Week 1 Impressions?

Max Fischer

20 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

My impression overall - in a league where barely anyone uses the run to set up the pass anymore, teams pass when everyone knows they are passing and where it is all about scoring offensive lines are more determinative than ever. 

Bengals, Rams, Cowboys, Packers, Raiders all have good or great at Quarterback and lost in large part because they couldn't protect their passer. 

The Bengals run to the Superbowl with bottom 5 OL was a one off. You have to be able to protect in this league. 

So true.  Also, bad OLs stunt young QB development.  For me, putting together a decent OL has to be one of the hardest things for

a GM/HC to accomplish.  You have 5 starters, and you just can't throw $s at it.  Add at least 2 decent depth players and putting it all together

for even 1 season (let alone multiple) has to be a nightmare.

A team can have some weaker starters on the DL or WRs and still get production.  It just takes one or two weak links on an OL for the

whole unit to be subpar.  Having the right high $ vets as anchors, a few guys on rookie contracts and some vet fillers all coming together

to make a good unit just adds up to more misses (as a whole) than hits.

Then trying to figure out schemes of blocking vs the players talent and having a balance of some sorts, between pass protection and

run blocking.........well, I wouldn't want to try to figure it out.

An OL coach like Kromer would have to have input as to what he needs.  I'm hopeful that is what's happening in Buffalo.

48 minutes ago, Chris from Rochester said:

Mahomes somehow looked better without Hill. I am concerned about them. Hope I'm wrong.

Saw an interesting stat that the Cards blitzed Mahomes on 54% of his drop backs and he burned them. Fortunately we have a defensive front four that can create all the pressure needed and drop 7 in coverage. That is the best way to beat Mahomes. Beane and McDermott have built this team with that in mind and have done a great job.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Sestak4ever said:

Saw an interesting stat that the Cards blitzed Mahomes on 54% of his drop backs and he burned them. Fortunately we have a defensive front four that can create all the pressure needed and drop 7 in coverage. That is the best way to beat Mahomes. Beane and McDermott have built this team with that in mind and have done a great job.

Lunacy. The book on Mahomes is out by now. You DO NOT blitz him. You drop guys, play coverage, disrupt the passing lanes and make him dink and dunk. You make him stay patient and precise. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Sestak4ever said:

Yeah Arizona never stood a chance. They hit him a couple times but there was never any real pressure. He looked like he was just going down the list making sure everyone active got a catch. 

Buffalo just needs to get the #1 seed.  That's the whole purpose of this regular season.  So every game, especially an upcoming AFC game vs Tenn is huge.

Hoping the Raiders, Chargers, Chiefs Broncos...and the Ravens, Bengals, Steelers cannibalize each other and make the road a bit easier.

Just now, GunnerBill said:

Lunacy. The book on Mahomes is out by now. You DO NOT blitz him. You drop guys, play coverage, disrupt the passing lanes and make him dink and dunk. You make him stay patient and precise. 

The only counter I have to this is the Cards are really banged up in the defensive backfield and maybe thought there only chance was to force the action. Stupid though.

4 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

The only counter I have to this is the Cards are really banged up in the defensive backfield and maybe thought there only chance was to force the action. Stupid though.

OK, but then it could be said you'd want to add as many defenders as possible, zone it up and keep everything in front of them.  Mahomes may still score

but at least he'll do it at a slower pace.  It's a tough choice, although what they did sure didn't work.

13 minutes ago, Sestak4ever said:

That's a great point. I knew they blitzed him but didn't realize it was that much. 

11 hours ago, dpberr said:

I didn't see a defense that can stop the Bills.  

Tom Brady and Aaron Rodgers looked tired and uninterested.  

Cardinals, Colts and Cowboys looked completely unprepared.  

Frank Reich would have been fired today if the Colts lost.      

The Chargers look to be the team to beat besides the Bills. My Early rankings are:

1 Bills

2 Chargers

3 KC

4 Bengals

• Agree 1

Week 1 of 2022 might the worst week of football ever played.  Half of the slate were true trash classics.  These are the types of wins and losses fanbases remember for decades.  

