Is there any circumstances you would move on from McDermott after 2022?

FilthyBeast

Under what circumstance whout you move on from McDermott after 2022  

357 members have voted

1. 1. Under what circumstance whout you move on from McDermott after 2022

• Nothing. He's my head coach and still want him here no matter what happens in 2022
    • Anything short of a SB appearance and/or championship
    • Losing season/miss playoffs and injuries are not a main factor in this
    • Losing to KC in the playoffs for a 3rd straight year

I've been a vocal critic of McD for a few years now.  He has coached some absolutely brutal losses, and made some very questionable personnel choices - Peterman, Murphy, and others.  When the Bills win the SB this year I firmly believe it will be despite McD not because of him.  It took complete negligence on the part of the coaching staff to keep Allen out of the SB this past year.   

That said, I would find it almost impossible to see a scenario where he is not the coach in 2023 regardless of the outcome this year.  Probably only a rift between Allen and McD would be enough to cause McD to lose his job but I just can't see an Aaron Rodgers scenario playing out with Allen.  

• Disagree 2
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

The odds of missing the playoffs are "almost impossible"?

This is the kind of offseason hyperbolic jibberish that makes May-August a difficult read here on TSW.

The Bills had a much easier schedule in 2021 and yet they were just 7-6 and on the outside of the playoff picture looking in due to a bad AFC record after 13 games.

They had lost to literally the worst team in the league........scoring only 6 points.

The AFC is much deeper this year.........Russell Wilson, Matt Ryan and possibly DeShaun Watson have been added to talented rosters........the Chargers loaded up in UFA.......the AFC champs totally revamped their terrible OL........the Dolphins finished last year winning 8 of 9 and improved their roster.........the Jets roster is now more talented than the Jaguars team that the seemingly stacked 2021 Bills lost to.........

There are a lot of ways to miss the playoffs in the AFC in 2022.    

Have you been under a rock?

It's not "almost impossible".       

How do people so quickly forget how the NFL actually works?

I honestly can’t think of a single topic you have ever had any positivity on.  You’re literally a broken record of doom and gloom. 

And sorry, it will be nearly impossible for a healthy 2022 Bills team to miss the playoffs.  I’ll bet you any amount of money that if Josh Allen stays healthy as well as the majority of the team that we make the playoffs. 

Almost every odds maker in the country feels the same given the majority have given them the best odds to not only make the Super Bowl, but win it.

And enough about the anomaly of the Jags game.   Bengals lost to the Jets and went to the SB.  It freaking happens, but you dedicated career wet blankets are so desperate to hold on to your negative and pessimistic outlooks you cling to it like a baby on it’s mother boob as if it defined the team while we were in the playoffs when we averaged 41.5 points per game and set records.  

Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3

2 hours ago, NewEra said:

I disagree. Yes, we’re the best team in the league and yes, our chances of making the playoffs are good.   The afc is deep and is a gauntlet.  I get that the confidence is high that we win the division.  I’m confident we’ll win the division in large part due to the QBs in our division.  Tua has now has a potential great play caller, a potentially great OL (after having a terrible OL), great playmakers and fast DBs.   The jets are going to look much different this year and Douglas gave wilson everything he needs to succeed.  If he progresses, watch out.  

One injury along the OL could cause a loss or two.  Two injuries to our OL could break our offense like it did last year.  

Who plays 1T if Jones goes down?  Injuries at DT last year crippled our run D.  

Daboll is gone and Dorsey has never called plays in his life.  We don’t know how that’s going to work.  

Josh’s go-to 3rd down WR for 3 years is gone.  

there are so many potential roadblocks that shouldn’t be overlooked.  Injuries are a huge part of the game and we WILL lose starters due to them.  Being without certain players vs certain teams could cost us a win or 2 or 3.  

The OP specifically said “with no injuries”.  

Injuries change everything of course, but we aren’t losing our division if this team stays healthy.  

4 hours ago, FilthyBeast said:

Now that the dust has settled from the draft and we move closer to the 2022 season, was curious what the current pulse is on McDermott. Expectations are obviously sky high in Buffalo and it's truly SB or bust as far as a lot of fans and pundits see it.

On one hand the McDermott is still the best HC this franchise has seen since Levy and the 90's, but on the other the stench of playoff loss in KC still looms large and could be an issue in the locker room if this team gets off to a slow start in 2022. I would go as far to say his regular season record against playoff teams and never being able to win a road playoff game is a root cause for serious concern as well.

Adding a poll here but personally there are 2 scenarios I would pull the trigger on dumping McDermott after 2022:

1) We have a losing season/miss playoffs (with major injuries NOT being a factor in this).

2) We lose to KC in the playoffs for a 3rd straight season regardless of round or whether game is in Buffalo/KC.

Either of these happen and the Pegulas have to seriously ask themselves where they seem the direction of this team heading under McDermott knowing you are only going to get so many bites at the apple once Allen's contract kicks in similar to Mahomes in KC. Beane cannot show blind loyalty either IMO and look at himself and McDermott as a package deal moving forward.

I don't say this lightly, dumbest thread ever. 

0 and 17, and pulls a Riley Cooper at Taste of Country... we can consider it.

Aside from his coaching skills, who would replace him?

How long would it take for the new guy and Beane to get in sync?

Fire a beloved players coach? What players are you willing to lose.

Process locker room, down the drain.

Honestly, even if we lose in AFCCG every single year, I'm cool with it. If a coach can consistently get us as far as we have, at that point, players need to pick up the slack and be the thing that puts us over.

