Buffalo Sabres and NHL 2022-2023

SDS

15 minutes ago, Buffalo Super Fan said:

The Buffalo Sabres better have a guarantee Devon Levi will sign with the Sabres or this Erik Portillo trade with the Los Angeles Kings is a disaster. Also Buffalo Sabres fans wake up no college hockey goalie highly regarded today is going to the minors like Rochester Americans. Ryan Miller times were different there are more NHL teams and not enough starting goalies no goalie any good is going to minors. It’s like asking Josh Allen to play for the XFL ridiculous. That is all the Buffalo Sabres have to offer a big league salary and position. Forget UPL he is a backup goalie in the NHL. This had nothing to do with competition why Portillo didn’t sign with Buffalo this had to do with Buffalo and the Buffalo Sabres old school philosophy of holding players earnings down playing in the minors because Terry Pegula is cheap. $18 million dollars under the NHL salary cap I don’t want to hear about the Sabres can’t sign Devon Levi and trading for draft picks forever. If Devon Levi isn’t signed playing in the NHL for the Buffalo Sabres. Sabres GM Kevyn Adams should be fired in my opinion. Go Sabres! Let’s Go Buffalo 

I’ll bet that Levi starts a game for Buffalo this season.

Everything is done for the day, supper is made... so I'm ready to settle in and hopefully check out a road win. No Dahlin or Tuch so I hope the next man steps up bigtime this evening.

For the stat guys, interesting way that the Bruins won on Tuesday night.

https://www.nbcsports.com/boston/bruins/bruins-became-first-nhl-team-42-years-win-game-kind-way?cid=sm_npd_rsn_bos_fb_mn&fbclid=IwAR2HxIBEzI3M4AXp6u32zwSvj1mt5a08Sq1vbKCsR3nlKIlPmnp6ENiEYEE

3 hours ago, Buffalo Super Fan said:

The Buffalo Sabres better have a guarantee Devon Levi will sign with the Sabres or this Erik Portillo trade with the Los Angeles Kings is a disaster. Also Buffalo Sabres fans wake up no college hockey goalie highly regarded today is going to the minors like Rochester Americans. Ryan Miller times were different there are more NHL teams and not enough starting goalies no goalie any good is going to minors. It’s like asking Josh Allen to play for the XFL ridiculous. That is all the Buffalo Sabres have to offer a big league salary and position. Forget UPL he is a backup goalie in the NHL. This had nothing to do with competition why Portillo didn’t sign with Buffalo this had to do with Buffalo and the Buffalo Sabres old school philosophy of holding players earnings down playing in the minors because Terry Pegula is cheap. $18 million dollars under the NHL salary cap I don’t want to hear about the Sabres can’t sign Devon Levi and trading for draft picks forever. If Devon Levi isn’t signed playing in the NHL for the Buffalo Sabres. Sabres GM Kevyn Adams should be fired in my opinion. Go Sabres! Let’s Go Buffalo 

The reason why Portillo didn't sign is because Levi is going to the Sabres.  It's a fait accompli.

4 hours ago, Buffalo Super Fan said:

name the college goalies that have gone right from college to the NHL without AHL time. Are there any? I can’t think of any off the top of my head. Even goalies drafted in the 1st round get time in the minors. Levi was a 7th round pick. Giving a goalie time in the minors isn’t a fireable offense. That’s silly.

Its definitely possible he gets time with the Sabres this season, if anything just to entice him to sign. But unless he’s lights-out good it’s very likely he spends time in Rochester. It’s rare goalies are ready to make the jump right to the pros. I mean, I hope he is. That would be amazing. But I sure wouldn’t plan on it.

also, they had to trade Portillo. He told the Sabres he was going to test free agency. They tried to sign him last season and again this season. But he can use the college free agent rule to turn unrestricted free agent at the end of the season. So they had to trade him or lose him for nothing. He wasn’t signing here.

Edited by BillsFan4
  • Agree 2

Well that sucked. 

