Ah, yes...youth sports

\GoBillsInDallas/

I loved the days of my kids youth sports……….and I hated the days of my kids youth sports.

Basketball was terrible, and AAU basketball was the absolute worst of them all. Refs would stop play at times until there were police inside the gym. What are we teaching our children? The parents are worse than the kids! 

I have been immersed in the world of youth sports for a few years now, and I haven't seen this yet (still got time)

Hockey gets a bad rep, but so far its been pretty clear sailing and well-regulated.  Bad actors and their kids are normally culled from the respected organizations.  Baseball on the other hand in WNY is a snake pit of awfulness.

17 minutes ago, Augie said:

I loved the days of my kids youth sports……….and I hated the days of my kids youth sports.

Basketball was terrible, and AAU basketball was the absolute worst of them all. Refs would stop play at times until there were police inside the gym. What are we teaching our children? The parents are worse than the kids! 

About 20 years ago, I tried my hand at refereeing wrestling.  The parents were horrible.  I had one father get in my face at a PEE WEE wrestling tournament.  We're talking elementary school, here.  This was early-mid morning and the guy reeked of alcohol.

I had one mother rip me a new one after a match in which her son got pinned.  I told her that he probably felt bad enough for getting pinned ... and that she was just making it worse.

I also dealt with horrible sportsmanship by one middle school wrestler, who I kicked out of the gym and sent to the locker room.  His coach was sitting right next to him as the kid chanted, "bulllll shiiiit"  over and over again from the side of the mat.  After kicking the kid out, I looked at the coach and told him he needs to do better.

This was all in one season.  That was all I needed to say see ya!

Edited by Gugny
I corrected my spelling before any pricks could point out my mistake.
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

4 minutes ago, Gugny said:

About 20 years ago, I tried my hand at refereeing wrestling.  The parents were horrible.  I had one father get in my face at a PEE WEE wrestling tournament.  We're talking elementary school, here.  This was early-mid morning and the guy wreaked of alcohol.

I had one mother rip me a new one after a match in which her son got pinned.  I told her that he probably felt bad enough for getting pinned ... and that she was just making it worse.

I also dealt with horrible sportsmanship by one middle school wrestler, who I kicked out of the gym and sent to the locker room.  His coach was sitting right next to him as the kid chanted, "bulllll shiiiit"  over and over again from the side of the mat.  After kicking the kid out, I looked at the coach and told him he needs to do better.

This was all in one season.  That was all I needed to say see ya!

While in high school our boys would ref the little kids games. One 45 year old dad/coach got so riled up he got his second T and our “child” had to have him removed from the gym. I knew who the real child was there. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, teef said:

I feel I have the luxury of knowing  my kids will never go pro or division 1 in anything. 

Same here. 

I feel guilty sometimes, but I actually steer my kids away from playing youth sports. My elementary school boys play basketball, but nothing else. I don’t really have the time to chauffeur them all around or kill our evenings and summers on youth sports. 

I figure they can mess around playing in gym, neighborhood sorts of games, and then if they really get into something later on, can see about getting them involved in a reasonable way. 

maybe this is old fashioned, but when I was kid, I didn’t do all these organized sports. I played pickup bball, pickup football, tennis in the park, backyard baseball. I did little league for a few years when older and some rec bball in middle school.

i just don’t get the travel league youth sports starting from age 6. Seems like a waste of time. 

Some parents are the absolute worst. I coach in rec leagues for my kids. Some parents put such emotional stress on these kids, all for nothing. They're just dumping their own insecurities onto their children. And their so disrespectful while doing it.

Just have fun, be positive, and try every sport under the sun until you find what your kid likes the most. Your kid will do the rest and be successful on their own terms. That'll pay dividends for their future success.

• Like (+1) 1

In my experience, poor fan behavior increased this year compared to before the COVID shut down/parent lockout year. I had to throw four people out of a flipping middle school track meet this year for constant verbal abuse of meet officials. A track meet! Middle school!!!!

Basketball was a giant mess, court invasions, near riots of people trying to come into sold out games, referee abuse out of hand.

Id like to say hockey was better, but it wasn't. Parents kicked out for ref abuse, entire student sections removed for boorish behavior at high school games, brawls between opposing student sections. 

Edited by That's No Moon

On 7/21/2022 at 3:46 PM, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

Same here. 

I feel guilty sometimes, but I actually steer my kids away from playing youth sports. My elementary school boys play basketball, but nothing else. I don’t really have the time to chauffeur them all around or kill our evenings and summers on youth sports. 

maybe this is old fashioned, but when I was kid, I didn’t do all these organized sports. I played pickup bball, pickup football, tennis in the park, backyard baseball. I did little league for a few years when older and some rec bball in middle school.

i just don’t get the travel league youth sports starting from age 6. Seems like a waste of time. 

Way back in the day in Lewiston, the rec baseball and basketball leagues were much more low key.  The kids in the older leagues were the coaches AND the 

officials for the younger kids.  The only adults involved were the employees of the  recreation  dept, and they had the keys to the equipment storage room.

I  have officiated soccer  for 20+ years and have only had 2  or 3 incidents.

• Like (+1) 1

• 3 weeks later...
1 minute ago, Warcodered said:

Great moment unless you're some kind of douchebag.

FZvNkWKXEAAsWR0?format=jpg&name=large

Wow, that attitude epitomizes every d-bag parent any of us has come across in a youth sports league.

The parents of both the pitcher who was distraught and the batter who consoled him have a lot to be proud of. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 3

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.