OJ Howard

Warriorspikes51

43 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

Okay, I keep hearing most people talking about how Howard hasn't shown anything and many seem to want him cut or traded if there's any takers.

Am I alone in thinking he actually looked sneaky good?

He's shown good blocking.  He's been lined up out wide and the few times he was thrown the ball he made plays including the TD.

in Carolina he had a red zone route where he absolutely exploded off the snap

I see him as being TE2 and a regular factor in red zone due to his size.  

I would also keep Morris

Thoughts? 

He's brand new to this offensive system. Sometimes it takes guys time.

Howard is a great physical talent. His contract this year is fully guaranteed. Those two reasons alone likely means he's safe.

Should keep Knox, Howard and Morris. Sweeney is as good as he's ever going to be, which isn't good enough.

• Agree 4

My belief is Howard and Morris

Sweeney has peaked... Morris shows decent blocking and very good at receiving / running routes. Howard shows he can block well and thats what we need for those 2 TE sets, Plus he could be an asset inside the 20

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

He’s the perfect TE2. When we got him I thought he could be TE1B but he’s not looking like that. He’s a good blocker and a large target. He’ll be better in the pass game with better talent around him. 

I would keep Knox, Howard, and Morris. 

He was a complete non factor going against 3rd stringers but I’m supposed to believe he’ll produce more when he’s going against starters and guys like Diggs, Davis, McKenzie and Knox are dominating the target share? 

I think his last 2 years with the Bucs or likely what you’re going to get and it’s not much. 

Edited by Bangarang

He has been good at doing the smaller things. I said a couple of weeks ago that he should really be expected to be Lee Smith at this point, which is great. He’s a good blocker, have him catch some red zone TDs. 

The problem is everyone was expecting the 1st round explosive Alabama OJ Howard so that’s where the huge disappointment comes in. People feel like they were sold a bag of goods on him. People feel like Morris can stretch the seams more downfield. 

Basing everything on his playing time in pre-season - he's garbage and should be cut.  

Based on camp rumors?  I would say they are challenging him to secure a role as the primary TE2 for specific game packages.  They want some flexibility to split out wide, and they want him to block.  

I think they'll keep a 3rd as a reserve more for the primary knox role in the offense. 

• Like (+1) 2

Even after the Bills eating $700k after a trade involving Howard, I just don't think Beane can find a team to bite.

If he does it will be in the next 24 hours.

Howard probably sticks as others have said for 2 TE sets and they keep Morris (who will not dress in a lot of games) as a Knox

replacement if he gets dinged up.  Morris has much more upside I believe than Sweeney.

That being said the Bills can't be happy with Howards overall play in camp/preseason.  I know I'm not.  He hasn't performed for the

money they laid out on his contract.

Sweeney might get claimed and if he does Beane will need to find another TE for the PS.

1 minute ago, In Summary said:

Asking a question here:  Where does Reggie Gilliam fit into any TE role/depth?  Is he at best just a duplicate in blocking for Howard and Sweeney or does he offer more?  

I'm going by the Dorsey presser a couple of weeks ago.  He said he wants Gilliam as a true FB only.  He wasn't using him in TE sets at all.

• Like (+1) 1

Howard will be TE 2, he was never in danger of being cut, he is better overall than his competition, add in the cash hit for releasing him and it becomes obvious, 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Forlorn hope said:

I think Morris is clearly the better athlete and Sweeney is the better blocker and cheaper. They will try to trade him or just dfr him for depth

Howard’s contract is already guaranteed. If cut, he counts the same.  The only cap space in doubt is $255k total in per game active roster bonuses. If they don’t want him, the Bills would be better off trading him even if they had to eat some salary. 

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/oj-howard-21760/

1 minute ago, ScottLaw said:

Honestly they should be scrounging the waiver wire as Howard, Sweeney and Morris are all scrubs at this point… Out of all 3 I’d keep Howard. 

The Great Talent Evaluator has spoken!

• Haha (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Honestly they should be scrounging the waiver wire as Howard, Sweeney and Morris are all scrubs at this point… Out of all 3 I’d keep Howard. 

Morris has a chance to develop.  I mean there was a lot of this board calling Knox "a scrub" at the start of last season.  'member?

1 minute ago, ColoradoBills said:

Morris has a chance to develop.  I mean there was a lot of this board calling Knox "a scrub" at the start of last season.  'member?

I think there's a reason that when Morris was obviously in pain, both McDermott and Beane hustled over to check on him.

I don't think it's because he's not in their plans.

• Agree 1

4 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

It would not surprise me in the least if @ScottLaw was "ready to move on" from Dawson Knox after his 2nd season.

5 hours ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

Okay, I keep hearing most people talking about how Howard hasn't shown anything and many seem to want him cut or traded if there's any takers.

Am I alone in thinking he actually looked sneaky good?

He's shown good blocking.  He's been lined up out wide and the few times he was thrown the ball he made plays including the TD.

in Carolina he had a red zone route where he absolutely exploded off the snap

I see him as being TE2 and a regular factor in red zone due to his size.  

I would also keep Morris

Thoughts? 

I can’t remember the name of the guest who was on with Joe on the extra point show, but he made good points that Howard is a better blocker than Sweeney and is why we brought him in here as well as a big and tough red zone target.

Morris went down today with a hammy, so we’ll see.  He is much closer to Knox then the others.  Sweeney is most likely a cut, if a little serious Morris to PUP, and it’s Knox and Howard.

Howard may not have the explosiveness he had at Alabama, but if he can be what I described above, he can help.

Sweeney is useless.  A nice guy, but looked horrible when he had to step up last year.

Thats my gut.  I’m not saying I’m right, just my POV.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.