ATL and New Orleans - another epic ATL choke in one of the sloppiest games I have ever seen

PIT and Cincinnatti - epicly bad clock management by cincinatti gifted the inept Stillers one last chance at a long field goal after both kickers missed game winning opportunities

Seattle and Denver - Hackett runs the clock on himself and basically concedes the loss rather than give his team a chance to win

Cleveland vs Carolina - 2 backup QBs battled it out in a punt fest punctuated with a few field goals

Indy and Texans - Houston gave Indy every chance possible to win but Reich, a guy who ***** comebacks, couldn't engineer a way out of a steamy makeout session with his sister and the game ends tied.

San Fran and Chicago - this game was played on a pond for some reason.  Neither QB completed 50% of their passes.  

Titans and Giants - the Titans simply did everything they could to lose.  Muffed punt, missing field goals, they would not be denied

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Jauronimo said:

Week 1 of 2022 might the worst week of football ever played.  Half of the slate were true trash classics.  These are the types of wins and losses fanbases remember for decades.  

ATL and New Orleans - another epic ATL choke in one of the sloppiest games I have ever seen

PIT and Cincinnatti - epicly bad clock management by cincinatti gifted the inept Stillers one last chance at a long field goal after both kickers missed game winning opportunities

Seattle and Denver - Hackett runs the clock on himself and basically concedes the loss rather than give his team a chance to win

Cleveland vs Carolina - 2 backup QBs battled it out in a punt fest punctuated with a few field goals

Indy and Texans - Houston gave Indy every chance possible to win but Reich, a guy who ***** comebacks, couldn't engineer a way out of a steamy makeout session with his sister and the game ends tied.

San Fran and Chicago - this game was played on a pond for some reason.  Neither QB completed 50% of their passes.  

Titans and Giants - the Titans simply did everything they could to lose.  Muffed punt, missing field goals, they would not be denied

It was one of the most exciting week one NFL games I've seen. Sure there were mistakes and sloppy play but that's part of the game too. As a fan, I think it's super exciting when games are decided in the f8nal seconds, big field goals to win or lose the game, and games decided in OT. Not sure what you are looking for when watching games. Based on your opinion the Bills game sucked too because they had 4 turnovers and the Rams generally sucked. 

I disagree with your premise that it was the worst week of football ever played. What makes a good football game to you? 

The scary thing to think about is if in this game the Bills were shaking off the rust of the off season & then as they did last year hitting their stride say by mid season OMG i can't wait to see just how dominate this team will be when they do get in that groove !!! :worthy:

19 hours ago, ColoradoBills said:

OK, but then it could be said you'd want to add as many defenders as possible, zone it up and keep everything in front of them.  Mahomes may still score

but at least he'll do it at a slower pace.  It's a tough choice, although what they did sure didn't work.

I never really expected the Ariz defense to effectively stop the Chiefs and Mahomes. What surprised me was their lack of offense. I thought Coach Kingsbury would dail up a dynamic offensive scheme. Murray would use his legs and arm to keep the game close. After the game, I just thought wow Murray isn't worth all that money. It's only week one but I sure am glad the Bills have Allen. 

• Like (+1) 1

20 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

“Our defensive backfield is weak, the strategy will be to weaken it even further, hoping that sending extra rushers against a blitz ninja will work!”

Narrator: It did not. 

2 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

I never really expected the Ariz defense to effectively stop the Chiefs and Mahomes. What surprised me was their lack of offense. I thought Coach Kingsbury would dail up a dynamic offensive scheme. Murray would use his legs and arm to keep the game close. After the game, I just thought wow Murray isn't worth all that money. It's only week one but I sure am glad the Bills have Allen. 

they REALLY miss Hopkins. 

He’s like one of 5 WRs where you can just go “***** it he’s down there somewhere” and heave it at him. Also with Hopkins out there, a lot of attention comes off other players. 

8 minutes ago, uninja said:

“Our defensive backfield is weak, the strategy will be to weaken it even further, hoping that sending extra rushers against a blitz ninja will work!”

Narrator: It did not. 

they REALLY miss Hopkins. 

He’s like one of 5 WRs where you can just go “***** it he’s down there somewhere” and heave it at him. Also with Hopkins out there, a lot of attention comes off other players. 

No doubt that is a huge blow to their offense. However, elite QBs have to play better than that. Murray looked very ordinary against a so so defense. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.