Buffalo Sabres and NHL 2022-2023

SDS

1 hour ago, Buffalo Super Fan said:

First Happy St Patrick’s Day. Second a great day to be a Buffalo Sabres fan signing Devon Levi was a huge signing. It was important and the Buffalo Sabres got it done. It simply doesn’t matter about Rochester Americans and AHL playoffs the players down there have to figure it out. Buffalo Sabres fans need to be concerned fixing the Buffalo Sabres not the Rochester Americans. This is a very important signing for the Buffalo Sabres. 

Now addressing the it’s too soon for Devon Levi from some Buffalo Sabres fans it’s nothing more than fear. Don Edwards was the same age with no college experience. Tom Barrasso was 18 years old straight from High School Hockey June to starting opening night for the Buffalo Sabres in October with no college and he won two Stanley Cups with the Pittsburgh Penguins. Owen Power was fine without the AHL. The 7th round pick Devon Levi he went to college played his way into a 1st round draft pick as far as I am concerned. If Devon Levi fails he fails it won’t be the first time a player failed in the pros and it won’t be the last time that is on Devon Levi the individual not the Buffalo Sabres. The Buffalo Sabres are a professional hockey team not a babysitter service. Devon Levi got his money and opportunity if he fails he fails there is always someone else that will take the goalie job if he can’t seize the opportunity he has. To the Buffalo Sabres fans you can’t control fate and life it’s impossible.

Devon Levi time he believes he is ready and you go with that. Some Buffalo Sabres fans with that AHL hockey position wouldn’t have played Ken Dryden out of Cornell Big Red for the 1971 Montreal Canadians playoffs I am scared let’s play Rogie Vachon instead. You have nothing to fear then fear itself in my opinion. Go Sabres! Let’s Go Buffalo 

It seems like the NHL is still taking the tack the NFL used to, which is if you play a goalie (QB) too soon, you can ruin him.  I say put him in net soon and keep him there.

Edited by Doc

The Buffalo Sabres are at desperation time now. I would start Devon Levi against the Boston Bruins at home Sunday afternoon let all the Sabres fans see what we have now. Hope Levi brings in some lightning in a bottle because I don’t see the Buffalo Sabres getting that playoff spot with UPL and Anderson in the Sabres goal in my opinion. Go Sabres! Let’s Go Buffalo 

Sabres got outplayed and Granato got out-coached by Tortorella. Torts had the flyers take away the rush and the sabres had no answers. That's happened numerous times recently. When teams press at the blue line and the sabres can't create off the rush they don't know what to do.

Getting sick of no defensive structure too. Granato keeps saying he needs to let the kids find their defensive game but how long does it take? Shouldn'y we be seeing some type of defensive structure by now? Starting to question the sabres d coch as well. Wonder if he also runs the (atrocious) penalty kill? If so then it seems like it may be time to look for a new asst. coach in the offseason.

• Thank you (+1) 1

12 hours ago, BillsFan4 said:

Sabres got outplayed and Granato got out-coached by Tortorella. Torts had the flyers take away the rush and the sabres had no answers. That's happened numerous times recently. When teams press at the blue line and the sabres can't create off the rush they don't know what to do.

Getting sick of no defensive structure too. Granato keeps saying he needs to let the kids find their defensive game but how long does it take? Shouldn'y we be seeing some type of defensive structure by now? Starting to question the sabres d coch as well. Wonder if he also runs the (atrocious) penalty kill? If so then it seems like it may be time to look for a new asst. coach in the offseason.

Last night wasn't about coaching FFS.  We were just totally flat and played a terrible game as a unit for 60 minutes.  You see a lot of that sort of thing all around the league from time to time.  I personally think it's a function of the crazy, old fashioned approach the league has to scheduling, with everyone pursuing wildly different schedules all the time.

I've wanted to see a uniform playing schedule for years.  I think the quality of play would improve dramatically if they could figure out a way to get that done.

Anyway, it was a tough game to watch and take at this point.  This whole thing has probably been over for a few weeks now and it's that much worse after last night. 

At this point, I'm looking forward to seeing Levi in a Sabres sweater.  Everyone says he's not close to ready for the NHL level, but let's see what he looks like.  

And it's still not too late to focus on getting that 10th and final draft lottery spot!

They won't say it publicly of course, but behind the scenes I'm sure the Sabres are disgusted with themselves.  In the biggest moments of the season they have come up incredibly small. When you haven't made the playoffs in a decade and your playoff lives are on the line, to go 2-6-2 in the last 10 is awful.  It just shows they are an average team at best.  If they get some D and goaltending + penalty kill, they could be right on the cusp and get in.  The future looks better with Levi in the mix, but there's no guarantee the goal scoring will maintain their pace next season, so we shall see.  

• Agree 1

Been reading this thread for some time. Kinda got me excited about watching the Sabres again.  Watched a few games over the last few weeks.  At times they look decent, kinda fun to watch.  Other times, many times, they look over matched.

It would be great if they make the playoffs, concerned it would be a quick exit though.  

• Like (+1) 1

I don't know what it is but this year when they lose...they lose bad!  It wasn't like that last season, I don't know why they have lost in so many blowouts this season.  I mean yeah goaltending is an obvious issue but there's been too many games this year where the whole team looks flat. 

