Buffalo Sabres and NHL 2022-2023

SDS

1 hour ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

Plus Bylsma, Housley and Krueger 🤮 

All bad but all there as fallout from Murray.

1 hour ago, Doc said:

True but even Murray couldn't have *****-up that pick if the Sabres had gotten the 1st overall pick.

But he may still have surrounded him with a disjointed roster of malcontents and a psychotic goalie.

3 hours ago, T&C said:

Portillo showed last year that he wasn't going to sign with the Sabres.  Likely because of Devon Levi.  It's good they got something for him.

2 hours ago, 4merper4mer said:

But he may still have surrounded him with a disjointed roster of malcontents and a psychotic goalie.

For a time.  Until he got fired.

10 minutes ago, Doc said:

Portillo showed last year that he wasn't going to sign with the Sabres.  Likely because of Devon Levi.  It's good they got something for him.

For a time.  Until he got fired.

From what was reported it sounds like he made it clear recently that he wasn't planning to sign here before turning UFA. A 3rd is better than i expected in return. I wonder if he gave an indication he would sign in LA or if they are just taking the chance?

How weird is it that the last 2 college goalies that refused to sign in Buffalo both ended up in LA? lol

I remember i was bummed at the time when we lost Peterson. and for a minute it looked like he was going to be a good NHL goalie. But then he signed that big contract and has sucked ever since.

wow that was way less than i was expecting. Armstrong held out that long for this? haha

Not sure why the sabres wouldnt match this if they were really as interested in Chychrun as kept being rumored. Unless they did offer the same and arizona went with OTT's 1st instead. Or maybe they didn't want to give up their 2023 1st and wanted to send a 2024 1st instead? it looks like a deep draft.

Or maybe they weren't as interested as the rumors said. Honestly, I never fully understood the Sabres supposed interest in him. He's a good player for sure but do the sabres really need to give up prime assets for yet another LH defenseman with dahlin and power? I don't think chychrun plays as good on the right side. It would have made for a pretty damn stacked defense though!

Get me a goalie instead!

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, QCity said:

This might interest some cord-cutters 

MSG Networks to offer new streaming service

I heard they were coming out with a streaming service but i was hoping it would be much more reasonably priced. I was hoping for maybe $10/mo.

$30 a month is just ridiculous.

I wish they would offer some type of discounted package for only the sabres broadcasts.

I wish ESPN+ showed in-market sabres games. I recently decided to try it out for a month since there were 5 sabres games exclusively on espn+ this month and i am really enjoying it. Tons of hockey games every night. But i'd have to use a VPN to get the sabres games that are on MSG since i am in market.

I still have cable. I've been waiting for a decent option for sabres games. This ain't really it. lol But i guess at least it's an alternative to cable.

9 hours ago, BillsFan4 said:

wow that was way less than i was expecting. Armstrong held out that long for this? haha

Not sure why the sabres wouldnt match this if they were really as interested in Chychrun as kept being rumored. Unless they did offer the same and arizona went with OTT's 1st instead. Or maybe they didn't want to give up their 2023 1st and wanted to send a 2024 1st instead? it looks like a deep draft.

Or maybe they weren't as interested as the rumors said. Honestly, I never fully understood the Sabres supposed interest in him. He's a good player for sure but do the sabres really need to give up prime assets for yet another LH defenseman with dahlin and power? I don't think chychrun plays as good on the right side. It would have made for a pretty damn stacked defense though!

Get me a goalie instead!

I agree, i did not understand the fascination with this guy. I know he has two years left, but all hockey players really only get one chance at a big payday...do ya think an offensive-minded Dman was gunna be happy not playing on the PP?  And sure as chit aint taking 25 or 26 off one of those units. Seen many on Twitter saying well, if Sens can't sign him they can trade him and recoup the first, problem there is I am pretty sure he has a NMC kicks in after this year. 

He was an offensive minded, injury-challenged left shot DMan when the Sabres need to shore up their D presence with preferably a Right shot.. I think this was a good no get

9 hours ago, BillsFan4 said:

I heard they were coming out with a streaming service but i was hoping it would be much more reasonably priced. I was hoping for maybe $10/mo.

$30 a month is just ridiculous.

I wish they would offer some type of discounted package for only the sabres broadcasts.

I wish ESPN+ showed in-market sabres games. I recently decided to try it out for a month since there were 5 sabres games exclusively on espn+ this month and i am really enjoying it. Tons of hockey games every night. But i'd have to use a VPN to get the sabres games that are on MSG since i am in market.

I still have cable. I've been waiting for a decent option for sabres games. This ain't really it. lol But i guess at least it's an alternative to cable.

