needing a TD to win late in the 4th and the ball gets batted. And then people are going to ask "Why is Allen having so many tipped balls?"

17 minutes ago, VW82 said:

"That's gold Jerry!"

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

This. Longer balls are thrown higher and he's throwing shorter even more often this year, so it's easier for them to reach it.

Defenses seeing that have to teach their DLs that if he throws quick there's only one way to affect the pass since you can't reach him. It's more of the chess match between D and O, I think.

In turn, we're seeing Allen do more oddly angled throws to make it harder on them.

allen is not uniquely throwing short routes at a clip that would explain 100% more than the league leader last year and an nfl record I believe.

either there’s some dumb luck (likely some), a blocking technique issue (likely something here too), an issue with the throwers technique (maybe but he has history of it not being an issue) or possibly something with the pairing of the route trees paired with blocking schemes (are we possibly running wrs into zones that pair with pass rushers likely being in the way)

Edited by NoSaint

Probably more of a sign of both Allen throwing more quickly and throwing from the pocket.

Earlier in his career Allen held the ball longer, almost always took off or rolled away from the pocket as he often had protection breakdowns. Finding throwing lanes was not an issue when rolling away from traffic.

Not super concerned, as Allen has shown he adapts and works on anything he thinks will improve his game. He will adjust to throwing from different arm angles around defenders or will find the lanes to avoid those hands when in the pocket.

Edited by WideNine
  • Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.