Week 1 Impressions?

Max Fischer

20 hours ago, Jauronimo said:

Your defense of terribly played football games is....persistent.  I wish you a long healthy life filled with Geno Smith playing Davis Mills to 16-16 ties because all games are beautiful in their own way.

Come on man. The Gino Smith story is a good one. He played well and it looks like he's getting another opportunity. Of course he's not elite but perhaps he can be a serviceable starter. The guy has been in the league for 10 years. He's a gamer and I don't mind watching him or Mills. Your viewpoints are very shallow. 

16 hours ago, Buffalo Timmy said:

I agree with this except for Miami is for real. I actually watched some of that game and overall was unimpressed. Miami is clearly the second best team in our division but the gap from us to them I think is bigger this year than last.

Any rating system where Mahomes is not near the top of the ranking after that game is stupid. Josh was disrespected for years by PFF and just because they are now disrespecting others does not make it better. Josh could be argued better due to playing a much better defense, Mahomes was better by straight numbers but they should be real close.

The PFF rating system is designed to have this debate every week.  The ratings are judged on the difficulty of the throw.  So making the right read and throwing a bomb to a wide open guy on a blown coverage is basically a neutral play. Hitting your guy in tight coverage or making a circus throw on the run is big points.  Basically the PFF scores say Mahomes had an easy day of it while Allen was making plays with a higher degree of difficulty.  PFF did not punish Josh for either INT.

4 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

Come on man. The Gino Smith story is a good one. He played well and it looks like he's getting another opportunity. Of course he's not elite but perhaps he can be a serviceable starter. The guy has been in the league for 10 years. He's a gamer and I don't mind watching him or Mills. Your viewpoints are very shallow. 

He played so well that they scored 0 points in the second half and had to rely on Denver to turn the ball over on the goal line twice and make inexplicable coaching decisions leading to a missed field goal to win the game.  He played one decent half.  He's a half-gamer and a marginal NFL talent.  No wonder you love him.

And its Geno.  Get something right.  

56 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

He played so well that they scored 0 points in the second half and had to rely on Denver to turn the ball over on the goal line twice and make inexplicable coaching decisions leading to a missed field goal to win the game.  He played one decent half.  He's a half-gamer and a marginal NFL talent.  No wonder you love him.

Another misrepresentation of what I said. You seem to be a master of that. I don't love him nor did I say that. 

Geno it is.  Conveniently you failed to answer or address several of my questions. Of course, that's not be accident.

Carry on with your complaints of sloppy and boring football. Can't wait to get educated. 

1 hour ago, Jauronimo said:

The person who deserves credit for the first half is Shane Waldren IMO. Was an excellent plan. Lots of half field reads for Geno, lots of misdirection that the Broncos swallowed. I thought he had a really good gameplan and called as good a game as you can call. Ultimately what happened 2nd half is the Broncos caught up a bit to what they were doing, played with greater zone discipline and Waldren was very wary of calling anything where Geno (known as a poor decision maker) might end up putting the ball in harms way. They played the game like a team who while they were in front were not going to beat themselves and were going to make Denver take it. And Denver made mistakes, coughed the ball up and had ran the strangest 4 minute offense I have ever seen in my life. 

https://www.nfl.com/news/nfl-qb-index-week-2-2022-season-rankings

Wow 😮 like WOW 🤩 

Allen’s chemistry with on-field dance partner Stefon Diggs is special.
The game-sealing 53-yard touchdown shot to the wideout came with Allen darting away from defenders and hurling the ball while moving at 13.6 mph, the fastest recorded time on a completion of 50-plus yards in the history of Next Gen Stats.

Having crossed over from our NFL offices to SoFi Stadium to watch this game live,

it became clear: He’s the most physically dominant quarterback I’ve ever seen in person.

On 9/12/2022 at 10:09 PM, Jauronimo said:

Week 1 of 2022 might the worst week of football ever played.  Half of the slate were true trash classics.  These are the types of wins and losses fanbases remember for decades.  

ATL and New Orleans - another epic ATL choke in one of the sloppiest games I have ever seen

PIT and Cincinnatti - epicly bad clock management by cincinatti gifted the inept Stillers one last chance at a long field goal after both kickers missed game winning opportunities

Seattle and Denver - Hackett runs the clock on himself and basically concedes the loss rather than give his team a chance to win

Cleveland vs Carolina - 2 backup QBs battled it out in a punt fest punctuated with a few field goals

Indy and Texans - Houston gave Indy every chance possible to win but Reich, a guy who ***** comebacks, couldn't engineer a way out of a steamy makeout session with his sister and the game ends tied.