I hope you sleep on the couch, wherever you are, and think about your actions

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

39 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

The OP specifically said “with no injuries”.  

Injuries change everything of course, but we aren’t losing our division if this team stays healthy.  

Well, he said major injuries.  There are lots of injuries every year and even the not so major injuries can be extremely crucial and cost us games.  Especially along the OL. Say bates or Saffold goes down.  They aren’t any more “major” than any other starter, but the results could be catastrophic.  I expect injuries to have an impact on the season to some extent.  How much and what our depth looks like could be the difference between making the playoffs and not.  

8 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Well, he said major injuries.  There are lots of injuries every year and even the not so major injuries can be extremely crucial and cost us games.  Especially along the OL. Say bates or Saffold goes down.  They aren’t any more “major” than any other starter, but the results could be catastrophic.  I expect injuries to have an impact on the season to some extent.  How much and what our depth looks like could be the difference between making the playoffs and not.  

If Josh Allen stays healthy we will win our division IMHO.  

• Like (+1) 1

He's failed miserably in the playoffs for 3 straight years with the Texans and last year being just brutally abysmal all time great coaching collapses.

75% say nothing? Looks like we have a lot of fans putting the coach above the team not holding him to the same standard, or just happy to "not suck" and make the playoffs. 

He has beenthe biggest flaw of the team for 2 years now.

Edited by ArtVandalay
  • Vomit 2
  • Disagree 2
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

47 minutes ago, ArtVandalay said:

He's failed miserably in the playoffs for 3 straight years with the Texans and last year being just brutally abysmal all time great coaching collapses.

75% say nothing? Looks like we have a lot of fans putting the coach above the team not holding him to the same standard, or just happy to "not suck" and make the playoffs. 

He's 3-4 in the playoffs so he's not Marvin Lewis who couldn't win a darn playoff game to save his life.  Here's what I want in a head coach in a parody driven league. Someone who consistently puts us in the playoffs nearly every season that gives us a chance to get to and win a Super Bowl.  One of these years the bounces will go that team's way and they'll win the title.  Bill Cowher, Mike Tomlin, John Harbaugh, Sean Payton, Pete Caroll, and Andy Reid put up multiple years of double digit wins equaling post season appearances.  They've all won multiple playoff games.  They all have one Super Bowl ring.  Bill Belichick is an anomaly.  Only one coach besides him have won multiple Super Bowls since the turn of the century and that was Tom Coughlin.  If McDermott doesn't live up to this standard then can him.  If not, you're an idiot if you fire him.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

He's 3-4 in the playoffs so he's not Marvin Lewis who couldn't win a darn playoff game to save his life.  Here's what I want in a head coach in a parody driven league. Someone who consistently puts us in the playoffs nearly every season that gives us a chance to get to and win a Super Bowl.  One of these years the bounces will go that team's way and they'll win the title.  Bill Cowher, Mike Tomlin, John Harbaugh, Sean Payton, Pete Caroll, and Andy Reid put up multiple years of double digit wins equaling post season appearances.  They've all won multiple playoff games.  They all have one Super Bowl ring.  Bill Belichick is an anomaly.  Only one coach besides him have won multiple Super Bowls since the turn of the century and that was Tom Coughlin.  If McDermott doesn't live up to this standard then can him.  If not, you're an idiot if you fire him.

Conversely, McVay took Jared Goff to a Super Bowl and Shanahan did the same with Garoppolo. Zac Taylor just got a second year Burrow there. I think it’s fair to question McDermott if he fails to deliver this season.

• Eyeroll 1
  • Disagree 1

6 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

McD is our coach.  Period.  He is not on any kind of hot seat.  

However if we were to miss the playoffs while everyone was mostly healthy, then sure it could mean a HC change is possible.  

But let’s be real, the odds of that happening are almost impossible.  If we stay healthy this team could sleep walk it’s way to at least 10 wins with even losers like Juaron, Gase, Meyer, etc at the helm.  

So, basically I had to choose the nearly possible scenario of everyone being healthy and we still miss the playoffs.  But in reality where that is never gonna happen, the answer is basically A.  

If we fall short in the playoffs again, he could enter next year on a hotter seat, but he’s not on one now.  

I was going to reply to this thread. But I will just defer to what Alpha said above. This. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, GunnerBill said:

I was going to reply to this thread. But I will just defer to what Alpha said above. This. 

McDermott has failed to deliver w prime Josh Allen two years running now. He’s unquestionably the biggest reason for the loss to the Chiefs. It’s a valid question. 

• Disagree 2

2 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

Conversely, McVay took Jared Goff to a Super Bowl and Shanahan did the same with Garoppolo. Zac Taylor just got a second year Burrow there. I think it’s fair to question McDermott if he fails to deliver this season.

Zac Taylor is the classic case of you just need that year where it bounces your way. He is not a particularly good Head Coach. It just all came together for the Bengals last year. He is the bounces went his way example. 

1 minute ago, GoBills808 said:

McDermott has failed to deliver w prime Josh Allen two years running now. He’s unquestionably the biggest reason for the loss to the Chiefs. It’s a valid question. 

The last playoff defeat, yes. That was largely on Sean. I don't think that alone is a big enough reason to make his job a valid question. 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, ArtVandalay said:

Or and this is a hypothetical, maybe people just remember the 17 years of no playoffs that proceeded him? Seriously it isn't just one flukey appearance now either, he's taken this team to the playoffs 4/5 years he's been here. 🤷‍♂️

Edited by Warcodered

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.