Giants prepared to release CB Bradberry (now released)

billsbackto81

2 hours ago, HappyDays said:

They lost games to contenders like the Bucs and Chiefs largely because of the drop off from Tre White to Dane Jackson/Levi Wallace. 

That's not based much in fact.

Go back and watch Tre White in the 2020 AFCCG in Kansas City.     He was atrocious.   His advanced stats were terrible enough but even that doesn't tell how badly he played that day because the game was over at halftime.    If it had actually been a barn burner that day he would have been a barn full of straw.

Great QB + Elite WR1 + No Pass Rush > ANY CB1

Assuming that he would have been a difference maker in another game where the pass rush was ineffective is nonsensical.

How many times have we seen DB's slid into the system and the defense not miss a beat?

There are ways to use Tre White and have him play GREAT...........putting him on Tyreek Hill or Mike Evans and asking him to cover for 6 seconds without getting spun is NOT such a situation.

What was needed was for them to fix the finishing aspect of their pass rush.

They hopefully did that with Von Miller and Settle/Phillips expenditures along with Oliver and Rousseau maturing.

If Tre returning and Elam being in the mix additionally improves them that's great but if the pass rush falls flat again then the coverage will fail against that elite QB/elite WR combo........ regardless.   

Edited by BADOLBILZ
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1

10 hours ago, Rico said:

Never ever watch Panthers games, and the Giants have been garbage lately. Is this guy really any good?

1. 2016 2nd round pick
  2. 2020 Pro Bowl
  3. 2nd highest paid cornerback in the NFL
  4. Is due to make $3.5 million more than Tre'Davious White in 2022

This is all anyone really needs to know about James Bradberry.

14 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

Tre White was killin it right off the bus his rookie year.  Why not the same for Elam?

Agreed but it's not a sure thing, and a bit of a question mark for a SB team. If he wants to come in and compete for the #2 spot, on a prove it deal, to set him up to get paid next FA.... then thatd be awesome. But unlikely

7 hours ago, BillsShredder83 said:

Agreed but it's not a sure thing, and a bit of a question mark for a SB team. If he wants to come in and compete for the #2 spot, on a prove it deal, to set him up to get paid next FA.... then thatd be awesome. But unlikely

Everyone here was posting the Bills would have killed the Bengals in the AFCC and maybe the Rams in the SB....without Tre-- or Elam, for that matter.

3 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Everyone here was posting the Bills would have killed the Bengals in the AFCC and maybe the Rams in the SB....without Tre-- or Elam, for that matter.

I think they would have beaten the Bengals at home but it would have been a high scoring shootout type of game. Our D last year would not have stopped the Bengals. It wouldn't have been a sure thing but I would have liked the Bills chances to get to the Super Bowl. 

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Your Brown Eye said:

why would he do that? He's 28, at the top of his game, at a premium position. You think he's going to pass up an 8 figure a year deal for some pennies on the dollar?

Def not a vet minimum lol at best a 1yr manageable deal. His Stocks at its lowest right now (time of year). If the marker isn't what he wants he'd be smart to sign 1yr w/ a contender for a lil less, parlay a SB ring into a fat payday.

Different scenario, but not too dissimilar than what Juju ended up doing last year (minus contender)

Can’t really see it happening. He’s going to want to be a full time starter, and once White is back, I think the Bills will want Elam to be the #2 with Dane #3. Obviously wouldn’t be mad about it for the right price because you can always use more talent, but don’t think he comes to Buffalo.

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, Motor26 said:

Can’t really see it happening. He’s going to want to be a full time starter, and once White is back, I think the Bills will want Elam to be the #2 with Dane #3. Obviously wouldn’t be mad about it for the right price because you can always use more talent, but don’t think he comes to Buffalo.

If he is on one year deal he would be CB #2 with took as #3 when White is healthy; I expect even if he is healthy snap counts will be limited.

Dane would be used as #4.

7 minutes ago, Motor26 said:

Same here. I think $$$ prevents it from happening. If Beane can make it work then I am all for it. The Dolphins and Jets for example have some nice weapons at WR so adding a talented CB to our group would be a wise move.

10 hours ago, Sierra Foothills said:

1. 2016 2nd round pick
  2. 2020 Pro Bowl

I see 6 years in the league, 1 playoff game. Same number as Crowder in 1 less year.

