Buffalo Sabres and NHL 2022-2023

SDS

46 minutes ago, SinceThe70s said:

Well he didn't actually kick it did he? Hit off his knee so kicking motion doesn't apply?

@BillsFan4 pointed out rule about deliberately redirecting - which looks more appropriate. 

As an Islander fan I could argue (and replay officlals agreed) that he didn't deliberately re-direct - but if the call on ice was no goal, it should have stood as no goal. Crappy way to win/lose a game. Instant replay reviews suck.

And FYI...

6 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

And FYI...

Are you going with kick, deliberate redirect or both? 

From what I understand of the rules,  kick or kicking motion is off the table since it was not off his foot/skate. Am I wrong about that? If not, why the silly soccer clip?

If it's a matter of whether it was a deliberate redirect - that's subjective.  I can see either point of view - not sure how you see that in real time replay and determine definitively that his intent wasn't to stop the puck, settle and roof one. But I've already said that my preference here would have been to keep the call on ice (No goal, right?). so I'll check out now unless someone has a different angle to discuss or if I got something grossly wrong.

It was very obvious this fool was kicking the puck into the net. ESPN sucks in the hockey business let’s get that out of way. The Buffalo Sabres were screwed for sure but this crap has gone on for 40 years. The New York Islanders, Boston Bruins, Philadelphia Flyers and Montreal Canadians are getting calls like that. This is what I am saying economically the ESPN’s the networks and the major leagues don’t respect Buffalo economically. That is why our odds of winning a Super Bowl or Stanley Cup championship are long as long as Buffalo is challenged economically the Buffalo Sabres aren’t get respect. You earn respect by money which is economics through population growth and you get population growth with good paying jobs.

Buffalo doesn’t mean crap for the NFL or the NHL anymore that is reality. That was a screw job tonight no doubt about it. Buffalo deserves what we got stop doing business as usual maybe than the rest of the country will respect this city. That was garbage call tonight but can’t say I am surprised that isn’t dumb luck or bad luck that was a screw job by the NHL the New York Islanders Long Island means more to the NHL executives than the Buffalo Sabres Buffalo to the networks for profits in my opinion. Go Sabres! Let’s Go Buffalo 

• Disagree 1
  • Dislike 1

10 minutes ago, Buffalo Super Fan said:

It was very obvious this fool was kicking the puck into the net. ESPN sucks in the hockey business let’s get that out of way. The Buffalo Sabres were screwed for sure but this crap has gone on for 40 years. The New York Islanders, Boston Bruins, Philadelphia Flyers and Montreal Canadians are getting calls like that. This is what I am saying economically the ESPN’s the networks and the major leagues don’t respect Buffalo economically. That is why our odds of winning a Super Bowl or Stanley Cup championship are long as long as Buffalo is challenged economically the Buffalo Sabres aren’t get respect. You earn respect by money which is economics through population growth and you get population growth with good paying jobs.

Buffalo doesn’t mean crap for the NFL or the NHL anymore that is reality. That was a screw job tonight no doubt about it. Buffalo deserves what we got stop doing business as usual maybe than the rest of the country will respect this city. That was garbage call tonight but can’t say I am surprised that isn’t dumb luck or bad luck that was a screw job by the NHL the New York Islanders Long Island means more to the NHL executives than the Buffalo Sabres Buffalo to the networks for profits in my opinion. Go Sabres! Let’s Go Buffalo 

Buffalo doesn’t get hosed because our economy lol

Why even watch sports if that’s what you think ?? We’re basically WWE jobbers then 

This isn’t a conspiracy to hold buffalo back

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Buffalo Super Fan said:

If you think the New York Islanders have been the darling of the NHL for 40 years you are 100% out of touch.  My Islanders have been a joke of a franchise for many years - google John Spano Islanders for proof. Amazingly embarrassing story in the midst of decades of decades of sucktitude since the 80's cup run. I  could go on and on  but suffice to say much like the Bills we are lucky the team didn't move.

4 minutes ago, SinceThe70s said:

If you think the New York Islanders have been the darling of the NHL for 40 years you are 100% out of touch.  My Islanders have been a joke of a franchise for many years - google John Spano Islanders for proof. Amazingly embarrassing story in the midst of decades of decades of sucktitude since the 80's cup run. I  could go on and on  but suffice to say much like the Bills we are lucky the team didn't move.

Brittany Mahomes wants her victim role back, please return it to her. 😉 

Yeah... But you still  have 4 straight Cups in early 80s... Better than the screw jobs Sabres and their fans have been getting for 53 years... LoL... And I won't even bring Billy Smith and Lindy Ruff into this equation. 😉 

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Brittany Mahomes wants her victim role back, please return it to her. 😉 

Yeah... But you still  have 4 straight Cups in early 80s... Better than the screw jobs Sabres and their fans have been getting for 53 years... LoL... And I won't even bring Billy Smith and Lindy Ruff into this equation. 😉 

The like was for the mention of the Cup years - only time in my life that a team I root for had a sustained run of dominance.

