Raheem Blackshear Overreaction/Hype

jwhit34

9 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

I’m re-watching the Broncos game right now I don’t know man blackshear looks really good he has no wasted motion doesn’t take a negative play and appears to be able to do it all in both the run and the pass I realize that he is going against grocery clerks in the future but

He should get a lot of work on Friday. Friday will actually be very interesting in terms of usage for a lot of players.

Edited by That's No Moon

I've said this in other posts. But this concept of "there's no way we can sneak him on the Practice Squad" makes me laugh.

There are UDFA RB's across the league who have looked good late in Pre-Season games while playing against other UDFA's/Late Rounders/Practice Squad/Future Cut Players.

No team that felt he wasn't worth Drafting in 7 Rounds is going to look at what he did in the 3rd and 4th Quarters of Pre-Season games after Singletary, Cook, Moss, and Johnson got their carries on another team and say "I must sign this man to my 53 man roster!"

Every season, fans fall in love with a fringe roster player and work themselves up into thinking we can't sneak them on the Practice Squad. Seldom if ever are they given roster spots on other teams.

It's been talked about all offseason that "difficult decisions" will have to be made given the strength of our roster. This isn't even one of them. Gone are the years of a UDFA impressing late in games and earning a spot because the open spots don't really exist on this team anymore.

Every year since McDermott has been here, he's kept 3 True RB's (Singletary, Cook, and Moss), a core Special Teams RB (Jones, who isn't going anywhere no matter how hard certain fans want it), and a FB (Gilliam).

Of those 3 True RB's, McDermott only dresses 2 on Game Day and the 3rd (whether it was Matt Breida or T.J. Yeldon before him) only dresses if there's an injury or poor play from one of the normal 2. So there's no way they're going to carry more than 3 when the 3rd doesn't even play.

Long story short, he's earned the right to replace Antonio Williams on our Practice Squad. In the EXTREMELY unlikely chance that Blackshear was scooped up, they'd probably be thrilled for him getting a better opportunity elsewhere than he would here. They'd look to bring back Duke (who's above Blackshear on the depth chart, has looked just as good, if not better, scoring 2 TD's last week and showing Return ability) or sign another RB to the Practice Squad and not lose any sleep.

Edited by BillsFanForever19
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 2

23 hours ago, jwhit34 said:

Underdog stories, especially RBs and WRs, seem to be a tradition unlike any other for Bills fans, and probably fans of most other teams. 

This year is no different. In the tradition of Da'Rick Rogers, Naaman Roosevelt, Brandon Reilly, Dez Lewis, Joique Bell, Cierre Wood, Christian Wade, Antonio Williams and of course Duke Williams, this year we have Raheem Blackshear.

Raheem Blackshear is a nice story. UDFA, comes in and does well in the first two preseason games, doing a lot to at least make it a tough decision on cutdown day for the Bills. But this is a story we see almost every year. 

Let's look at this objectively in terms of making the roster and what he could potentially provide to the team:

In terms of running ability:

• He is not a more accomplished runner than Devin Singletary
  • He is not a more powerful or effective short yardage runner than Zack Moss
  • He is not faster or a better pass catching back than James Cook

In terms of special teams:

• He is not better than Taiwan Jones
  • He is at best in the mix in terms of kick returner but one cannot make a case that he is by far the best return man

If all of that is accurate, then he is perfect for the practice squad. Remember, every team in the NFL passed on him for all 7 rounds. Sure, there are UDFAs that make it, but a good showing in preseason games vs. 2nd, 3rd and 4th stringers will not change the minds of many (any?) NFL GMs. Go to the ESPN Scores page and scroll through and see who led each game in rushing. There were a lot of Blackshear-esque performances by guys you never heard of. 

Blackshear is a nice story, but I expect him to be on the practice squad.

J, well said as it’s Antonio Williams, Duke Williams, Christian Wade, 5.0.

Hes a nice practice squad guy.  To keep in perspective, he had starting linemen blowing holes for him against their backups.  He’s not doing the same against starters in the league.

• Agree 1

18 hours ago, mrags said:

this whole argument for me with everyone here isn’t even about Blackshear. It’s the point that STs is a waste of a roster position. I don’t care who it is. LB. WR. RB. DB. Any position. I’ll take an extra player at any position vs just a guy that runs down on kickoffs. Hell, I would rather kick the damn kickoff out of bounds and give it to our opponents at the 40 every single time we score, and count on our defense to hold them instead of giving scrubs like Kumerow and Jones jobs. They are useless on this team and good for almost nothing. 

