Buffalo Sabres and NHL 2022-2023

SDS

5 minutes ago, Dr. Who said:

Poor Devon Levi. The minute he signs on, the Sabres decide to go retro epic disaster.

Why poor Devon Levi he chose to play for the Buffalo Sabres and will be well paid to play for the Sabres? What happened before Devon Levi plays has nothing to do with him. Same when Josh Allen came to the Buffalo Bills. Josh Allen wasn’t responsible for Rex Ryan and Tyrod Taylor Bills teams in my opinion. Go Sabres! Let’s Go Buffalo 

13 minutes ago, Buffalo Super Fan said:

Why poor Devon Levi he chose to play for the Buffalo Sabres and will be well paid to play for the Sabres? What happened before Devon Levi plays has nothing to do with him. Same when Josh Allen came to the Buffalo Bills. Josh Allen wasn’t responsible for Rex Ryan and Tyrod Taylor Bills teams in my opinion. Go Sabres! Let’s Go Buffalo 

It's just a joke. You tend to take everything far too seriously, or perhaps that is just your schtick.

Sabres on the Warpath, but maybe not so much the rest of this season!

This is why i am not ready to call it a successful season yet. Yeah, being in the playoff race at the deadline was progress. But it's not the first time during the rebuild they have been in the playoff race at the deadline. Back in 2019 they were a few points out at the deadline when Botterill traded for Brandon Montour. Then the team proceeded to lose like crazy all of march/april. This is starting to feel the same. They need to finish the season stronger than this for me to call this season a success/progress.

I wonder if not making any meaningful additions at the deadline crushed this team's spirit and/or sent the message the playoff's weren't a main priority? They sure have struggled since then. Or maybe they just weren't ready to handle the pressure of meaningful games. I dont know. Either way it's depressing and I am once again losing interest in this team. They haven't even really been fun to watch lately.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Sad 1

39 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

This is why i am not ready to call it a successful season yet. Yeah, being in the playoff race at the deadline was progress. But it's not the first time during the rebuild they have been in the playoff race at the deadline. Back in 2019 they were a few points out at the deadline when Botterill traded for Brandon Montour. Then the team proceeded to lose like crazy all of march/april. This is starting to feel the same. They need to finish the season stronger than this for me to call this season a success/progress.

I wonder if not making any meaningful additions at the deadline crushed this team's spirit and/or sent the message the playoff's weren't a main priority? They sure have struggled since then. Or maybe they just weren't ready to handle the pressure of meaningful games. I dont know. Either way it's depressing and I am once again losing interest in this team. They haven't even really been fun to watch lately.

The Gab tweet is gut wrenching... and I've barely watched them lately, just looking at the box scores mostly.

• Sad 1

https://theathletic.com/4325849/2023/03/19/sabres-bruins-loss-devon-levi/

Levi is with the Sabres and is expected to meet with reporters for the first time on Monday. Kevyn Adams and Granato like the idea of Levi being around the team during this high-pressure stretch of games. He can get mentorship from Anderson and practice time at the NHL level to get acclimated. Granato noted that Levi could end up playing in the AHL next season, so this final stretch of games is a chance for them to see how he stacks up in the NHL.

no surprise there. We will see what happens though. Like I’ve said, I don’t think the expectation should be that Levi plays in the NHL next year. Maybe an injury call-up but I don’t expect him to even be the backup next seas9n let alone the starter.

I think the Sabres need to acquire an NHL starting caliber goalie for next season. Someone who can hold down the crease until Levi is ready. I’m ok with UPL being the backup next year but they absolutely can’t go into the season with only UPL and Comrie.

Edited by BillsFan4
  • Agree 2

1 minute ago, BillsFan4 said:

https://theathletic.com/4325849/2023/03/19/sabres-bruins-loss-devon-levi/

no surprise there. We will see what happens though. Like I’ve said, I don’t think the expectation should be that Levi plays in the NHL next year. Maybe an injury call-up but I don’t expect him to even be the backup next seas9n let alone the starter.

I think the Sabres need to acquire an NHL starting caliber goalie for next season. Someone who can hold down the crease until Levi is ready. I’m ok with UPL being the backup next year but they absolutely can’t go into the season with only UPL and Comrie.