How you turned my contention that the NHL has not bestowed most favored nation status upon the Islanders into a claim of victimhood on my part is silly. Isles benefitted from a highly questionable review call last night. Has that been the pattern since the Cup years 40 years ago?  Anyway, I'll bow out on this part of the discussion as well since I'm sure nobody else cares.

Good luck to the Sabres the rest of the way - except on March 25!

7 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

Buffalo doesn’t get hosed because our economy lol

Why even watch sports if that’s what you think ?? We’re basically WWE jobbers then 

This isn’t a conspiracy to hold buffalo back

I thought the Buffalo economy was responsible for Norwood kicking it wide right.

11 minutes ago, Doc said:

That was a clear kicking motion.

Doc I saw the puck go off his shin and go in the net.  It may not have even been an "on purpose" kick on the skaters part. But his leg did move it was Not static. Referee calls off the Goal.  OVERTURNED. I say Baloney. 

10 hours ago, SinceThe70s said:

Agreed -  some folks were referring to the kicking motion - pretty sure that's a different rule, no?

The rule you referenced calls out a deliberate attempt. As an Islander fan I could argue he was trying to stop/settle the puck and score. As a Sabre fan you're unlikely to ever see it that way. Refs called it no goal in real time - it should've stayed that way. IMO replay sucks more than it doesn't. Crappy way to win/lose a game.

Yes, that’s a different rule.

Rules 37.4 and 49.2 address kicking a puck in with your skate, or using your skate to kick another piece of equipment (like a stick, glove, or anything laying on the ice) to put the puck in the net.

Different from rule 78.5, which was the rule in question on this play.

Don’t get me wrong here. I’m not saying the Isles deserved to lose. They played a good game and made a strong push during the 2nd that the sabres had trouble handling. You could see they were the more experienced team. I thought Buffalo played kind of timid/nervous at times. But I still hate that they won on that 3rd goal.

• Like (+1) 1

Last night sucked.  We could have won the game and just didn't do enough to get it done.  Period.  We also foolishly got sucked into playing their type of game, which is a tactical error.  Lots of players passed up scoring chances looking instead for the perfect play.  

Tomorrow's game is even bigger.  We can't lose 3 in a row.  The race is probably over already, but a win tomorrow is 100% required if we are going to stay even remotely in a playoff push.

And we are coming up against another pair of All-Star goalies in the next 2!  

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Gregg said:

I thought the Buffalo economy was responsible for Norwood kicking it wide right.

According to SuperFan and Exiled, the problem with the 2023 Sabres has its origins in the acquisition of Lackawanna Steel by Bethlehem and the construction of route 33 and fracturing of historic neighborhoods.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

5 hours ago, muppy said:

Doc I saw the puck go off his shin and go in the net.  It may not have even been an "on purpose" kick on the skaters part. But his leg did move it was Not static. Referee calls off the Goal.  OVERTURNED. I say Baloney. 

It looked purposeful to me.  These guys can re-direct a puck moving at 100 MPH with the tip of their sticks.

Sucks they basically pissed away any chance at the playoffs in just 3 games.

I wish Adams would’ve brought in some real help at the deadline. But maybe patience was best. They certainly don’t look ready to push for a playoff spot right now. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

15 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

Sucks they basically pissed away any chance at the playoffs in just 3 games.

I wish Adams would’ve brought in some real help at the deadline. But maybe patience was best. They certainly don’t look ready to push for a playoff spot right now. 

We just got majorly embarrassed at home... I had the play call on in the background but wasn't watching after the 2nd. Probably won't watch any more games this year unless a miracle happens. Comrie is lucky to have a job, not just with us... but anywhere in the NHL. *****

32 minutes ago, Process said:

Well the playoffs run seems over. Just have to hope we don't see a complete collapse at this point. Fun year regardless. See you next season. 

Hey, 10th from the bottom is still open and the bottom 10 teams are all eligible to WIN the lottery! 

We can bottom out for Bedard! 

This was never supposed to be a playoff year for us and we overachieved to get to where we are now. This group isn't there yet, but they should be expected to be there next year.

I really wish they would go after some goaltending but I think they may roll with Comrie and UPL next year too.

I just didn't like the way they literally QUIT with about 10 minutes left in the 3rd  Never quite seen that sort of thing in a Sabres game, I don't think.  2 on 0s, breakaways, total collapse.  It looked like a Mites game at times.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.