Interesting stat: the Steelers have never won a game when TJ Watt is out

SDS

I didn’t look this up myself, I was told this yesterday by my neighbor who is from Pittsburgh. Apparently the Steelers are somewhere around 0–8 when TJ Watt is out.

He was a beast last year in the opener and I’m not surprised to see them suffering without him.

• SDS changed the title to Interesting stat: the Steelers have never won a game when TJ Watt is out
9 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Yeah I heard that before the game.  

I think Watt is the most important player for a team outside of any QB.  He's the best defensive player in the NFL now.  

I think it was one of the big factors yesterday that allowed Allen to drop back and look for so many more deep routes than he has in previous games this year. 11 attempts over 20 yds yesterday compared to 13 attempts over 20 yds in the previous 4 games.

Edited by billsfan1959
  • Like (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Yeah I heard that before the game.  

I think Watt is the most important player for a team outside of any QB.  He's the best defensive player in the NFL now.  

I might lean Micah Parsons.... and obviously there is still AD.... but Watt is in that conversation for sure. He does seem to be suffering the same career injury arc as JJ did though.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I might lean Micah Parsons.... and obviously there is still AD.... but Watt is in that conversation for sure. He does seem to be suffering the same career injury arc as JJ did though.

Yeah...I kinda forgot about Parsons.  I think he could break the season sack record within 3-4 years.

36 minutes ago, billsfan1959 said:

I think it was one of the big factors yesterday that allowed Allen to drop back and look for so many more deep routes than he has in previous games this year. 11 attempts over 20 yds yesterday compared to 13 attempts over 20 yds in the previous 4 games.

Yep.  He destroys game plans.  Allen was hit in the endzone with that 98 yard bomb.  If Watt was playing....

Shows how valuable he is to their team but I don't think it would have changed the outcome in a lot of these games this season as the Steelers are clearing in a full blown rebuilding mode now and there's no avoiding the inevitable in terms of Tomlin having a losing season for the first time in his long career.

2 hours ago, SDS said:

I didn’t look this up myself, I was told this yesterday by my neighbor who is from Pittsburgh. Apparently the Steelers are somewhere around 0–8 when TJ Watt is out.

He was a beast last year in the opener and I’m not surprised to see them suffering without him.

Welllllllll......

I wonder if this is one of those "correlation is not causation" things.

image.thumb.png.7d28701fb565b2ae85c708cfe6005b04.png

The Steelers lost a close game to Chicago Watt's rookie year.  Da Bears had a pretty good D that year, so you could argue the loss had less to do with being Watt-less on D and more to do with being shut down on O.  Watt played every game that mattered the next 3 years - Steelers held him out of the final game in 2020.

So most of the meaningful games the Steelers have played without Watt have come in 2021 and 2022.

In 2021, the Steelers lost 2 games without Watt and 5 games with him.  The Steelers lost to the Bengals by an even bigger margin the 2nd game when TJ Watt played! LOL.  The Chargers game was 1 score and sure, Watt woulda made a difference.

Then 4 "L"s this season with Mitch "won't throw downfield" Trubisky at the helm and yesterday.

Is Watt a game changer for the Steelers, Sure, sometimes - but IMHO the bigger issue for the Steelers has been their QB play last season and this.

• Like (+1) 1

I mean....isn't there a world where he misses the entire year now with the knee surgery popping up? Is the expectation they go 1-16 if that happens?

Why not figure out what you have in Pickens, let your best player get to 100% for next season. I don't see the value in getting him back this year for what might be just a few weeks. 

They won't lose 16 games and if Pickens isn't the guy you want to know ASAP. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.