I would also add another solid defensive defenseman. Despite the recent struggles the Sabres really are building something special. Be it in FA or the draft they need to improve the D and G. The offense is fine IMHO. For years the Sabres were poorly run and just spinning their wheels year after year. You can tell this rebuild is working as the team has played meaningful hockey in late March for the first time in a long time. If they can have a good offseason, then I think the Sabres will make the playoffs next year. Their young core group of players is only going to get better. Tage is already a star in this league who is probably one of the top 10 players in the game right now.

• Like (+1) 1

13 hours ago, BillsPride12 said:

I think they are both dealing with some sort of injuries.  Neither one of them look like themselves

Dahlin is definitely dealing with an injury. He’s been playing through it for a while now.

Not sure about Tage. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, BillsFan4 said:

https://www.dailyfaceoff.com/news/what-to-expect-from-devon-levi-why-the-sabres-should-be-patient

good article on Levi, his strengths + weaknesses, and what expectations should be.

Much has been said about Levi riding on minor league buses and eating Rochester food, but I trust they will give him at least a year in the AHL before he takes the starting job for the Sabres.  I expect he will see a decent number of call ups along the way.

1 hour ago, T&C said:

We're 8 points behind the Islanders and not much going on tonight so I guess I'll put this one on... haven't watched a full game in awhile.

I was busy and just put the game on a few minutes ago. Nashville scored 2 goals within a couple minutes to make it 5-1 and I immediately turned it off.

🤬

This team is just collapsing. It’s really disheartening.

• Agree 4

7 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

I was busy and just put the game on a few minutes ago. Nashville scored 2 goals within a couple minutes to make it 5-1 and I immediately turned it off.

🤬

This team is just collapsing. It’s really disheartening.

It really is. I thought that after the Bills went down in flames the Sabres would carry on the sports season for me... don't like baseball... but I guess this is pretty much how it goes and has gone for what, a decade? 

I'm about to turn off the feed and watch something else... and as I type this the Preds score again lol.

• Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

Pretty much all the goodwill from earlier in the season is going out the window during this skid.  Really damaging.  This team has been very fortunate injury wise too.  There aren't any excuses for how poorly they've played since January.

And look at the number of career years we are having, to boot!  All being flushed down the toilet.

It's time for Granato to show me he can get team defensive structure worked out.  It's atrocious.  

We give up MANY 2-0, 3-1, and breakaways per game, sometimes per period.

This team will never go anywhere playing like that.

We need a real #1 goalie starting for this team next year, not named LEVI, and we need to start playing responsible team defense.

A pair of solid defensive defensemen wouldn't hurt, either.

What bothers me about this stretch is that we have straight up QUIT in these games, at least at times.  That's when the opposition score 3 in 90 seconds.

It's been pretty ugly at times! 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

And look at the number of career years we are having, to boot!  All being flushed down the toilet.

It's time for Granato to show me he can get team defensive structure worked out.  It's atrocious.  

We give up MANY 2-0, 3-1, and breakaways per game, sometimes per period.

This team will never go anywhere playing like that.

We need a real #1 goalie starting for this team next year, not named LEVI, and we need to start playing responsible team defense.

A pair of solid defensive defensemen wouldn't hurt, either.

What bothers me about this stretch is that we have straight up QUIT in these games, at least at times.  That's when the opposition score 3 in 90 seconds.

It's been pretty ugly at times! 

They have completely imploded in a number of games.  I wouldn't call it quitting since I still see effort but it looks like total panic mode once they give up a goal.  They press, Dmen start pinching at horrible times, the odd man rushes start, and the wheels come off.  Every night we see goals scored where defenders are actually in good position but everyone is just watching the puck.  Passing lanes are open and forwards are sneaking in behind our D and wingers.   Its not good enough to be standing in the right spot.  

Apparently this team simply cannot play defense without Samuelsson in the lineup.  Anderson was poor last night, no question, but most of the odd man rushes were stupid mistakes.   I believe first line was on the ice for 3 against last night before the empty netter.

Preds game could have been different if Olofsson or Skinner do anything with their chances before the game was out of reach.  Power play has been poor for weeks now and offense is not burying their chances.  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.