Week 1 Impressions?

Max Fischer

22 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

It was one of the most exciting week one NFL games I've seen. Sure there were mistakes and sloppy play but that's part of the game too. As a fan, I think it's super exciting when games are decided in the f8nal seconds, big field goals to win or lose the game, and games decided in OT. Not sure what you are looking for when watching games. Based on your opinion the Bills game sucked too because they had 4 turnovers and the Rams generally sucked. 

I disagree with your premise that it was the worst week of football ever played. What makes a good football game to you? 

It was exciting and made for great entertainment for the disinterested but it was horrible execution, mind boggling coaching decisions, and poor football that created these exciting situations.  If you were a fan of any of those teams it was like watching the 6-3 game mixed with 13 seconds and wide right in terms of heart ache.  These games were a comedy of errors between two teams trying their hardest to hand a win to their opponent.

In summary, bad football.

What makes a good football game is two teams executing and making big plays culminating in last second heroics rather than two teams one-upping the others ineptitude until a tie seems like the only possible outcome.

Edited by Jauronimo

10 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

It was exciting and made for great entertainment for the disinterested but it was horrible execution, mind boggling coaching decisions, and poor football that created these exciting situations.  If you were a fan of any of those teams it was like watching the 6-3 game mixed with 13 seconds and wide right in terms of heart ache.  These games were a comedy of errors between two teams trying their hardest to hand a win to their opponent.

In summary, bad football.

What makes a good football game is two teams executing and making big plays culminating in last second heroics rather than two teams one-upping the others ineptitude until a tie seems like the only possible outcome.

Disagree. Every week questionable decisions and poor execution happens. A blocked FGs, fumbles, and ints can also be just very good defensive plays. A missed FG is often just as exciting as a made one. The human element which includes mistakes is part of the game. As a fan, I don't expect teams or players to play like robots. I mean by your premise you can say the Bills Chiefs playoff game was poorly played. Right? Defenses made lots of mistakes, defense couldn't missed several sacks on both Qbs, the Chiefs should have never allowed the Bills to score to take the lead. Gave up huge 4th diwn plays, the Bills players and coaches were horrible in the last 13 seconds. Terrible game! Sloppy terrible defense and lots and lots of coaching and player mistakes. Am I right? 

29 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

Disagree. Every week questionable decisions and poor execution happens. A blocked FGs, fumbles, and ints can also be just very good defensive plays. A missed FG is often just as exciting as a made one. The human element which includes mistakes is part of the game. As a fan, I don't expect teams or players to play like robots. I mean by your premise you can say the Bills Chiefs playoff game was poorly played. Right? Defenses made lots of mistakes, defense couldn't missed several sacks on both Qbs, the Chiefs should have never allowed the Bills to score to take the lead. Gave up huge 4th diwn plays, the Bills players and coaches were horrible in the last 13 seconds. Terrible game! Sloppy terrible defense and lots and lots of coaching and player mistakes. Am I right? 

You are really going to compare arguably the greatest football game ever played to the ***** fests we saw week 1?  The games I pointed out fielded zero competent offenses.  Quarters and halves were played with no scoring.  They were boring, uninspiring affairs that were nearly unwatchable until the final minutes when both teams went full implosion.  Glad you enjoyed your punt fest and missed kicks.  

You are unequivocally, categorically wrong on all accounts.  Congratulations.

EDIT: I can't get over how appalling stupid that comparison really was.  Allen and Mahomes played two nearly perfect games leading to the most exciting game many people have ever witnessed.  The two best, most exciting QBs in the game executing at the highest level.  And you want to compare that to Trubisky and Burrow soiling themselves for 70 minutes?  Or Matt Ryan in an epic punting duel with Davis Mills?  That Jameis - Mariota 3 and out showdown? What is the matter with you? 

Edited by Jauronimo
  • Haha (+1) 2

21 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

You are really going to compare arguably the greatest football game ever played to the ***** fests we saw week 1?  The games I pointed out fielded zero competent offenses.  Quarters and halves were played with no scoring.  They were boring, uninspiring affairs that were nearly unwatchable until the final minutes when both teams went full implosion.  Glad you enjoyed your punt fest and missed kicks.  

EDIT: I can't get over how appalling stupid that comparison really was.  Allen and Mahomes played two nearly perfect games leading to the most exciting game many people have ever witnessed.  The two best, most exciting QBs in the game executing at the highest level.  And you want to compare that to Trubisky and Burrow soiling themselves for 70 minutes?  Or Matt Ryan in an epic punting duel with Davis Mills?  That Jameis - Mariota 3 and out showdown? What is the matter with you? 

Not going to get into a poop contest with you. For you, week one was terrible for you. Others like myself view it as competitive football that was unexpected with exciting finishes. To each its own. Ask the fans of Chicago, New Orleans, NYG, Pitts, Clev, and Seattle if it was terrible football they watched. It was a great week one of football!!!!!