I didnt like any of your arguments but I was willing to read them... This one made me laugh - "... would rather kick the damn kickoff out of bounds..."  HAHA. You should become a GM -- you can take Beane's spot

13 hours ago, ColoradoBills said:

He's an UDFA playing very well.  I don't understand why you only put up the stats you did.

Colts:

6 rushes-11 yards rushing (like you pointed out) but how about the rest?

4 Catches - 60 yards

2 KR and 1 PR

1 solo tackle on ST.

Broncos:

5 rushes - 58 yards

2 catches - 21 yards

1 KR

The young man has done well in camp and preseason and for sure deserves at least a PS spot and a chance to compete for RB3 next year.

He has already shown he can perform and do what the coaches have asked him to do.

If others hype him more than you think he deserves that's cool but at least give him props for what he has done.

I was talking about as a runner that’s why, because I’ve seen people suggest trading our other RBs to keep him on the active 53…and not just Moss (who is someone that could get traded), but trades of Devin and even Cook.

Im in no way against him, and like his potential too, and if he doesn’t make the roster I’m certain he will be on the PS.  

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, HereComesTheReignAgain said:

So far I’ve seen Blackshear compared to Thurman Thomas and Tom Brady. It really is ridiculous.  

Delusions of Grandeur

1 hour ago, machine gun kelly said:

J, well said as it’s Antonio Williams, Duke Williams, Christian Wade, 5.0.

Hes a nice practice squad guy.  To keep in perspective, he had starting linemen blowing holes for him against their backups.  He’s not doing the same against starters in the league.

Exactly... Name a RB that struggled against Denver?

14 hours ago, badassgixxer05 said:

Blackshear isnt making it to the practice squad. He will be on an active roster somewhere if he shows out again in a third game. If we want to stash him, we should probably not play him much in the 3rd game. lol

I mean there is always guys you are rooting for to make it. Hogan actually did. The other guys had little to no chance. Blackshear does.

Hogan was a WR4 maybe WR3 at for a little guy which is great for any guy trying to make the NFL. Fans acted like he was the 2nd coming of Wes Welker and his loss was something huge when in the grand scheme it really wasn't.

4 minutes ago, corta765 said:

Hogan was a WR4 maybe WR3 at for a little guy which is great for any guy trying to make the NFL. Fans acted like he was the 2nd coming of Wes Welker and his loss was something huge when in the grand scheme it really wasn't.

Donald Jones and David Nelson were starting WRs for the Bills at one point... Cant blame fans for thinking Hogan was good. We hadnt seen good WRs in a long long time. lol 

Just now, badassgixxer05 said:

Donald Jones and David Nelson were starting WRs for the Bills at one point... Cant blame fans for thinking Hogan was good. We hadnt seen good WRs in a long long time. lol 

Lol I loved David Nelson, my wife did too although for an entirely different reason hahaha

38 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

Don’t forget that Austin Ekeler was an undrafted free agent. He only got a chance because Melvin Gordon held out.

Sometimes you have to roll the dice on these late-round and undrafted RBs. 

Correct. He got a shot because they were a bad roster with open spots on the depth chart. We have 4 different RB's that are above him on the depth chart and saw the field before he did in Pre-Season.

He's not getting a spot above Singletary, Cook, or Moss. With what Duke Johnson has shown on Goal Lines and Return (in more important playing time), I don't think they'd even keep Blackshear over him. And he's probably not going to make the roster either.

Blackshear has a spot on this team. It's the Practice Squad. He'll be released, unclaimed, and be back for development.

People need to learn to stop falling in love with fringe prospects performances in the Pre-Season against other fringe prospects. There's a reason they're playing that late in the game. And that's they aren't valued by the team as much as other players. Blackshear is 2022's Christian Wade or Antonio Williams and his role on this team will be the same as theirs.

Edited by BillsFanForever19

1 hour ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

Don’t forget that Austin Ekeler was an undrafted free agent. He only got a chance because Melvin Gordon held out.

Sometimes you have to roll the dice on these late-round and undrafted RBs. 

We all know that productive RB's can be found anywhere (though Beane has expended early draft picks on 3 of them).

Are you predicting that Blackshear is another Austin Ekeler? 

Ekeler earned his job on a lesser roster than the one the Bills have now but more importantly he excelled both at RB and on special teams.

The route to making this opening week 53 man roster for Blackshear and Duke Johnson is to not only produce at RB but to push Taiwan Jones off the roster with their special teams play.

Edited by BADOLBILZ
Blackshear edit

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.