On 3/18/2023 at 10:57 AM, Nextmanup said:

Last night wasn't about coaching FFS.  We were just totally flat and played a terrible game as a unit for 60 minutes.  You see a lot of that sort of thing all around the league from time to time.  I personally think it's a function of the crazy, old fashioned approach the league has to scheduling, with everyone pursuing wildly different schedules all the time.

I've wanted to see a uniform playing schedule for years.  I think the quality of play would improve dramatically if they could figure out a way to get that done.

Anyway, it was a tough game to watch and take at this point.  This whole thing has probably been over for a few weeks now and it's that much worse after last night. 

At this point, I'm looking forward to seeing Levi in a Sabres sweater.  Everyone says he's not close to ready for the NHL level, but let's see what he looks like.  

And it's still not too late to focus on getting that 10th and final draft lottery spot!

I haven’t watched every game closely but from what I’ve seen it seems like they’ve had no answer when other teams clog things up all season. Maybe that’s more personnel, I don’t know. But I haven’t really seen any adjustment either. Have you? When what we do doesn’t work (rush the puck), what answers have they had? When the other team clogs the blue line it seems like we just continue trying to rush no matter how many times it fails. I’d like to see the coaching staff have an answer for that style of game plan. Maybe they’ve tried. We do suck at dump + chase. 

I question the d coach because Defenseman are constantly taking terrible lines to the puck. Constantly allowing odd man rushes and continue looking somewhat lost in their own zone, especially with play behind the net. It’s been almost 2 full seasons now. At some point I need to see some improvement. I’ve seen the improvement on offense.

With the PK, I’m not even sure what their system is supposed to be. Whatever it is, is bad. That’s why I said if the d coach runs the Pk too, it seems like an easy change to make.

I don’t want Granato going anywhere. I generally like what he’s doing, but I wouldn’t mind seeing changes to some of his assistants like the d coach and the goalie coach. Hard not to question both with the (lack of) results they’ve had. When we had Jim Corsi even out backups were competent. I haven’t seen anything from Bales that gives me any confidence he can improve the play of our goalies. And now that Levi is here, I want to ensure he develops.

I agree, all teams come out flat at times (although it’s been happening too much for my liking this season) and the team was flat from the drop of the puck against Philly. I am not blaming the loss 100% on coaching. The players definitely deserve the lion’s share.

No interest in the draft lottery! I want to finish in a playoff spot or right outside of it. The more meaningful games they can play the better. But as you said I don’t see playoffs happening it’s probably been over since that loss to the isles (another team that clogged things up in the 3rd and we had no real answer for it).

Edited by BillsFan4

21 hours ago, Buffalo Super Fan said:

The Buffalo Sabres are at desperation time now. I would start Devon Levi against the Boston Bruins at home Sunday afternoon let all the Sabres fans see what we have now. Hope Levi brings in some lightning in a bottle because I don’t see the Buffalo Sabres getting that playoff spot with UPL and Anderson in the Sabres goal in my opinion. Go Sabres! Let’s Go Buffalo 

Brilliant move, Punch Imlach. Throw a college kid right in against the best NHL team in a decade.

• Haha (+1) 2

16 minutes ago, LOVEMESOMEBILLS said:

15 seconds in and they already gave up a goal. Bruins 1 Sabres 0.

12 minutes in and they have given up 3... enough of the "they're fun to watch" crap lol.

22 hours ago, BillsPride12 said:

I don't know what it is but this year when they lose...they lose bad!  It wasn't like that last season, I don't know why they have lost in so many blowouts this season.  I mean yeah goaltending is an obvious issue but there's been too many games this year where the whole team looks flat. 

And another one underway 

19 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Brilliant move, Punch Imlach. Throw a college kid right in against the best NHL team in a decade.

That was a embarrassment today 7-0 is a disgrace against the Boston Bruins after they played yesterday. If Don Granato fails next season he needs to be fired telling it like it is. Don Granato Buffalo Sabres coaching job is on the line next season. He better hope Devon Levi is the real deal or Don Granato will be fired. Punch Imlach played Don Edwards over Al Smith a NHL veteran and WHA Avco Cup Champion with the New England Whalers. Al Smith said see yeah and went back to the New England Whalers then when the leagues merged Al Smith was back in the NHL.

My point age doesn’t matter Devon Levi is the same age as Don Edwards 21 years old he is an adult. And I will add has more real world experience having two years of college over Don Edwards who played in a Ontario Junior Hockey Bus League. Age doesn’t matter talent matters. Again if Devon Levi fails that is on him not the Buffalo Sabres. He wants to be in big leagues let’s see what he has. If he fails he fails. What did all the Sabres coddling do for UPL he still sucks like he has since day one. You are either good enough or you are not.

The Buffalo Sabres stop coddling professional athletes get in there and be a star like Buffalo Bills quarterback Josh Allen. This Buffalo Sabres fan someday crap is baloney the Sabres have three years and Devon Levi is a restricted free agent play him in Buffalo forget Rochester. I would play Devon Levi the rest of the way then decide where to go from there. If he sucks we trade or sign two goalies sending him down for more seasoning next year but make no mistake it’s a step back if he has to go to Rochester next year I will have doubts about him as a star goalie. Forget Ryan Miller the NHL is a bigger league with number of teams today Ryan Miller goes right to the NHL because there is a goalie shortage. If Devon Levi is good we bring in one goalie. I have seen enough of the present three goalies UPL, Anderson and Comrie all need to go in my opinion. Go Sabres! Let’s Go Buffalo 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.