FiOS NOT carrying CBS?? Therefore NO Bills Game Broadcast!!!

Never NEVER Give-up

4 hours ago, Playoffs? said:

What am I missing?  Is this regional?  I don’t live in Buffalo. I have Fios, and I see CBS and the Bills game showing on my guide for tomorrow.

It's different stations and networks depending on which stations are owned by Nexstar in your area.  

10 hours ago, Milano said:

Cannot believe people still pay for cable.

Get some decent internet and a Super Box for $300 one time cost, and watch every NFL, MLB, NBA NHL, game, anything that is out there, any sport, movie, doc, HBO anything and everything live. Been doing it for years. 

I've seen a lot of firesticks offering this but then they're 20/mth and then another 10/mth for every added line.

Might msg you

4 hours ago, BuffaloBill said:

Can’t you pull the local affiliate the old fashioned way, with an antenna?

It really depends on your location.  If you are close enough to where the station transmits from it's easy, but if you are located in one of the areas further away than most viewers or live in a location that is not conducive to receiving the station, it's not that easy.  

I live pretty close to Albany and even in my house when I program in stations it depends on the room & the positioning of the antenna whether I'll get the station or not.  

5 hours ago, BuffaloBill said:

Can’t you pull the local affiliate the old fashioned way, with an antenna?

Yes, and don’t break the bank.  A basic “hdtv” antenna will do a fine job, and great picture to boot.

I like watching the game over the air and another TV playing Redzone.

Edit.  The internet has plans to make your own HDTV antenna.  Did it and found my basic antenna does the same job.

make your own

“Leaf” type antenna

Not recommending that particular leaf antenna, have a similar that works great.

Edited by davefan66

21 hours ago, Let's Go Buffalo said:

There are some decent cable tv antennas at a reasonable price....Just pay attention to the mile range listed on the box.

This is very much not the right advice - the mileage range is often marketing hype with very little truth behind it.  Those "150 mile" antennas aren't going to get you a signal from 150 miles away.  The height, terrain, and trees make a much bigger difference.

You need to determine if your CBS station is VHF or UHF (use rabbitears.info) and get the appropriate type and size antenna from one of the major manufacturers - Channel Master, Winegard, Antennas Direct, or Televes.  If the physical channel is 2-13, it's VHF, otherwise it's UHF.

If you have line of sight, and you're within say 20 miles of the antenna with no ridges inbetween, you can probably get away with an indoor antenna.  If you're 20-40 miles away or you have a ridge between you and the tower, a medium sized outdoor antenna or an antenna in the attic should be fine.   Anything more than 40 miles or in mountainous/forested areas calls for a large antenna.

"Antenna Man" on youtube is a good resource for antenna tests and narrowing your list down to a few options.

3 minutes ago, sullim4 said:

This is very much not the right advice - the mileage range is often marketing hype with very little truth behind it.  Those "150 mile" antennas aren't going to get you a signal from 150 miles away.  The height, terrain, and trees make a much bigger difference.

You need to determine if your CBS station is VHF or UHF (use rabbitears.info) and get the appropriate type and size antenna from one of the major manufacturers - Channel Master, Winegard, Antennas Direct, or Televes.  If the physical channel is 2-13, it's VHF, otherwise it's UHF.

If you have line of sight, and you're within say 20 miles of the antenna with no ridges inbetween, you can probably get away with an indoor antenna.  If you're 20-40 miles away or you have a ridge between you and the tower, a medium sized outdoor antenna or an antenna in the attic should be fine.   Anything more than 40 miles or in mountainous/forested areas calls for a large antenna.

"Antenna Man" on youtube is a good resource for antenna tests and narrowing your list down to a few options.

Well it was right for me.....I'm from Kansas, so pretty much the terrain and trees aren't much of a factor where I live, so that's why I pay attention to the miles on the box, but you're right....it would depend on where you live. I realize there are a lot of other factors involved as well.....My family and I used to do various broadcasts, experimenting with different antennas and transmitters, so I definitely know what you're talking about. I was just trying to give this person a simple option.

44 minutes ago, Awwufelloff said:

Is the game available on hulu

or is paramount the only

option?

You said you live near the stadium. The CBS tower is nearby. Plug a 10' coaxial cable into where the antenna goes. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.