Week one was great but it was also incredibly sloppy from numerous teams due to the lack of preseason game action for starters. We saw a similar showing last year, but that’s the magic of week one and a lot of unpredictability.

I know there was a ton of survivor pools upended this weekend, that’s for sure.

• Like (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

Of course the playoff game was epic. I was just merely pointing out your flaws to your argument of how week 1 football was terrible. I proposely used one of the greatest games played as an argument against your flawed thinking. You didn't address any of those points. Not accidental. I stand by my statement saying I don't agree with your assessment of week 1. 

2 minutes ago, Rampage said:

Week one was great but it was also incredibly sloppy from numerous teams due to the lack of preseason game action for starters. We saw a similar showing last year, but that’s the magic of week one and a lot of unpredictability.

I know there was a ton of survivor pools upended this weekend, that’s for sure.

Great point and post. 

1 minute ago, newcam2012 said:

Of course the playoff game was epic. I was just merely pointing out your flaws to your argument of how week 1 football was terrible. I proposely used one of the greatest games played as an argument against your flawed thinking. You didn't address any of those points. Not accidental. I stand by my statement saying I don't agree with your assessment of week 1. 

If you think great players, making great plays in clutch situations is sloppy then we will agree on nothing.  Allen scrambling for his life on 4th down and throwing a strike to Gabe Davis for the go ahead TD is a magnificent play.  Muffing a punt on your own 4 yard line to give Daniel Jones a free score is nothing.  Mahomes improvising with Kelce based on the DBs outside leverage is a defensive mistake but still a great play.  Making field goals to force overtime >>>> missing chip shots to force overtime.  Punting with 20 seconds left on the play clock and giving time for your opponent to get in field goal range is a mistake born out of embarrassment for how poorly the game was played not a choke under the immense pressure of the situation.  More than half of the week 1 slate could have been played to the Benny Hill theme song. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Jauronimo said:

If you think great players, making great plays in clutch situations is sloppy then we will agree on nothing.  Allen scrambling for his life on 4th down and throwing a strike to Gabe Davis for the go ahead TD is a magnificent play.  Muffing a punt on your own 4 yard line to give Daniel Jones a free score is nothing.  Mahomes improvising with Kelce based on the DBs outside leverage is a defensive mistake but still a great play.  Making field goals to force overtime >>>> missing chip shots to force overtime.  Punting with 20 seconds left on the play clock and giving time for your opponent to get in field goal range is a mistake born out of embarrassment for how poorly the game was played not a choke under the immense pressure of the situation.  More than half of the week 1 slate could have been played to the Benny Hill theme song. 

Then you shouldn't watch football. Every week there will be plenty of costly mistakes. Literally, you can complain about sloppy plays and mistakes every week. If you dont think mistakes and sloppy play are going to happen every week then we agree on nothing. 

Most of us don't want to hear people complaining about how sloppy a week one was. Instead, enjoy the games and the fantastic finishes. 

Please don't try to misrepresent what I said. I NEVER said the game wasn't great. I called it epic! I don't dispute the great play of many players in that game. It's you that seemingly don't like human errors in the game. 

Edited by newcam2012

2 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

Then you shouldn't watch football. Every week there will be plenty of costly mistakes. Literally, you can complain about sloppy plays and mistakes every week. If you dont think mistakes and sloppy play are going to happen every week then we agree on nothing. 

Most of us don't want to hear people complaining about how sloppy a week one was. Instead, enjoy the games and the fantastic finishes. 

Week 1 set a new level for slop and unforced mistakes.  I'll keep watching and hope for better games, thanks.  I'll even comment on future displays of pathetically bad football.  Please don't let it diminish your enjoyment of punts and missed field goals.  

I laughed my ass off at the end of the Seahawks Denver game. It was enjoyable.  Doesn't change the fact that it was made possible by 50 minutes of dreadfully uninteresting football.  

Week 1 set a new level for slop and unforced mistakes.  I'll keep watching and hope for better games, thanks.  I'll even comment on future displays of pathetically bad football.  Please don't let it diminish your enjoyment of punts and missed field goals.  

I laughed my ass off at the end of the Seahawks Denver game. It was enjoyable.  Doesn't change the fact that it was made possible by 50 minutes of dreadfully uninteresting football.  

That's exactly where we disagree. A missed field and punts muffs are often  exciting and game changing. It doesn't lessen the football product for me.  As a fan, I don't want to see robotic football with no mistakes. I mean why did they change the extra point kick? Add on a 2 point conversion? The old extra point was boring as could be. 

Real time clock management is also very exciting. Often, I'm criticizing the coaches decisions and yelling at the TV. Remember, the Dac scramble and time expired? How interesting was that? Talked about for days afterwards. 

