OJ Howard

Warriorspikes51

4 hours ago, Wayne Arnold said:

He's brand new to this offensive system. Sometimes it takes guys time.

Howard is a great physical talent. His contract this year is fully guaranteed. Those two reasons alone likely means he's safe.

Should keep Knox, Howard and Morris. Sweeney is as good as he's ever going to be, which isn't good enough.

Hes a dead cap hit if we cut.

7 hours ago, gonzo1105 said:

He has been good at doing the smaller things. I said a couple of weeks ago that he should really be expected to be Lee Smith at this point, which is great. He’s a good blocker, have him catch some red zone TDs.

I've seen Lee Smith block.   OJ Howard is no Lee Smith.

2 hours ago, machine gun kelly said:

I can’t remember the name of the guest who was on with Joe on the extra point show, but he made good points that Howard is a better blocker than Sweeney and is why we brought him in here as well as a big and tough red zone target.

Howard arrived with a reputation as a good blocker, but I'll be honest - when I've seen him blocking, I've been disappointed.  His blocking form is a lot better than Sweeney, he just doesn't seem to get 'er done. 

Morris went down today with a hammy, so we’ll see.  He is much closer to Knox then the others.  Sweeney is most likely a cut, if a little serious Morris to PUP, and it’s Knox and Howard.

This is a picky point, but PUP is not available to Morris (or anyone) once they take a snap in training camp.  If he's injured, his choices are season-ending IR (if placed on IR during camp) OR, put him on the 53 man roster to start camp then switch him to IR eligible to return.

I *think* we could also waive him injured, but then there are restrictions on when we could re-sign him.

Sweeney is useless.  A nice guy, but looked horrible when he had to step up last year.

I agree with that last, but the coaches are saying he's really improved this camp.

1 minute ago, ddaryl said:

This one hurts.. Spent a lot to bring him in here and didn't get what they were hoping for.

Morris looked decent at blocking and better at receiving.. Sweeney is te question mark

Doesn’t really hurt but I did think he’d be a part of the “new” offense.

Sweeney seems to be a core depth player. I’ve never really seen anything but they like him around.

8 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Doesn’t really hurt but I did think he’d be a part of the “new” offense.

Sweeney seems to be a core depth player. I’ve never really seen anything but they like him around.

From the money perspective since he had a fully guarenteed contract and we're up close against the cap with little room

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, KDIGGZ said:

I don't like getting nothing for him and just eating the guaranteed salary. That seems silly. Nobody would give us a 7th rounder in 2025 for him or something?

If he was singend for the vet minimum maybe, but a fully guarenteed contract that he had kept him out of any possible trade probablilities. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.