San Fran and Chicago - this game was played on a pond for some reason.  Neither QB completed 50% of their passes.  

Titans and Giants - the Titans simply did everything they could to lose.  Muffed punt, missing field goals, they would not be denied

Week 2 of 2022 may have been one of the worst football ever played. Just trash and a garbage product.

Miami vs Belt. High scoring but terribly sloppy. Balt secondary was horrific leaving The a wide open Waddle and Hill numerous times. Miami get beat on a Lamar run for 61 yards. His longest run ever. Both teams looked bad in so many ways.

Jets Vs Clev. Flacco vs Brissett. Who was glued to watch these two? Enough said here.

NE vs Pitt. Jones vs Mitch T was a snooze feast. Jones was ok at times. Mitch T is God awful. Muffed punt by Pitt was horrible to watch. This game was almost unwatchable.

TB and NO. Talk about a sleeper. A 3-3 game at the end of 3 quarters. James with 3 ints and Brady threw for a whopping 190 yards. 

Seattle vs SF. Another lack luster game. Geno back to Geno. Only Seattle Rd was on a blocked FG return. Game was unwatchable.

Houston vs Denver. Mills vs Wilson. Another poorly played game. Sloppy with no offensive flow. Wilson was every bit as need a Mills. 

Chicago vs Green Bay. I stopped watchibg the game at halftime.  It was so bad. 

The NFL has to give us a better product. The terribly QB play, sloppy play, terrible drops and turnovers, and boring football. 

On 9/12/2022 at 10:09 PM, Jauronimo said:

Week 1 of 2022 might the worst week of football ever played.  Half of the slate were true trash classics.  These are the types of wins and losses fanbases remember for decades.  

ATL and New Orleans - another epic ATL choke in one of the sloppiest games I have ever seen

PIT and Cincinnatti - epicly bad clock management by cincinatti gifted the inept Stillers one last chance at a long field goal after both kickers missed game winning opportunities

Seattle and Denver - Hackett runs the clock on himself and basically concedes the loss rather than give his team a chance to win

Cleveland vs Carolina - 2 backup QBs battled it out in a punt fest punctuated with a few field goals

Indy and Texans - Houston gave Indy every chance possible to win but Reich, a guy who ***** comebacks, couldn't engineer a way out of a steamy makeout session with his sister and the game ends tied.

San Fran and Chicago - this game was played on a pond for some reason.  Neither QB completed 50% of their passes.  

Titans and Giants - the Titans simply did everything they could to lose.  Muffed punt, missing field goals, they would not be denied

Edited by newcam2012

6 hours ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

week one was like that too. Survivor pools must be devastated. I went Ravens week 1 and Broncos week 2. Staying alive.

I was thinking the same.  I’m actually glad I didn’t do the survival pools like I normally do.  It was crappy football yesterday.  Hopefully our Bills end the week on a high note.  

On 9/12/2022 at 12:45 PM, Max Fischer said:

My thoughts on Week 1 --

Bills - Very encouraging start. Four turnovers and Buffalo still dominated the Super Bowl Champs in LA.  ⬆️

Chiefs - Tyreek who? Yes, Cards are beat up and overrated, but Good Gawd they look Super Bowl sharp.   ⬆️  

Chargers - Continue to improve. Herbert looked very good against Raiders and the defense played well. ⬆️

Vikings - How do you stop Justin Jefferson? Defense is good, but Packers offense may be much worse. Eagles next ⬆️

Ravens - Checked the box versus the pathetic Jets. Looked fine overall, we'll know more next week versus Dolphins.  ⬆️

Dolphins - Definitely better, though jury may be out after playing at home against an apparently awful Pats team. We'll see against the Ravens in Baltimore.  ⬆️

Giants - Daboll upset Titans. Jones is still meh to blah, but Daboll got a lot out of a fairly talentless roster (other than Barkley). Carolina, Dallas and Bears next.  ⬆️

Bears - Likely their Super Bowl versus 49ers, and might not win another game, but they deserve the up arrow. ⬆️

Eagles - Decent against Lions but could be a mirage. Will reserve judgment until next week's Vikings game.