That loss to Columbus hurts even more now. You have to win against a last place team, especially when the schedule gets so tough coming up after that.

Right now Pittsburgh is in the last wildcard spot and 3 points ahead of Buffalo with the same # of games played. 

• Agree 1

21 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

Well that sucked. 

That loss to Columbus hurts even more now. You have to win against a last place team, especially when the schedule gets so tough coming up after that.

Right now Pittsburgh is in the last wildcard spot and 3 points ahead of Buffalo with the same # of games played. 

At 3-0 I turned over to Fox news... we play them again in not too long. Too many missed opportunities in the 1st period. And we move on...

• Vomit 1

1 hour ago, BillsFan4 said:

Well that sucked. 

It's going to get worse; our schedule is brutal.  

• Like (+1) 1

Tom Barrasso went from high school graduation in June to starting Buffalo Sabres starting goalie in October. Ken Dryden went from Cornell Big Red to the Montreal Canadians leading them to the Stanley Cup. Jim Craig Olympic hero right to the Atlanta Flames NHL, Boston Bruins and Minnesota North Stars. Tons of guys went to the WHA from college and high school. The NHL was smaller so the WHA and NHL equal the 32 NHL teams of today as a fan of both leagues growing up seeing both. The NHL has a goalie shortage the Buffalo Sabres are going to have to promise Devon Levi a roster spot like Owen Power and Rasmus Dahlin or he isn’t coming out.

The Buffalo Sabres fans are in a fantasy world to think this kid is riding a bus in Rochester is ridiculous. Devon Levi is going to be in Buffalo he is better than both Rasmus Dahlin and Owen Power. I don’t care where Devon Levi was drafted Jack Eichel was drafted to be a franchise player and plays like a second line hockey player because he was overrated overhyped and over drafted. Devon Levi was the opposite under drafted. Draft position means zero it is what is he now. You can’t teach the quickness this kid has. I saw UPL tonight he had flashes of greatness tonight against the Boston Bruins but he gives up too many rebounds and the bottom line UPL

folded tonight and he doesn’t win you big must have games. Devon Levi is the opposite wins big games in the clutch he will be the starting number one goalie next season if UPL and Eric Comrie are the only two other starting goalie choices for the Buffalo Sabres in my opinion. Go Sabres! Let’s Go Buffalo 

16 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Sabres going to miss out on playoffs again? I’m shocked!

Probably but the future is looking good. It's been a long time since Sabres fans can say that. Just like with the Bills this coming offseason is going to be a big one for the Sabres.

• Like (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Sabres going to miss out on playoffs again? I’m shocked!

They are not the same old Sabres. The young core is very good. They likely hit on all three first rounders from 2022. Dahlin deserves consideration for the Norris. Power is playing great D for his age. Muel is having a down year, but I don't see him failing. The top line is dangerous. Even Skinner has become a player that is more than a sniper. Cozens has become a legit 2C. Quinn is going to be a star, imo. Krebs is that pesky bottom six player that irritates the opponent. The team needs an infusion of grit, some defensive D men, preferably RD, and improved goaltending. Levi might be the answer a few years out. They need to bring in someone to bridge that gap; and of course, Levi might not pan out -- I think he's special, though. Granato plays an offensive game, so there's a sense in which the D always pays the price for that strategy. They still need to be better. I would say they are a year ahead of schedule. I wish KA had made some available deals for this year, but I expect the Sabres to be a good team for years to come. Time to drop the cynicism, despite the awful performance last night.

Edited by Dr. Who
  • Thank you (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Buffalo Super Fan said:

Tom Barrasso went from high school graduation in June to starting Buffalo Sabres starting goalie in October. Ken Dryden went from Cornell Big Red to the Montreal Canadians leading them to the Stanley Cup. Jim Craig Olympic hero right to the Atlanta Flames NHL, Boston Bruins and Minnesota North Stars. Tons of guys went to the WHA from college and high school. The NHL was smaller so the WHA and NHL equal the 32 NHL teams of today as a fan of both leagues growing up seeing both. The NHL has a goalie shortage the Buffalo Sabres are going to have to promise Devon Levi a roster spot like Owen Power and Rasmus Dahlin or he isn’t coming out.

