Trubisky named Steelers' captain

Inigo Montoya

25 minutes ago, Doc said:

And bench him for whom?  Rudolph, since Pickett couldn't even win the backup QB job.  lol...weo.

The consensus over there in Steeler land seems to be that Mitch start because if he gets the hook, Pickett goes in a a much better scenario for their future QB then to have him go in behind that O-line, struggle and then fall back on Trubisky.  

11 minutes ago, CSBill said:

Good for you, Mitch Trubisky. I hope it goes well, except when you play in Buffalo in October

fear not.

3 hours ago, StHustle said:

I think you’ll be surprised. Mitch is a very solid QB and will finally be able to show that.

I absolutely wish him well !

But he is likely showcasing for his next team this year. No way they can keep that rookie on the bench.
 Should be interesting with that O line. Is Mitch the sacrificial lamb till they get it together ? Hope not
Go Mitch !

2 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

The consensus over there in Steeler land seems to be that Mitch start because if he gets the hook, Pickett goes in a a much better scenario for their future QB then to have him go in behind that O-line, struggle and then fall back on Trubisky. 

So they'll go from QB1 to QB3?  Seems by naming Rudolph QB2 he'd be the next to go in...and he'll fare just as poorly if not worse.  Pickett appears to be who they will turn to when they're out of the running, and considering there are 2 better teams in their division alone, never mind how many other better teams in the AFC, it appears to a no-win situation for whoever they put in there.  The question is, is Pickett any good/better?

Edited by Doc

5 hours ago, ColoradoBills said:

Steelers have a new IOL.  If they play well enough to give Mitch time, I feel he will succeed.

They open on the road against the Bengals and then home against the Pats.

That ought to tell a lot about how they can play.

They also have an extremely good RB.  It won't be all on Mitch

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Malazan said:

Zach Wilson was named captain for the Jets..

Tua named captain for the Dolphins..

Amazing that we live in a time with so many QBs being such great leaders.. and it's not at all a default for the QB

I think it's credited to the fact anyone around football (fan/coach/player) will tell you right out that without a QB you are wasting time.

Also from high school forward coaches encourage their QBs to be the leader of the team, even above being "one of the guys". 

4 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

Their O-line stinks.  Not good for the Mitchster

imo, and as pointed out on sirius XM (one of the smarter shows - not like a doofus like charlie weiss), THIS is exactly the reason it was always gonna be Mitch trubisky to start.

Why ruin Pickett's development?  Not until he perfects the line calls and the quick pass game. 

Why turn Pickett into Trent-ative when you dont have to?

4 minutes ago, maddenboy said:

imo, and as pointed out on sirius XM (one of the smarter shows - not like a doofus like charlie weiss), THIS is exactly the reason it was always gonna be Mitch trubisky to start.

Why ruin Pickett's development?  Not until he perfects the line calls and the quick pass game. 

It was always going to be Mitch because he's better than Pickett is.  Whether Pickett turns out to be anything remains to be seen.

10 hours ago, maddenboy said:

9 hours ago, Doc said:

It was always going to be Mitch because he's better than Pickett is.  Whether Pickett turns out to be anything remains to be seen.

This is what I was trying to explain to doc.  Seems to be the consensus opinion in their fanbase.  They would rather have Trubisky start and if he tanks, replace him with the rookie than the other way around. 

10 hours ago, stuvian said:

I won't judge him on what happened in the QB graveyard known as Chicago but dink and dunk won't get it done in Steeltown

I actually think dink and dunk is Matt Canada’s style of offense— lots of quick passing. Plus, their line remains awful, so they are almost going to have to rely on short passes.

people ripped on Ben R losing it, but his line and coordinator didn’t really help him out. There was one game when they were coming from behind against the Colts in 2020 (and ended up winning), and Ben R called all his own plays, and was chucking it 40+ Yards down field. 

18 hours ago, ddaryl said:

Him being named Captain means he's earned the respect of the coaches and the team... 

I'm happy for him.

I think the starting QB is the Captain on every team?  I could easily be wrong.

Which Starting QB is not a Captain on their team?

Congratulations on Mitch earning the Starting job!!  I wish him the best and hope he is very successful!

35 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

This is what I was trying to explain to doc.  Seems to be the consensus opinion in their fanbase.  They would rather have Trubisky start and if he tanks, replace him with the rookie than the other way around. 

Their fanbase also probably thought Pickett would be named the backup, at least.  Instead they named Rudolph.  Seems like he'd go in next, especially If Trubisky is struggling because of the OL.  You wouldn't want your raw rookie getting shellacked as the OL play isn't going to magically improve just because he's in there.

Mike Tomlin has NEVER has a losing season in Pittsburgh. If he can maintain that record this year with Trubisky under center, he'll be a coach of the year candidate. Not knocking Mitch, but he's not had a winning season. The Steelers O-Line looks dreadful,  and top RB Harris has been dealing with a Lisfranc sprain in his foot that has limited his pre-season. More likely Mitch lasts about 6/7 games before giving way to Pickett.    

33 minutes ago, Ross Murdock said:

Mike Tomlin has NEVER has a losing season in Pittsburgh. If he can maintain that record this year with Trubisky under center, he'll be a coach of the year candidate. Not knocking Mitch, but he's not had a winning season. The Steelers O-Line looks dreadful,  and top RB Harris has been dealing with a Lisfranc sprain in his foot that has limited his pre-season. More likely Mitch lasts about 6/7 games before giving way to Pickett.    

He actually had a winning record as a starter his last 3 seasons in Chicago and the team made the playoffs in his 2nd season.

• Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.