I really hate the ESPN tech. NHL.TV was SOOOO much better. Not only that, but htey carried both the pre and post game shows. ESPN cuts off as soon as game is over.

When I saw this I was excited, but not at $30 a month. Will live with ESPN + and no Duffer and Marty.

And i am guessing they have to keep it high or the carriers that include it in their package would get cranky. I have been a youtube TV guy for just about 4 years now, hate FUBO..but alas no MSG on the sports pack.

Edited by plenzmd1
  • Like (+1) 1

20 hours ago, Buffalo Super Fan said:

That was a bad loss by the Buffalo Sabres at home last night against the Columbus Blue Jackets. Also the Patrick Kane to the New York Rangers trade. The Chicago Blackhawks are a large market team they should never rebuild. Patrick Kane wanted out because of the rebuild that should never have happened. The Chicago Blackhawks got ripped off like the Buffalo Sabres always were before Kevyn Adams took over. Chicago, Toronto, Los Angeles along with New York Islanders should never rebuild. The New York Rangers aren’t winning a Stanley Cup this season but you got to be in the playoffs for a chance to win it.

That is why the Buffalo Sabres owner Terry Pegula is a bum as a sports owner trading off his complete Sabres team for a chance Connor McDavid or Jack Eichel that was completely idiotic. Sacrificing 11 years to get back to where we were before trading Ryan Miller in the hunt for a NHL playoff spot. Face it the Knox Brothers were smarter doing the New York Rangers way of always making the playoffs for a chance at the Stanley Cup then that bum Terry Pegula that some Buffalo fans want to alway give Terry Pegula a pass. We had no chance for 11 years ridiculous just like the current Chicago Blackhawks the son Rocky Wertiz is getting cheap like his father “Dollar Bill” Bill Wirtiz in his old age in my opinion. Go Sabres! Let’s Go Buffalo 

This sounds like it was written by AI, ChatGPT is that you??

• Haha (+1) 3

11 hours ago, BillsFan4 said:

From what was reported it sounds like he made it clear recently that he wasn't planning to sign here before turning UFA. A 3rd is better than i expected in return. I wonder if he gave an indication he would sign in LA or if they are just taking the chance?

How weird is it that the last 2 college goalies that refused to sign in Buffalo both ended up in LA? lol

I remember i was bummed at the time when we lost Peterson. and for a minute it looked like he was going to be a good NHL goalie. But then he signed that big contract and has sucked ever since.

Once Levi was acquired and started dominating, I don't think he ever planned on signing with the Sabres.  He should have signed last year so he had a year's head start on him, but he went back to school.  That told me all I needed to know and I figured the Sabres would lose him for nothing.  I don't blame him but if he can't handle the competition, he won't make it in the NHL.  

And yeah, strange coincidence about him and Peterson and I expect Portillo to have as much success as Peterson.  And I'm sure Florida is regretting trading Levi now that it appears that Spencer Knight is flaming out.

Edited by Doc
  • Like (+1) 2

18 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Keep these hot takes to the Bills discussion.

The NHL is an old man's league. Our team has an average age of like 24. We have multiple stars locked up for the next 7 years. Enjoy the ride.

Until we get NHL caliber goaltending/defense we aren't going anywhere. I know everyone holding out hope for Levi but to me he's like two seasons away from being NHL ready. 

27 minutes ago, The Jokeman said:

Until we get NHL caliber goaltending/defense we aren't going anywhere. I know everyone holding out hope for Levi but to me he's like two seasons away from being NHL ready. 

I'm hoping to see him get a start this season.  Hopefully after a playoff spot has been secured and they can't improve their seeding.

Schedule rest of the way is absolutely brutal. We are long shots to make the playoffs (betting markets have us at +260 right now), but no matter what happens, at least they are fun to watch again. I've watched more sabres games this year than the past 10 years combined.

• Agree 1

20 hours ago, zow2 said:

Last i checked the Sabres had the 2nd best offense in the league.  If they miss the playoffs with that kind of offense, that would be an absolute embarrassment and people should be fired.  There's no guarantee that next season they will be scoring at this clip.  Don't fall into that trap that thinking next year they will ascend even higher.  That's not true.  They should have been all in on trading for a goalie this season...even a rental.  The time is now.

are you saying the time is now to go all in for a goalie? Or all-in in general?

I agree on getting a goalie (though I wouldn’t say I would go all in on one). I’ve been saying for a while now that they need better goaltending. But I’m not sure what’s realistically available. I don’t know that Talbot is on the market anymore after ottawa traded for Chychrun. They’ve been playing better lately too and might prioritize trying to stay in the wildcard race.