The Buffalo Sabres fans are in a fantasy world to think this kid is riding a bus in Rochester is ridiculous. Devon Levi is going to be in Buffalo he is better than both Rasmus Dahlin and Owen Power. I don’t care where Devon Levi was drafted Jack Eichel was drafted to be a franchise player and plays like a second line hockey player because he was overrated overhyped and over drafted. Devon Levi was the opposite under drafted. Draft position means zero it is what is he now. You can’t teach the quickness this kid has. I saw UPL tonight he had flashes of greatness tonight against the Boston Bruins but he gives up too many rebounds and the bottom line UPL

folded tonight and he doesn’t win you big must have games. Devon Levi is the opposite wins big games in the clutch he will be the starting number one goalie next season if UPL and Eric Comrie are the only two other starting goalie choices for the Buffalo Sabres in my opinion. Go Sabres! Let’s Go Buffalo 

What about goalies this decade that have gone right from college to pros? Hockey was a lot different back then.

I can’t think of a single goalie that has gone right from college to pros and stuck. 

Like I said, I wouldn’t be surprised if Levi gets a game or two this year to entice him to sign and burn a year off his entry level contract (though I could also see him playing in the AHL this season, especially if Rochester makes the playoffs). But I won’t be at all surprised if he is in the AHL next season.  It’s what I expect to happen. If you are setting your expectations on him going right to the NHL you are probably going to be disappointed.

Goalies especially need time to develop. Forcing him right into the NHL isn’t a good plan for his long term success. And Adams has been patient to a fault sometimes. I don’t expect him to force Levi into the Pros.

I guess we will see next year though. No point in continuing to debate something neither of us have any control over.

• Like (+1) 2

https://www.nhl.com/standings/2022/wildcard

Pittsburgh won in overtime last night. They took over the 1st wildcard spot and now sit 5 points ahead of Buffalo with 1 more game played.

The isles sit 4 points ahead of Buffalo in the last wildcard spot with 4 more games played.

With the Sabres upcoming schedule Its going to be tough to make up ground.

29 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

Pittsburgh won in overtime last night. They took over the 1st wildcard spot and now sit 5 points ahead of Buffalo with 1 more game played.

The isles sit 4 points ahead of Buffalo in the last wildcard spot with 4 more games played.

I know there are games to be played before next Tuesday. But next Tuesday is BUF at NYI. Big game to say the least.

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, BillsFan4 said:

Ottawa is making a move and Florida is righting their ship.  With the Sabres remaining strength of schedule and their competition dialing in, its a tough time for the Sabres to be getting blown out of the arena at least once a week.

its the Vegas 2nd (so the worst of the three 2nds we have in 2023).

He was teammates with Tage Thompson and played for Granato in the USNDTP. He actually out-scored Tage that season! lol

A 2nd is a bit steep but I still like it. It brings an element we don’t currently have.

He adds some much needed physicality and grit plus still could have some untapped potential. I bet he’s going to be motivated too. Still 2 years left on his deal so it’s not just a rental.

asplund to Nashville for a 7th two years from now. Obviously this was about opening a roster spot and giving Asplund a chance elsewhere. 

I remember Tim Murray saying he had a 1st round grade on Asplund. 😂

cant say I know much about Strand.

• Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, QCity said:

With the Stillman and Greenway additions it's pretty clear their goal is to add more physical play, and I won't complain about that.

I know Adams said he approached Okposo recently and asked him if we needed more toughness in the lineup. I guess we know what Okposo’s answer was 😂

I think it was probably needed. We have a lot of young kids and the NHL is an intimidating league. If they feel more comfortable on the ice it should only help them to play their game, and we’ve seen how they can look when they’re all on their game.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.