Raiders - Adams is a problem, but so is Carr. They have improved overall, lost a close game at LAC, but something about Vegas seems off.  ↔️

Saints - They beat the Falcons, but not in a good way. That defense. Woof. Tampa game will be interesting. ↔️

Tampa Bay - They beat the Cowboys, but not in a good way. Offense looks old and slow.  Saints game will be interesting. ↔️

49ers - Trey wasn't good, but neither was the Chicago weather. No excuses, should have won, but will reserve judgement. ↔️

Colts - Ryan 352 yards, Taylor - 161 yards, dominated all other stats but looked like the lesser team versus Texans. Weird.  ↔️ 

Commanders - They beat the Jaguars. That's about all of the good news.  ↔️

Steelers - Won a strange game versus Cincy, but may as well pull trigger at QB because the defense will have issues if Watt is out for significant time. ↔️

Browns - Needed 58 yarder to beat Panthers. Watson is no doubt a much better QB, but I don't see a tough team. ↔️ 

Texans - They could be in a lot of close games, but might not win any of them.  Credit Lovie for the opportunity to pull off the Colts upset. ↗️

Lions - Like the Texans, Detriot might not win many games, but Dan Campbell seems to be moving the team in the right direction. ↗️

Falcons - Hung tough against Saints. A few talented players but very thin roster. Where was Kyle Pitts?  Rams game could get ugly but that's next week.  ↔️

Panthers - Good comeback vs Browns, and could have won. Not sure what to take from this game. ↔️

Jaguars - Same as above. ↔️

Bengals - Looked like last year's Bills-Steelers opener. Steelers defense came ready and Cincy still in pre-season form. Probably a fluke. ↔️

Rams - Got mauled in the second half. Strange that Super Bowl champs seem to lack an identity. Could get straight versus Falcons and Cards. ⬇️

Titans - Fluke or trend?  Giants are not good but Tennessee couldn't seem to put it together. Play like that against the Bills and it could be over at halftime.  ⬇️

Cowboys - Oh boy, where to start? How about, their QB is out for weeks and it might not matter that much. ⬇️

Packers - Vikings look to be a pretty good team but Holy Hell, the Pack looked terrible. Lucky to have CHI, NE, NYG, NYJ and Washington in next six games. ⬇️

Cardinals - Losing Watt and Hopkins hurt vs Chiefs, but not as bad as the coaching. Good luck with Murray's contract. Raiders and Rams are next.  ⬇️

Patriots - Mac Jones is the best average QB in the league. And now hurt. What is this team?  Are six wins possible?  ⬇️

Jets - Still a very bad team. Flacco threw 59 times against Ravens. His arm might fall off. When will the Jets win?  Next they travel to Browns. 🤡

Max, a small suggestion, just chg the title each week and go to page and you could own this for 18 weeks.  It’s a good thread so why recreate it each week.

I think my takeaway is there are several teams in this league that can't score. 

Carolina, Pittsburgh, Bears, Texans, Broncos, Patriots, Cowboys, Bengals. 

It is painful watching Seattle try to play NFL Football now.

The Colts have to be wondering what happened? 

The Browns are bad again, struggling against poor teams. 

It looks like a league of have and have nots - but the Bills, Chiefs, Dolphins, Eagles, heck even the Lions, are able to score. 

19 minutes ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

I think my takeaway is there are several teams in this league that can't score. 

Carolina, Pittsburgh, Bears, Texans, Broncos, Patriots, Cowboys, Bengals. 

It is painful watching Seattle try to play NFL Football now.

The Colts have to be wondering what happened? 

The Browns are bad again, struggling against poor teams. 

It looks like a league of have and have nots - but the Bills, Chiefs, Dolphins, Eagles, heck even the Lions, are able to score. 

The Lions also have Jameison Williams to come. If they just had a secondary. They are good up front on both sides. They have two nice backs, a solid tight end and a terrific young slot receiver. And Goff is playing pretty well. Their secondary is the one big problem area. Obviously you would want to upgrade at QB too but in that conference they don't need an upgrade at QB to be a playoff team. They might need a corner though. Man Jeff Okudah has been such a disappointment. I was really high on him. 

Edited by GunnerBill

16 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

The Lions also have Jameison Williams to come. If they just had a secondary. They are good up front on both sides. They have two nice backs, a solid tight end and a terrific young slot receiver. And Goff is playing pretty well. Their secondary is the one big problem area. Obviously you would want to upgrade at QB too but in that conference they don't need an upgrade at QB to be a playoff team. They might need a corner though. Man Jeff Okudah has been such a disappointment. I was really high on him. 

Especially with Swift being concussed and generally not impressive his first couple of years in the league. 

Marvin Jones and Kenny Golladay leave, and St. Brown comes in and is better than both of them, and Chark looks like a FA hit. 

20 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

That Thanksgiving game is actually going to be interesting.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.