Week 1: Bills at Rams on TNF in NFL Kickoff Game

YoloinOhio

57 minutes ago, eball said:

Yep, they fooled me last year with that poor start.  I think it was a learning experience, as they were coming off an unexpected AFCC game appearance and probably took things a bit for granted.

I don't believe that happens this year.

I'd like to think that McDermott has things dialed in this year. Until the Arazia situation and preseason week 3 all signs looked like we were about to hit the ground running.

Last year, when the Bills were hot they could almost anyone at their best. The glaring exception to this was the Chiefs. The problem was the games when not everything clicked.

Believe me, all signs we saw from Jackson, Elam and Benford were very positive. If anything, I feel like the offense was even more explosive when we saw the starters. I fully expect us to roll the Titans in Week 2, it's just that we are coming into a road game against a legitimately good opponent that makes it chaotic. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Scheming up corner play is mcd’s specialty, fortunately. I’m not saying it will be successful here but wouldn’t be surprised if it is good enough. Rams have their own issues with corner depth and pass rush off the edge, and the Bills have a deeper WR group for them to deal with. I also think the middle of the field with Knox and Mckenzie will be there. Bottom line is that while it’s fair to expect the outside corners to be targeted and take some lumps, it’s also fair to expect this offense to make up for it. And Taron should not be expected to totally shut down Kupp in the slot but certainly should have his share of success against him. 

the rams only beat 2 playoff teams in the regular season last year - AZ (1-1) and Tampa. Great run in the playoffs but not invincible 

While the Bills rookie CB tandem is a concern to me. The greater concern for me is how that Bills will contain Aaron Donald. He got to Allen in their last meeting in 2020 causing and recovering a fumble.

The Jags Josh Allen was in the Bills Josh Allen's face all game last season in week 9 and the result was a 6-9 loss.

I recall the Patriots / Rams SB in which Donald had only one hit on Brady all game because they triple teamed him. 

This game will go on how well the Bills can keep their QB protected. If Josh has the time...I almost feel bad for the Rams...almost!

I saw in a different thread @FilthyBeastsay the game is not that important for a successful season .. and to a point he is correct, however the Rams play the AFC West this year and with all four teams having playoff hopes the record vs common opponents could come into play. Hopefully we will have such a great record it will not matter, but ….

6 minutes ago, CorkScrewHill said:

I saw in a different thread @FilthyBeastsay the game is not that important for a successful season .. and to a point he is correct, however the Rams play the AFC West this year and with all four teams having playoff hopes the record vs common opponents could come into play. Hopefully we will have such a great record it will not matter, but ….

It’s one of the 5 least important. To your point it’s likely more important than the nfc north games due to the crossover potential tie breaker. But if I had to choose one of the first 6 games to lose this is #1. 

• Like (+1) 1

15 hours ago, TheProcess said:

I agree that McD and Frazier will have some different wrinkles for them. They know how good McVay is as a play caller and how good their offense is. Should also keep in mind that Stafford will give this secondary some opportunities for turnovers too. Not saying he is a bad or reckless QB at all, but he does take some chances. DBs have to be ready to capitalize on it if given the opportunity. 

He takes a lot of chances when a D-lineman is in his face.  His new starting RG play is going to be big.  If the Bills can consistently beat Coleman Sheldon,

then Stafford will have a D-lineman in his face.  One of my "keys to the game".

If McDermott, Frazier and Washington can exploit this it will help even out the Darnold factor from the other side. 

• Like (+1) 1