Not sure what your idea of boring football is. Not sure what makes you see a game as pleasureable? Boring? Or Exciting? Uninteresting? Everyone had different visions. Ours clearly differs. As for me, I can pretty much watch any game and enjoy it. I even enjoyed the Bucs Cowboy game. It wasn't the most exciting game but I was still entertained. Not every game is going to be a blockbuster or cleanly played. Heck, one could say the Bills Rams game at 10-10 at halftime was boring and sloppy. Uninteresting football as you say. Frankly, when I watch the Bills play it's never uninterested football for me. 

Of course. It's a long season and injuries always play a role. 

2 hours ago, Jauronimo said:

You think it was uninteresting football to Seattle and Denver fans? People who had various bets on the game? Fantasy football owners? Fan duel or Draft Kings players? 

Come on stop going from worse to worse. 

21 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

That's exactly where we disagree. A missed field and punts muffs are often  exciting and game changing. It doesn't lessen the football product for me.  As a fan, I don't want to see robotic football with no mistakes. I mean why did they change the extra point kick? Add on a 2 point conversion? The old extra point was boring as could be. 

Real time clock management is also very exciting. Often, I'm criticizing the coaches decisions and yelling at the TV. Remember, the Dac scramble and time expired? How interesting was that? Talked about for days afterwards. 

Not sure what your idea of boring football is. Not sure what makes you see a game as pleasureable? Boring? Or Exciting? Uninteresting? Everyone had different visions. Ours clearly differs. As for me, I can pretty much watch any game and enjoy it. I even enjoyed the Bucs Cowboy game. It wasn't the most exciting game but I was still entertained. Not every game is going to be a blockbuster or cleanly played. Heck, one could say the Bills Rams game at 10-10 at halftime was boring and sloppy. Uninteresting football as you say. Frankly, when I watch the Bills play it's never uninterested football for me. 

Of course. It's a long season and injuries always play a role. 

You think it was uninteresting football to Seattle and Denver fans? People who had various bets on the game? Fantasy football owners? Fan duel or Draft Kings players? 

Come on stop going from worse to worse. 

Your defense of terribly played football games is....persistent.  I wish you a long healthy life filled with Geno Smith playing Davis Mills to 16-16 ties because all games are beautiful in their own way.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Vomit 1
  • Haha (+1) 3

2 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

For real in this context means no longer a joke and a 9 or 10 win team.

We'll see if I'm wrong.

I have to look at their schedule to see how many tomato cans they have, but by week 3, once opposing DC's have the book on Tua, he won't be able to fake it anymore.  I say 7 wins.

On 9/12/2022 at 2:33 PM, Nextmanup said:

I was hoping for and expecting a drop-off in KC, but we didn't get it.  They look as dangerous as ever.

Miami is for real and will be our toughest division competition this year.

NE looks lost; you can literally SEE the physical/athletic limitations to Mac Jones' game when you watch him play.

I still think our toughest test is KC.

I agree with this except for Miami is for real. I actually watched some of that game and overall was unimpressed. Miami is clearly the second best team in our division but the gap from us to them I think is bigger this year than last.

9 hours ago, Warcodered said:

Any rating system where Mahomes is not near the top of the ranking after that game is stupid. Josh was disrespected for years by PFF and just because they are now disrespecting others does not make it better. Josh could be argued better due to playing a much better defense, Mahomes was better by straight numbers but they should be real close.

13 hours ago, Buffalo Timmy said:

I agree with this except for Miami is for real. I actually watched some of that game and overall was unimpressed. Miami is clearly the second best team in our division but the gap from us to them I think is bigger this year than last.

Any rating system where Mahomes is not near the top of the ranking after that game is stupid. Josh was disrespected for years by PFF and just because they are now disrespecting others does not make it better. Josh could be argued better due to playing a much better defense, Mahomes was better by straight numbers but they should be real close.

It's not at all disrespectful to Mahomes to note that he was throwing to wide-open receivers against a terrible defense.  He was playing on story mode last Sunday, while Allen and the Bills had to deal with Aaron Donald and Jalen Ramsey (who is good except when he plays us).  Totally fair to take degree of difficulty into account when evaluating a player.  I wouldn't get all excited about Allen hanging 40 points on the Lions, for example.  

We all understand that while our defense was good last year, their stats were inflated by getting to play against a parade of mediocre to terrible quarterbacks.  It's not disrespectful to anybody to acknowledge as much.  We can pay Mahomes the same courtesy when he beats up on a punching bag like Arizona's defense. 

Edit: Mahomes is an elite, top-notch player who should be in contention for MVP again this year.  I like the guy, but I'm sure he would agree that Arizona didn't put up much resistance.

Edited by BillsFanSD

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.