On 5/4/2022 at 11:10 PM, billsbackto81 said:

Tre coming back from an ACL

2nd year CB Dane Jackson

Rookie Kaiir Elam

You're ok with that going into the season with all the high powered offenses we'll see this year? Just asking your opinion, we know it's not our decision to make.

Fast forward a few weeks:

-Fully healthy Tre White

-Likely the best #2 CB we’ve had in McDermott era

-Dane Jackson as depth

-Taron Johnson

Where does Bradberry fit in? Salary cap is a limited resource… I would rather get a cheaper vet CB and save the rest in case we get an injury in camp… or even use that money on a Dawson Knox / Jordan Poyer extension.

Bigger needs, in my opinion.

11 hours ago, Sierra Foothills said:

1. 2016 2nd round pick
  2. 2020 Pro Bowl

1 hour ago, Rico said:

I see 6 years in the league, 1 playoff game. Same number as Crowder in 1 less year.

You asked if he's any good.

As I pointed out he's good but he's also expensive. The real question is whether he's worth what he'll cost.

BTW what does a playoff game and Jamison Crowder have to do with James Bradberry?

53 minutes ago, Sierra Foothills said:

You asked if he's any good.

As I pointed out he's good but he's also expensive. The real question is whether he's worth what he'll cost.

BTW what does a playoff game and Jamison Crowder have to do with James Bradberry?

Neither are associated with winning in the NFL. I like winners.

• Haha (+1) 1

3 hours ago, BillsShredder83 said:

Def not a vet minimum lol at best a 1yr manageable deal. His Stocks at its lowest right now (time of year). If the marker isn't what he wants he'd be smart to sign 1yr w/ a contender for a lil less, parlay a SB ring into a fat payday.

Different scenario, but not too dissimilar than what Juju ended up doing last year (minus contender)

His stock might be at his lowest right now. But in a few weeks when camps start up and injuries start happening, his stock might be at his highest if a team with a window loses their top CB. 

imagine if the Bills start camp and then Elam goes down with a bad injury. I’d imagine Bradberry would be the first call and he would expect everybody penny that Beane has at his disposal. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Your Brown Eye said:

why would he do that? He's 28, at the top of his game, at a premium position. You think he's going to pass up an 8 figure a year deal for some pennies on the dollar?

Have a good year, win a super bowl, and get paid next year even more than he is in store right now. He is not getting some $100M deal this year. If he has a good year that is not out of the question for him. 

4 hours ago, Rigotz said:

Fast forward a few weeks:

-Fully healthy Tre White

-Likely the best #2 CB we’ve had in McDermott era

-Dane Jackson as depth

-Taron Johnson

Where does Bradberry fit in? Salary cap is a limited resource… I would rather get a cheaper vet CB and save the rest in case we get an injury in camp… or even use that money on a Dawson Knox / Jordan Poyer extension.

Bigger needs, in my opinion.

It doesn't necessarily have to be Bradberry but out of the Top 3 vet FAs available, Rhodes and Haden being the others, he's the best of the bunch. If it's all about the money for him then you're right, it's a waste of time. But if he's willing to take a 1 year chance to win a ring it's worth looking in to.

We may be in the market for a couple smaller depth signings. But we're not going to pay the kind of money Bradberry would command and he's not going somewhere to be a rotational player (which is what he'd be here).

Brandon Beane appeared on One Bills Drive and spoke on the subject of veteran releases following the Draft (from 16:00 - 17:10 and transcribed below):

Chris Brown: This is the time of year when teams may throw some vets overboard, dependant on what they got in the Draft and we've seen a little of that already around the league. But will your cap situation allow you to kind of keep looking, if you feel there's a vet or two that can help you?

Brandon Beane: Yeah, I mean, I think the cap is still an issue. We have to be mindful because, you know, even where our cap number sits, that's our Top 51. If you just sit here and look and you do some early roster projections - we need more money to get into the Regular Season. 

If we were cutting it down right now, based on certain criteria, not knowing how it's gonna play out, if you were just doing a guess at roughly some of the ways it could break down, we need another 3 or 4 million bucks for that. And then you got replacement costs. Guys that get injured between now and that time, or even in season, you need to save (for that). You're always looking to have 5-6 million bucks going into that.

So we don't have a lot of flexibility. But, yes, we'll still be out there looking for some vets. Hopefully they're at our price.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.