If I told you... (Injury Reflections)

Captain Caveman

Before the season that the below players had missed games (or big chunks of games) in weeks 1-4, what would you expect our record to be at this point (against Rams, Titans, Dolphins and Ravens)

Tre White (1st 4 games at least)
Ed Oliver (multiple games)

Micah Hyde (out for season after game 2)

Gabe Davis (1 game, other games played but still impacted)

Dane Jackson (multiple games)

Christian Benford (multiple games)

Jordan Poyer

Mitch Morse

Greg Van Roten (when starting for Morse)

Spencer Brown (in same game as Morse was out)

Ryan Bates (in same game as Morse was out)

Tommy Doyle (in same game as Morse and Spencer Brown was out)

Isiah McKenzie and Jamison Crowder (both in 2nd half of the same game)

Edited to add

Jordan Phillips (multiple games)

Tim Settle

Jake Kumerow (1 game so far, looks like more coming)

Xavier Rhodes (who had been signed to replace Jackson / Benford but got bit by the Buffalo Defensive Backfield Curse of 2022)

The Bills have weathered some very bad injury luck through the 1st four weeks, and hopefully should be getting some reinforcements soon.  Just typing this all out (I probably missed some players also) made me feel grateful to be sitting at 3-1 going into this week's game.

Edited by Captain Caveman
  • Like (+1) 9
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3

• Captain Caveman changed the title to If I told you... (Injury Reflections)
1 minute ago, BuffalOhio said:

Jordan Phillips (multiple games).

I'm happy with where we stand, but that Dolphins game still hurts.

Ravens game made up for the Fins game a little bit...they were not ready to go in the first half but were able to stem the tide and turn it around to pull out a late victory. Good for their mental toughness and believing they can win games like that down the line.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

Honestly, if you'd have told me with no injuries that we'd walk out of the first 4 games against the Rams, Titans, Dolphins, and Ravens with a 3-1 record - I'd have been pleased with that. Given the absolutely insane amount of adversity they've had, you have to be thrilled.

My concern is the injuries keep piling up. Every game we're losing multiple people and others are getting banged up. Even when we get people back, we're then losing others.

At some point if we're to win it all this season, we need to put some games together where we're not having key players getting hurt. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 4

I'd be thrilled with 3-1.

Right now, I'm more worried about the long term effects.

I fear that the injuries to Gabe and Oliver will linger all year, and we really need them to be elite.  We need that interior push to compliment Groot and Von.  Josh needs a viable number 2 option.  It can't always be the Diggs show

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Virgil said:

I fear that the injuries to Gabe and Oliver will linger all year, and we really need them to be elite.  We need that interior push to compliment Groot and Von.  Josh needs a viable number 2 option.  It can't always be the Diggs show

Imo, we need to figure out how to get Knox, Shakir, McKenzie etc, more involved, so they can compliment Diggs more while Davis heals up, that and our O line coach and OC need to have a sit down and figure out how to scheme run plays, that don’t suck, lol, jmo.

Go  Bills!!!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

11 minutes ago, Virgil said:

I'm inclined to rest them through the bye if that ensures that they are truly 100% against Green Bay.  I think we can win the Pittsburgh game without them and KC is going to be a tough game with or without them.  I normally wouldn't think this way, but this isn't a normal season we've had so far.

18 minutes ago, Virgil said:

Agreed, but also they seem to be smart about not rushing players back, a luxury their depth allows.

Signed, a salty Cordarrelle Patterson fantasy owner.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

26 minutes ago, BuffalOhio said:

Jordan Phillips (multiple games).

I'm happy with where we stand, but that Dolphins game still hurts.

You know he would've played out of his mind in that game. We'd be 4-0. Gotta get Oliver, Phillips & Tre back first.  Shakir can easily fill in for Crowder.

4 minutes ago, Shake_My_Head said:

With this injury list, I'll be very happy with 4-2 at the bye.   The schedule difficulty is front-loaded and with some better health, the remaining 11 games look very winnable.

Aside from KC and Cinncy, the remaining games do look very winable.

46 minutes ago, Captain Caveman said:

The Bills have weathered some very bad injury luck through the 1st four weeks, and hopefully should be getting some reinforcements soon.  Just typing this all out (I probably missed some players also) made me feel grateful to be sitting at 3-1 going into this week's game.

So has everyone else.  Look at all the 2nd and 3rd string QB's playing yesterday.  I don't think injuries have played into the outcome of games so far.  The Bills have looked great and at times they have looked terrible in the same game.  The lack consistency.  So far they have only played one complete game against the Titans, and they sat their starters in the 4th quarter.  

Rams game 1st half.  Bad.

Dolphins. 2nd half.  Bad

Ravens 1st half. Bad

• Eyeroll 2
  • Dislike 2

2 minutes ago, Bills2022 said:

I don't think injuries have played into the outcome of games so far.

You think walking into Miami missing 6 starters on defense and then missing 3/5 of the starting Oline during the game didn't effect the outcome? :blink:

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, Bills2022 said:

So has everyone else.  Look at all the 2nd and 3rd string QB's playing yesterday.  I don't think injuries have played into the outcome of games so far.  The Bills have looked great and at times they have looked terrible in the same game.  The lack consistency.  So far they have only played one complete game against the Titans, and they sat their starters in the 4th quarter.  

Rams game 1st half.  Bad.

Dolphins. 2nd half.  Bad

Ravens 1st half. Bad

And copper rush looks better than dak at this point. 

If you don't think injuries haven't played a role in the outcome of games then @DC Tom had a few choice words for you. 

5 minutes ago, Simon said:

You think walking into Miami missing 6 starters on defense and then missing 3/5 of the starting Oline during the game didn't effect the outcome? :blink:

Nope.  Bills win easily if they execute. They were able to put up 500 yards and hold the Dolphins to 200 yards with the guys they had on the field.  That says it all.  Even with the starters you aren't really going to improve on that type of dominance.  I am sure the Dolphins were missing a guy or two.  Part of football. 

Edited by Bills2022
  • Dislike 2

33 minutes ago, Virgil said:

That should happen again when Oliver and Phillips come back.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.