There are rumors Demko might be available and that’s a guy I’d love to add. Still young and he was a true #1. But he struggled last season (he didn’t look like a #1)  and this season when he hasn’t been injured. So I’m hesitant to give up what Vancouver would probably want.

Im not sure who else is available. Vejmelka in Arizona? He looks like he has potential but his stats haven’t really been any better than what we have, though he is playing in front of garbage…

I strongly disagree that the time is now to go all in this season in general though. The Sabres are nowhere near that point IMO. The Sabres currently have an 11 year playoff drought and haven’t drafted outside the top 8 in a decade. They are finally just starting to be respectable again. But there’s still tons of growth needed before they are anywhere near contender status.

and The East is just brutal this season. Especially the top few teams in each division. Have you seen how much the top teams in the East have loaded up this deadline? I can’t remember the last time I’ve seen anything like this. It’s insane. There is no chance Buffalo goes on a run in the playoffs this year if they even make it. And to make it even less likely - they likely face Boston in the 1st round if they make the playoffs. They are having an incredible season.

I would like to see them make another small addition at least. But not for a rental at the cost of the future.

3 hours ago, BillsFan4 said:

are you saying the time is now to go all in for a goalie? Or all-in in general?

I agree on getting a goalie (though I wouldn’t say I would go all in on one). I’ve been saying for a while now that they need better goaltending. But I’m not sure what’s realistically available. I don’t know that Talbot is on the market anymore after ottawa traded for Chychrun. They’ve been playing better lately too and might prioritize trying to stay in the wildcard race.

There are rumors Demko might be available and that’s a guy I’d love to add. Still young and he was a true #1. But he struggled last season (he didn’t look like a #1)  and this season when he hasn’t been injured. So I’m hesitant to give up what Vancouver would probably want.

Im not sure who else is available. Vejmelka in Arizona? He looks like he has potential but his stats haven’t really been any better than what we have, though he is playing in front of garbage…

I strongly disagree that the time is now to go all in this season in general though. The Sabres are nowhere near that point IMO. The Sabres currently have an 11 year playoff drought and haven’t drafted outside the top 8 in a decade. They are finally just starting to be respectable again. But there’s still tons of growth needed before they are anywhere near contender status.

and The East is just brutal this season. Especially the top few teams in each division. Have you seen how much the top teams in the East have loaded up this deadline? I can’t remember the last time I’ve seen anything like this. It’s insane. There is no chance Buffalo goes on a run in the playoffs this year if they even make it. And to make it even less likely - they likely face Boston in the 1st round if they make the playoffs. They are having an incredible season.

I would like to see them make another small addition at least. But not for a rental at the cost of the future.

I would not give up really important assets for a rental goalie.  I doubt there's anyone good available anyway.  Half the league is looking for goaltending.  But if they can do something that doesn't cost the future, I'd do it.  More than any other club, it's critical for the Sabres to get in.  Break the drought.  Get that monkey off their backs. The East won't be any easier next year, or beyond. Maybe the Sabres suffer more injuries to important guys next season?.. maybe they aren't one of the best offenses in the NHL?   You just never know.  They are on the cusp of getting in right now.  They should do anything reasonably possible.  I don't care if they'd get smoked in the 1st round.  Just get in!  and no one knows how they would play if the make it.   

I agree that if they can do something to help them make the playoffs and it doesn't jeopardize the future, do it. It would be a huge relief if they can get in. It'd be like when the Bills finally made it. I was ecstatic. When they lost that playoff game, I was disappointed, but not devastated. As one of the posters mentioned, goalie and defensive play will prevent them from making any playoff noise, but it would be fun. 

The Buffalo Sabres better have a guarantee Devon Levi will sign with the Sabres or this Erik Portillo trade with the Los Angeles Kings is a disaster. Also Buffalo Sabres fans wake up no college hockey goalie highly regarded today is going to the minors like Rochester Americans. Ryan Miller times were different there are more NHL teams and not enough starting goalies no goalie any good is going to minors. It’s like asking Josh Allen to play for the XFL ridiculous. That is all the Buffalo Sabres have to offer a big league salary and position. Forget UPL he is a backup goalie in the NHL. This had nothing to do with competition why Portillo didn’t sign with Buffalo this had to do with Buffalo and the Buffalo Sabres old school philosophy of holding players earnings down playing in the minors because Terry Pegula is cheap. $18 million dollars under the NHL salary cap I don’t want to hear about the Sabres can’t sign Devon Levi and trading for draft picks forever. If Devon Levi isn’t signed playing in the NHL for the Buffalo Sabres. Sabres GM Kevyn Adams should be fired in my opinion. Go Sabres! Let’s Go Buffalo 

Edited by Buffalo Super Fan

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.